• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bought myself a new "trainer" today... Anschutz 1827 (54 action repeater!)

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Well,

If you have followed any of my posts, you know I envy jbell's Sauer 200TR. Every now and again my built CZ 455PT will keep up, but not consistently. Someone will shout "shooter" but save it, I can hop on his rifle and match his shooting. I've gone about as far as I can with the CZ, so I was looking for an upgrade. I "need" a repeater, so a 40x is out (I know about Blackops conversions but I am not the type to "wait patiently,") as are most Anschutz. The 64 MPR is a repeater, but fuck me, I have a real hard time "settling!" I'm sure it's a great rifle, but I'm the guy who bought the M3 over the 335ci, I'm the guy who bought the AW over the AE. Knowing that they make a "more accurate" 54 action, I couldn't buy a 64.

So then I found out about the Anschutz 54.18 MSR. 54 action, repeater, done deal. Except they don't fucking exist. Well, not if you want to buy one right fucking now. But, my google fu is strong, and I ended up randomly coming across a rifle that is probably even MORE rare, an 1827 Biathlon, non Fortner, so it is a 54 match receiver with the supermatch trigger. Same rifle, different (equally good) stock. So, I bought it! Mine came through in an Eberle stock. I'm hoping it shoots! I was pretty stoked, so I thought I'd share. I just paid for it, I won't expect to see it too soon, but here is a pic:

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I built my main vein smallbore silhouette rifle off of a 1427 biathlon rifle and it is a great gun.... Your gun has a different set up for the action screws than a 1700 series Anschutz 54 using larger screws with a different spacing. (I think.) Also should have the super badass two stage trigger.... Also better than the 1700 series.....

Now get your ass out and start doing some biathlons!

Hey Merlin! Get your ass back over to SteelChickens! Who let you out of your cage? Haha!

Now get your ass out and start doing some biathlons!

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHABAWHAHAHAHBAWHAHHAH! But if you decide to let me know and Ill go buy a Fortner and start them with you!

I have 1st dibs on this bitch when he hates it (fingers crossed)...

Nice score buddy! I cant wait to shoot it. Think you will be very happy, but I hope not ;).

Very nice, BM11!

I like Biathlons... compact, lightweight, well balanced and suitable for any position!

You are going to love that trigger BTW! Makes the Jewel on my centerfire feel like a POS.

Very nice, BM11!

I like Biathlons... compact, lightweight, well balanced and suitable for any position!

You are going to love that trigger BTW! Makes the Jewel on my centerfire feel like a POS.

Do you happen to know the model number of the trigger?

Ok, I have done some research today working on finding the specs for my new rifle. This one I guess has a colored past, having seen use supposedly by the US Olympic team.

Digging through, I have found that the model is 1827B, at which point I have found that it has the 5020 trigger. Further searching shows that the 5020 trigger is the same as the 5018 (yes!) the difference being that the 5018 is adjusted to 100g from the factory and the 5020 is set at 500g.

Last edited:
Right on! You should still see an "18" in the trigger frame. The only difference is a set of springs that you can swap out if you want the lighter trigger like the 5018. It is a beautiful trigger. I have two rifles with the 5018 and they do make a person smile!

Thats why I hang out with you... I am hoping some of your good luck rubs off on me.

Dang! a 3.5 oz trigger? Now that's what I call a light trigger pull (or more accurately "trigger touch").

Right on! You should still see an "18" in the trigger frame. The only difference is a set of springs that you can swap out if you want the lighter trigger like the 5018. It is a beautiful trigger. I have two rifles with the 5018 and they do make a person smile!

I doubt that 17 ounces will be too much, but in case I want to mess with a super light trigger, can you direct me where I might be able to buy the spring set for the 5018 trigger?

I doubt that 17 ounces will be too much, but in case I want to mess with a super light trigger, can you direct me where I might be able to buy the spring set for the 5018 trigger?

Google "Champions Choice". The owner is Neil Stepp and that is THE source for Anschutz parts in the US. Hold onto your britches though. Anschutz parts are EXPENSIVE!

Bm don't waste your time on that rifle, i know someone, that knows someone, that know he's brother, who knows his uncle. said you will not like it as much as you think or hope!!!!!!!
but being the type of guy's we are, me an jbell will flip for it, winner takes all, jbell don't use your 2 headed coin,

all bull shit aside, DAMM NICE RIG< please dont shoot it in the 5 @ 6 game you have started.
i already feel some scores sliding down the chart

Google "Champions Choice". The owner is Neil Stepp and that is THE source for Anschutz parts in the US. Hold onto your britches though. Anschutz parts are EXPENSIVE!

