• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bought once already, fixing that accident.

Adician

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I bought a scope recently that I thought fit my needs pretty well. It went on a range gun, and it had 8-32 power. I liked it. It only cost me around $250
It won't hold zero for ****. I'd much prefer to spend the bucks on a good scope, one that I can rely on for holding zero with a 5.56. If that small of a round knocks it off, it's annoying.

At first I looked at fixed power, then I read around the site and other various sites for a few hours. I still can't seem to find a good recommendation as far as a 400-550 scope goes.

I shoot this often with someone who's eyes aren't doing so well, so I'd prefer the optics power to be on the lengthy side. Any and all help appreciated.

Re: Bought once already, fixing that accident.

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 w/ mildot reticle.

Very good glass
Excellent Knobs
Built very well

It is on the top end of that $550. You may be able to find a used one for a bit less. I just sold one for $525.

I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my gun again (had I not upgraded to a Nightforce).

Thank you very much! I was looking at that. First I saw the 3200, but to be honest, I want the buy once cry once deal.

Not the spend $350 four times and keep replacing the same ****** scope.

Any other recommendations and reasons are welcome.

Have a look at the Vortex Vipers. They make them with multiple choices in reticles.

Libertyoptics.com or the Vortex web site.

In the $425-500 range.
I have been very please with mine.

The Vortex Viper is an awesome scope for the money. Get in touch with Scott at Liberty Optics. His prices includes shipping and he is a sponsor on SH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any other options for that price range?
Thanks! </div></div>

+1 more for the Vortex Viper. I just got mine in the mail a few days ago. I got the 6.5-20x44 BDC version off of the Vortex website for $399 plus $10 shipping. The glass is as good as any I've ever seen, at high magnification it is still clear enough that I can read an orange construction sign that is close to 3/4 of a mile away.

Alright, I'm seeing a Vortex theme.

Is it at all foggy? How well does it let in light? Are there sunshades or factory scope covers(flip up) that I can purchase? Is there a windage knob?

Thanks a lot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, I'm seeing a Vortex theme.

Is it at all foggy? How well does it let in light? Are there sunshades or factory scope covers(flip up) that I can purchase? Is there a windage knob?

Thanks a lot! </div></div>

Not foggy in the least. It's is the most clear glass I've ever looked through. You can get a sunshade from Vortex, its 25 bucks or so. You'll need a 2" and 1.5" caps if you get the x44 model which should be standard sizes that the flip up caps come in. The turrets have a very solid click feel and sound and are idiot proof to set to zero. There is a thread around here somewhere about a guy hunting hogs at night with his Vortex scope if you're wondering about light transmission.

Here's a few pictures...none through the scope unfortunately because we've been having some crappy weather here lately.

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Holy crap, that's some nice looking glass! Thanks for the pictures.

Today I looked at a friends Leupold, and it literally blew me away compared to the POS one I had mounted that couldn't hold zero. It lit up the daylight like everything was yellow.

It convinced me that I should spend more on glass and less on gadgets. I don't necessarily need Leupold quality, but I'd like something with windage knobs that can be set to zero and has variable magnification. I'm definitely leaning towards the Viper now.

Just a general question: Do all Vortex scopes tint the view yellow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a general question: Do all Vortex scopes tint the view yellow? </div></div>

I haven't noticed a yellow tint in mine...
Nice sharp clear image.
Eye relief becomes shorter at the higher magnifications, but not too bad.

Sorry, by yellow tint, I meant that the amount of light let in was almost unbelievable.

Also, I've narrowed down my choices to a Vortex 6.5-20X50 Milret, or a Bushnell elite 4.5-30X50 milret.

Which one of these would be better for shooting targets? I think it's the Bushnell, but I have limited optics experience. Also, more money does not always mean better quality, but it sure seems like it in the optics world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking more towards higher magnification, thanks.

I could go up to 750 tops.

Any help is great! </div></div>

Call Scott @ Liberty Optics about the 6-24x SIGHTRON SIII LRMD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Call Scott @ Liberty Optics about the 6-24x SIGHTRON SIII LRMD. </div></div>

May I ask why the recommendation of this scope?
Thanks

Best scope you can buy under $1500. Just my opinion.

I did exactly what Sdeadeye did. Same scope. I also own a Leupold 6-20X40 older VIII. Side by side I'll take the Vortex at less than 1/2 the price. When you order from the Vortex site they drop ship from the closest dealer. I had mine in three days. Then I got an email from Vortex to check on the service received. Link http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x44-pa-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle

I like the vortex.

It looks to have the usual turrets. Up down, left right, and focus.

Does it have windage? Can I reset the turrets to zero my rifle?

Windage is left and right.

Yes they can be set to zero on the dials once you sight in your scope.

Last question. Is it really better than the Bushnell elite 6500 in terms of quality and usage?

