• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought my first bolt gun

turbomilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
San Diego CA
Hey there guys i just bought my first bolt gun and thought i would share it with you guys.
It is a Remington 700 with a 26in fluted barrel chambered in 308. Came with a HS precision stock and a bushnell 3x9.
I did have a couple questions about what possible model it is? I figured out so far that it was made in june or 1998 but that is it. I took some pics of the markings on the barrel and was hoping some of you guys could help me identify the markings.

2013-01-27_13-31-34_400_zpsc7203ca6.jpg

2013-01-27_12-50-04_872_zps5febd762.jpg

Some pics of the markings
2013-01-27_12-49-54_879_zps5b1f00d2.jpg

2013-01-27_12-49-15_352_zps59de3a9c.jpg

Thanks for checking it out guys

Re: Bought my first bolt gun

Very nice rifle.
You can go on remingtons website, i believe its under contact information and send a request for them to provide a history of the rifle.
I think it costs a couple bucks, if if you really want to know, thats the best way imo.

Looks like a 700 VSSF. (Varmint Special Stainless Fluted). Remington built them for about ten years from around 1994-95 to 2004-05 Great gun, really well balanced.

A friend of mine had one in .223, and it was the most accurate Remington factory gun I've ever had the opportunity to shoot. I should have bought it from him, but I was caught up in AR-15s back then!

It's a Sendero. I had one just like it in .300 RUM that I built into an Edge. That's the pre SFII model without the shaded flutes.

Very nice first rifle. Very nice addition to anyones collection, in all honesty. I'm confident you will get a lot of good use and fun out of it.

Sorry I have not input on the model.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a Sendero. I had one just like it in .300 RUM that I built into an Edge. That's the pre SFII model without the shaded flutes. </div></div>

No it is not a "Sendero", Sendero's are ALL long action calibers.

Short action are Varmint Special(wood stocked older models till about 94-only exception was the 25-06 Varmint Special was a long action) or VS=Varmint Synthetic, VSF=Varmint Synthetic Fluted or as the above VSSF= Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted

So i looked at both of those models and my rifle is right in between both. The Vssf does not come in 308 and neither does the sendero. I will have to call remington, to actually find out. Either way if it were an early model of either one, it seems to be a great rifle. I payed 650 for it but it has very little ware. In fact i think it may only have had a box of ammo put through it.
I am hoping to take it out and zero it this week. I will try to keep everyone informed on how it does.