Also Homer at Champion Shooters Supply may be able to help you out. If they cant give me a shout I know people ;)

Bm don't waste your time on that rifle, i know someone, that knows someone, that know he's brother, who knows his uncle. said you will not like it as much as you think or hope!!!!!!!
but being the type of guy's we are, me an jbell will flip for it, winner takes all, jbell don't use your 2 headed coin,

all bull shit aside, DAMM NICE RIG< please dont shoot it in the 5 @ 6 game you have started.
i already feel some scores sliding down the chart

I wouldn't think of it, I have a weighted coin that is a sure winner...

Very cool gun. I also like the balance and the deep belly that biathlon guns have. They are very good offhand.

So what would you guys say the over/under is on this barrel being shot out? I imagine it has seen some rounds. I onky ask because the whole purpose of this is an upgrade in accuracy over my Lilja barreled CZ. I know it takes a LOT of rounds to shoot out a .22, BUT this rifle has probably seen a LOT of rounds, knowing it was a US Olympic Team rifle.

Edit to add: I'm sure no matter the round count it will still shoot better than the average factory 10/22, but I'm looking for the utmost precision.

Last edited:
I would say shoot a hundred or so rounds at the range and see for yourself before you get ideas instilled in you mind that you already want a rebarrel! :)

My last new 1712 shot around 1" at 100. ~ 500 rounds later......It is at my gunsmith right now getting a new Shillen Ratchet barrel.....,.,

Anschutz has generally very good barrels but very good is a relative term.... 1" might be fine or totally unacceptable..depends what you want/need. For me losing a 1/4" off the group size is worth about 700.00.

Last edited:
Like Merlin says... "shot out" is very subjective. It's my opinion that rimfire barrels don't ever "shoot out". They might lose their competitive edge depending on the level of competition the firearm is intended for. Is it going to be a primary firearm to take you to a gold medal in the Olympics, national level Benchrest, silhouette, hunting... etc.

There is only one way to determine if it will meet your standard and that is to try several lots of your intended level of ammunition. Don't just try one lot of SK Std+ and make a decision off that. The last time I bought ammo for my silhouette rifle I tried 7 different lots of SK Std+ using Lapua's testing equipment. The worst lot was about 1.75" at 100m and the best was .75". So you cannot just shoot one lot and say a rifle is accurate or not. If you test with a lot# that your gun doesn't agree with then make the decision that your gun is "shot out" then you may have just bypassed an ultra-accurate lot#. The $600 you spend on a new barrel/install would have bought you a bunch of ammo that your rifle shoots outstanding.

Lastly, when looking to eeek out the last little thousandths of accuracy from a rimfire there are no guarantees. Your Anschutz barrel might shoot .75" to 1" at 100yds and you decide to go with a custom barrel. There is no guarantee that the new barrel will beat it. It's like a race car... when you are looking for the improvements at the top end generally the improvements are going to be small and expensive.

One last thing. Probably the best thing going right now is the Lapua Testing Center in Mesa Arizona. You can ship them your barreled action and $50 and they will test a bunch of different lots and types of their ammunition through your rifle. They will print out all the results (velocities, accuracy... etc). Then when they are done you can see exactly which lot numbers and type (centerX, Std+, Midas... etc) shoot well in your gun. Then if you decide to buy at least a case of ammo they apply the $50 toward the purchase. To me this is WELL worth the money.

Reactions: camocorvette
One last thing. Probably the best thing going right now is the Lapua Testing Center in Mesa Arizona. You can ship them your barreled action and $50 and they will test a bunch of different lots and types of their ammunition through your rifle. They will print out all the results (velocities, accuracy... etc). Then when they are done you can see exactly which lot numbers and type (centerX, Std+, Midas... etc) shoot well in your gun. Then if you decide to buy at least a case of ammo they apply the $50 toward the purchase. To me this is WELL worth the money.

Yep. I'm actually flying out there a couple days after my rifle comes in, so I'll definitely have them test it, only I'll be there in person.

Just to clarify... Ifffff you buy the ammo from the test facility they'll wave the $50 fee, the catch is you'll be paying retail.

The other way to do it is to call around for the best price from Lapua distributors, like for instance Champions Choice, and receive a discounted price. Doing it this way you'll have to pay the $50 fee but if you buy a case or more you'll save 2-3 dollars a box of 50 for the higher grade ammo. If the distributor doesn't have the lot#'s you want in stock it'll ship directly from the Lapua facility to you at the discounted price.

Ever since I bought the best tested lot of Polar Biathlon for my rifle every group I've shot out of my 1827F have touched all five at 50Y. Last two 5ers shots off of concrete were in the mid to high 1's. For me it really was worth having Lapua test the ammo for me.

This I did not know about. I was aware of Eley opening one in Texas. I am quite thrilled at the prospect of each of my favorite makers now having a facility. I may have to finally decide on a maker and product and get a few cases of the lot that tests the best.

Great rifle! What are your plans for it (I could be misreading it, but sounds like you mostly purchased it for the action and are planning on building it into something)?

Great rifle! What are your plans for it (I could be misreading it, but sounds like you mostly purchased it for the action and are planning on building it into something)?