I like the 30X the bushnell has over the 20X the Viper does.

You won't need 30x for most applications, especially if you're not shooting bench competitions.

Viper is the current love-child on the board. They are very good, but the current craze is all about Viper. If it aint Viper, it aint shit seems like the theme of the week here on the board. I'm not knocking them, just don't allow the current "scope of the week" to influence you too much.

The Bushnells are excellent scopes, and I wouldn't hesitate to throw one on any of my rifles.

I would look hard at the Elite 4200 6-24x50. It has the tactical turrets, side focus, etc etc, and also has very good glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't need 30x for most applications, especially if you're not shooting bench competitions.

Viper is the current love-child on the board. They are very good, but the current craze is all about Viper. If it aint Viper, it aint shit seems like the theme of the week here on the board. I'm not knocking them, just don't allow the current "scope of the week" to influence you too much.

The Bushnells are excellent scopes, and I wouldn't hesitate to throw one on any of my rifles.

I would look hard at the Elite 4200 6-24x50. It has the tactical turrets, side focus, etc etc, and also has very good glass. </div></div>

Thank you very much. There seems to be an option to add tac-mil turrets to the scope. Will this do the same thing as the 4200? 6500 is the one I'm shooting for most because it has the widest variety of mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Elite 4200 6-24x50 already has tactical turrets (the 6-24x40 does not). </div></div>

May I ask you some questions VIA Pm?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the vortex.

Does it have windage? Can I reset the turrets to zero my rifle? </div></div>

Just a suggestion,
Try to find several of these scopes at a sporting goods store local to you. You really should look at several and let your eyes make the final decision.
We all have opinions based on our experiences and OUR uses for the listed scopes.
All the scopes that have been suggested are very nice. They have good power ranges, re-settable target type knobs, side parallax adjustments and have good track records for tracking.

The reticles will differ in their thicknesses and their will be variations in the total internal elevation travel.
You will need to decide what you really want to use it for and then narrow things down based on your criteria.

I have never used of seen the Bushnell 6500 x-30, but the comments I have read have not been positive regarding the usability of the scope at the upper end of the power range. Seems they tend to get dark. This would not be an issue if you only use it in bright conditions...

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the vortex.

Does it have windage? Can I reset the turrets to zero my rifle? </div></div>

Just a suggestion,
Try to find several of these scopes at a sporting goods store local to you. You really should look at several and let your eyes make the final decision.
We all have opinions based on our experiences and OUR uses for the listed scopes.
All the scopes that have been suggested are very nice. They have good power ranges, re-settable target type knobs, side parallax adjustments and have good track records for tracking.

The reticles will differ in their thicknesses and their will be variations in the total internal elevation travel.
You will need to decide what you really want to use it for and then narrow things down based on your criteria.

I have never used of seen the Bushnell 6500 x-30, but the comments I have read have not been positive regarding the usability of the scope at the upper end of the power range. Seems they tend to get dark. This would not be an issue if you only use it in bright conditions...

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.
</div></div>

I'll probably head to the nearest Cabelas and see if they have anything. I'm just looking for something worth my money now.

Keep in mind it is far easier to find a top-notch low-power scope if you are on a budget....under $1K. It is much more difficult...and therefore more more costly to make a top of the line high-power scope.

You say your eyes are bad. That does not necessarily mean you will be happier with lots of magnification. In fact, high-power scopes have many more issues to deal with: small exit pupil & field of view, dim image, parallax & mirage issues. Just something to consider.

If you want a crystal clear scope for less than $1K, you might want to also consider a fixed power scope. Once again, its a lot easier/cheaper to make a super crisp fixed-power scope than a variable.

Also, you noted that your cheap scope had problems maintaining zero. The lesson there is to put your cash into getting a durable scope...not necessarily one with lots of magnification.

For $500, I think there are several Leupolds that would serve you very well.

Scott at Liberty Optics sells Leupold and several other good brands. Give him a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind it is far easier to find a top-notch low-power scope if you are on a budget....under $1K. It is much more difficult...and therefore more more costly to make a top of the line high-power scope.

You say your eyes are bad. That does not necessarily mean you will be happier with lots of magnification. In fact, high-power scopes have many more issues to deal with: small exit pupil & field of view, dim image, parallax & mirage issues. Just something to consider.

If you want a crystal clear scope for less than $1K, you might want to also consider a fixed power scope. Once again, its a lot easier/cheaper to make a super crisp fixed-power scope than a variable.

Also, you noted that your cheap scope had problems maintaining zero. The lesson there is to put your cash into getting a durable scope...not necessarily one with lots of magnification.

For $500, I think there are several Leupolds that would serve you very well.

Scott at Liberty Optics sells Leupold and several other good brands. Give him a call. </div></div>

Actually, budget is 800-950 or so now.