It's going to be a "tactical trainer." Meaning I am going to use it as an analogue to my centerfire rifle, practicing multi position scoped shooting from 50-230 yards. I will start by removing the sights, adding a 25 MOA DIP rail and putting on a mil/mil scope. Hopefully I won't need to re stock it or rebarrel it.

Well,

If you have followed any of my posts, you know I envy jbell's Sauer 200TR. Every now and again my built CZ 455PT will keep up, but not consistently. Someone will shout "shooter" but save it, I can hop on his rifle and match his shooting. I've gone about as far as I can with the CZ, so I was looking for an upgrade. I "need" a repeater, so a 40x is out (I know about Blackops conversions but I am not the type to "wait patiently,") as are most Anschutz. The 64 MPR is a repeater, but fuck me, I have a real hard time "settling!" I'm sure it's a great rifle, but I'm the guy who bought the M3 over the 335ci, I'm the guy who bought the AW over the AE. Knowing that they make a "more accurate" 54 action, I couldn't buy a 64.

So then I found out about the Anschutz 54.18 MSR. 54 action, repeater, done deal. Except they don't fucking exist. Well, not if you want to buy one right fucking now. But, my google fu is strong, and I ended up randomly coming across a rifle that is probably even MORE rare, an 1827 Biathlon, non Fortner, so it is a 54 match receiver with the supermatch trigger. Same rifle, different (equally good) stock. So, I bought it! Mine came through in an Eberle stock. I'm hoping it shoots! I was pretty stoked, so I thought I'd share. I just paid for it, I won't expect to see it too soon, but here is a pic:

Congrats on the 1827! I'm sure it will continue to shoot well for you despite its likely high round count.

I have the same gun in the factory stock that routinely shoots in the .2's with Lapua Center x with some of the better groups measuring in the .17" range at 50m. The actions on these rifles are truly superb and almost feel hydraulic in their function. Mine just wears a cheapie Bushnell right now but will be up-graded as funds allow.

Look forward to your range results, I'm sure it will impress.

Here's mine with an 1827F:

P1010318.jpg

Nice rifle. I just bought a 1710 HB that should be on its way within the week. The seller apparently has moved on to an Olympic style Anschutz with 20x scope that is punching one hole in paper no matter how many times he pulls the trigger.

Nice rifle,

The 1827 rifles that come out of the biathlon circuit generally do not have a high round count. The reason being that they were produced in a short timeperiod and then replaced by Fortners en masse.

Don't replace the barrel before you test it. These rifles had to shoot 10 rounds inside 10mm(.40 inch) at 50m in the QC at the factory in a cold chamber at -20degC. I have a 1308 moving target rifle with 140k rounds that still shoots .8 moa@50m. I bought it new as a JR in 1978.

The most frustrating issue by shooting Anschutz high end biathlon rifles is that all CF rifles feels like POS.

20131010_141946_zps6bba7c42.jpg

First range trip yesterday. Shot this string of groups at 100 yards with Center X.

20131010_134551_zps0e3639ad.jpg

Fucking flier. Literally the last round out of 3 that blew up the last group and the respective average. It was a mis feed caused by using an 11mm rail without an ejection port cutout, I shouod have grabbed a fresh round but hindsight is always 20/20.

I had the good fortune to be able to take BM11's Anschutz 1527 out to the range today. I have to say it does impress. It took me a few targets to get used to the stock but after I figured that out I was able to shoot 100 yard groups that mirrored the targets above. I was however able to get a few really decent groups here are two of them:

Both targets are 1" in diameter. The groups were both in the low 0.300" range and shot at 100 yards off a Harris and a sand sock prone and the rifle had the SS 12X pictured above. The ammo was Laupa Center X and the conditions were nice: mid 60's overcast and light wind. This is a very accurate rifle and it is going to be hard to determine the true potential of this one...

Does the cheekrest on that rifle feel alright?

Look mighty narrow and thin.

Yes, it's just a right handed stock so when veiwed from the right side you don't really see the cheek rest.

Wow, I have to say, I didn't expect it to so easily lay waste to your Lilja barreled CZ. I'll bet you are glad you made the switch.

Thanks. It should note that the 6 groups I posted were the only groups I shot at 100 yards, other than 5 dope confirmation rounds. So those weren't cherry picked, and I didn't test different lot numbers either.

Thanks. It should note that the 6 groups I posted were the only groups I shot at 100 yards, other than 5 dope confirmation rounds. So those weren't cherry picked, and I didn't test different lot numbers either.

I did cherry pick the groups that I posted, but only to show what this rifle can do (I think it can actually do even better with a better shooter). I hope you hang on to it for a while, I think after you get some time behind it we are going to see some good accuracy...

Of course you guys are showing what these rifles can do, but.... you guys can freaking shoot! Nice work! Next time I want to test ammo I'm not sending my rifles to Lapua, I'm sending them to you.