Everytime I look at the scope, I die a little inside knowing I could've prevented wasting money. Buy once, cry once.

I'd like a scope with atleast 20 power and windage options. Leupold doesn't have many scopes I like under 1k, and the next option is getting mixed reviews all over the board.

You could also look at a Trijicon accupoint. They have one that is 5-20x50 with illuminated reticle that doesn't need batteries. Comes in at just a bit over $1k. Nice scopes.
IOR Valdada also makes a 16x42 for $799. IOR is rugged and has very nice glass.
check them out here

http://libertyoptics.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also look at a Trijicon accupoint. They have one that is 5-20x50 with illuminated reticle that doesn't need batteries. Comes in at just a bit over $1k. Nice scopes.
check them out here

http://libertyoptics.com/ </div></div>

They do have nice glass, but the internal adjustments are lacking. I saw a stat on a handful of retailers web pages that showed as little as 37 MOA elevation travel.

In my experience if you want a 20x or higher mag optic and you actually want it to be clear up in those ranges you have to go to top of the line. The bushnell's you are speaking about start to get very foggy around 20x. At least the ones I have used which include the 6500 and 4500. Very nice glass at the lower powers though.

There have been many good options suggested.
See how many you can get a look at, then...

Call Scott and discuss some of them...

www.libertyoptics.com
"See Better, Shoot Better"
406-890-2714
If no answer 352-572-1469
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience if you want a 20x or higher mag optic and you actually want it to be clear up in those ranges you have to go to top of the line. The bushnell's you are speaking about start to get very foggy around 20x. At least the ones I have used which include the 6500 and 4500. Very nice glass at the lower powers though. </div></div>

I never had any clarity issues with my Bushnell 6-24x50 at high powers. I'm not arguing it as a NF in disguise, but it was still very good glass.

Bushnell also has a VERY good "No Questions Asked" return policy for the first year, and a lifetime warranty after that.

As soon as their new FFP scopes come out, I'll very likely be getting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also look at a Trijicon accupoint. They have one that is 5-20x50 with illuminated reticle that doesn't need batteries. Comes in at just a bit over $1k. Nice scopes.
check them out here

http://libertyoptics.com/ </div></div>

They do have nice glass, but the internal adjustments are lacking. I saw a stat on a handful of retailers web pages that showed as little as 37 MOA elevation travel. </div></div>

I am not sure what is going on there. Maybe these places are giving out bad info, but I just physically checked my 2.5-10x56 accupoint and it has 70 moa of travel on elevation and windage. The IOR has 100 moa.

As was previously stated, and well I will add, by eleaf:
"Viper is the current love-child on the board. They are very good, but the current craze is all about Viper. If it aint Viper, it aint shit seems like the theme of the week here on the board. I'm not knocking them, just don't allow the current "scope of the week" to influence you too much."

Nobody has asked once about what kind of mount system Adician has on his $250 scope that won't hold zero.... Duh, maybe the scope is just jolly-well FINE!

Unless you are setup with High Quality scope rings and mount; your results will be suspect. Case in point: I built a .308 and ordered Badger rings and mount from Premier back in `98 something. Premier shipped me Leupold mk4 rings, with my okay, because they were out of Badger rings. The Leupold rings slipped. I returned the rings, got some BO rings and with same ammo and rifle unchanged, except for the BO rings; shot 5rd grps under .4" @ 100yds and under .75" at 200yds. Was using a 6x Mk4 M3 with target dot reticle, but the failure I experienced was due to ring slippage.

You read the shit here and think what you think.
If your scope mount is an STD type, or is setup with poor components; that may be your problem.

You might want to invest about $65 in a bore-sighting collimator to help you diagnose scope issues. Some of the "cheap" scopes actually perform damn well. Simmons Aetec and Nikon Buckmasters to name a couple.

Sales on this site are Big Business. Until you can diagnose your own rifle performance issues you will spend tons of money trying to get there. With a good mount system and collimator you will eliminate many variables and be able to diagnose the rest.

I had a used leupold vx-III 6.5-20x40mm with M1's on my .308 for a long time. The scope worked and performed flawlessly for what i wanted it for. I used it for hunting and target shooting. Never checked to see if MOA was truly MOA with the scope. I never had a problem with it losing zero and only took it off because i bought a USO ST-10. I finally figured out that scope power isn't everything for me and 10x would be about perfect for what i need. You can pick up leupold vx-III's for 500-600 bucks and put m1's on for another $180 and get leupolds awesome customer service. I understand some of the bad mouthing of leupold lately but hey whatever works and leupold has worked for me just fine. Farthest i can shoot is 1200 Yards and it worked for that.

I just taked to Scott at Liberty Optics after I got the number from this thread. he seemed to really like the Viper or the Sightron 6X24X50. I havent heard much about Sightron. What do you guys think about that scope set up for $749?