• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Bow advice anyone?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm sick of being stuck with only two weeks to hunt whitetail so I'm seriously considering getting into bowhunting. I've looked at the various retailers and feel like Mathews Z7 and the Diamond Fugitive bows. I'm a stocky guy so probably going with a 26.5" draw @ 70lbs or so.

Any thoughts?

Re: Bow advice anyone?

I like my z7. I did shorten my draw one inch. Makes it easier to shoot with a hunting coat. Although any of the bows you mentioned will be great bows. Kinda like ford vrs Chevy. If it works then it good. That being said. Personally I would recommend Mathews. Lol. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions. I will try to answer them. Like my experience with arrows,broad head,and various equipment.

I'm a mathews fan myself. I've always been a fan of compact bows, I'm hot a very tall person, so I've been sticking with my mathews DXT since it came out a few years back. My neighbor upgraded his switchback for a Z7 when it came out and it's been a great bow for him. He loves it. We have the same draw length so i've shot it quite a bit, the Z7 is a great bow just a little to long axle to axle for my liking. Very smooth, nice release, let off is great. If they would have swept the limbs back a little more like on my DXT, I would have picked one up in a heart beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've always been a fan of compact bows,

the Z7 is a great bow just a little to long axle to axle for my liking. </div></div>

I'm the opposite. Been shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 since they came out and I love the longer ATA bows. I just picked up a used Drenalin and the first thing I noticed about it compared to my Maxxis was how torquey the thing is at full draw. It's a 33 ATA bow. I ordered a new grip for it so we'll see if that helps. Longer ATA bows are more forgiving for me.

Bubba, this just shows that everybody is built different and prefer different things in bows. You need to get measured for DL and just start shooting as many as you can and decide for yourself what you like.

I just tested 4 new bows today. The matthews HeliM, Hoyt vector 32, an elite, and the hoyt carbon rkt.

If your thinking matthews try the HeliM, it is a nice shooting bow, compact, and very light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sick of being stuck with only two weeks to hunt whitetail so I'm seriously considering getting into bowhunting. I've looked at the various retailers and feel like Mathews Z7 and the Diamond Fugitive bows. I'm a stocky guy so probably going with a 26.5" draw @ 70lbs or so.

Any thoughts? </div></div>

I would say you cant pick a bow without shooting it first.

Go shoot a BUNCH of different brands and models. Than see what one YOU like best.

Another thing to consider is how well the local archery range backs the bows they are selling. I currently shoot a bow tech. There are many good bows to be had as goose stated go and shoot as many as you can. I would also have someone in the know check your draw length, 26.5 sounds short.

shoot every bow you can get access too. buy the one that feels most comfortable to you.

26.5 is what I shoot. Today's performance compounds are very well suited for short draw archers and great speeds can be achieved easily with the right arrow to compliment the bow specs. You can measure your own draw length by measuring your wing span. Hold both arms straight out to your side fingers extended. Then have someone measure across your back from finger tip to finger tip. Whatever the number divide by 2.5 and that will be your draw length. I am not a brand loyal guy and I have shot lots of different brands of bows over the years. It will come down to the little things a bow offers like brace height or grip design that sets them apart. I shot a Bowtech Destoyer 350 which had a 6" brace height. I found that I don't shoot it as well as a bow that has a 7" brace height which can be more forgiving but slightly slower. I will give up the few FPS for comfort & confidence shoot what feels good to you. The bow that makes you say WOW after the arrow thwacks the target should be your choice. I sold the Bowtech because the PSE Evo 7 was that bow for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I actually had our admin guy help me measure last night. 66" divided by 2.5 is 26.5". Sounds good to me, though I will go in and get fitted just to be sure.

I'm looking for a good pro shop in Maryland to shoot a Mathews and a few other brands if at all possible. There's one on the other side of Baltimore but that will take two hours to drive to from DC. Eh, it might be worth it.

Ive shot them all. U defntly want to shoot several before u drop that kind of cash. That being said i like matthews. Bowtech and hoyt are great bows also

Everyone says try a bunch and see what you like. What they fail to mention is that based on your size there may only be one or two bows that you can use.

When I went looking to get my first bow earlier this year I had a list of 3-4 that I was interested it. I showed up, the guy took one look at me and promptly told me which bow I would be buying based on my size, I am about 6'5. So I ended up with a Matthews Z9, overall I couldn't be happier, but I wouldn't of minded a few different options.

Get a self long bow.
Some bodkin points on cedar shafts with feather fletching.
Shoot a bow, not a string actuated rifle.

Think about used as well. There are great buys on bows that previous owners have painted camo. Accessories are really pricy and when you buy used they are really discounted.

With 26-27" draw most bows can have the draw length changed to fit you. Some without changing the wheels/cams.

Recurve bows are fun as well. But the lack of speed is a pain when hunting is involved.

Get the most highend you can afford. I shoot a Z7 but the highend hoyts PSE, Diamond ETC are all nice. I wouldn't shy away from a used one either. There can be some real deals to be had esp if you get some accessories with them as well.

And shoot the hell out of it. shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've always been a fan of compact bows,

the Z7 is a great bow just a little to long axle to axle for my liking. </div></div>

I'm the opposite. Been shooting a Hoyt Maxxis 35 since they came out and I love the longer ATA bows. I just picked up a used Drenalin and the first thing I noticed about it compared to my Maxxis was how torquey the thing is at full draw. It's a 33 ATA bow. I ordered a new grip for it so we'll see if that helps. Longer ATA bows are more forgiving for me.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Bubba, this just shows that everybody is built different and prefer different things in bows. You need to get measured for DL and just start shooting as many as you can and decide for yourself what you l</span>ike</span>. </div></div>

Exactly. Find a good bow shop and shoot EVERYTHING they have. Good thing about bows (unlike guns) is that you can shoot them in store before you buy them.

ZL i recently shot the PSE omen and was very happy with the bow. light extremely fast and just felt good all around. a very nice peice i think you would be pleased with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sick of being stuck with only two weeks to hunt whitetail so I'm seriously considering getting into bowhunting. I've looked at the various retailers and feel like Mathews Z7 and the Diamond Fugitive bows. I'm a stocky guy so probably going with a 26.5" draw @ 70lbs or so.

Any thoughts? </div></div>

I would say you cant pick a bow without shooting it first.

Go shoot a BUNCH of different brands and models. Than see what one YOU like best.</div></div>

EXACTLY...you've got to hold them and shoot them to know what's best for you.

Stay safe in the shit-hole!

I love my z7 extreme. The draw cycle through the valley is so smooth. I had an xlr8 30" draw 80lbs and you had to be a man to pull it back. I'm a big guy too 6'4 240 and the z7 extreme is great. If you get one get it with armor tech .10 pins, qad ultra rest, and Mathews arrows fletched with feathers. A lot of people say why feathers and I say the blazer vanes weigh more and can't stabilize the arrow as fast as 4" feathers can. You may could get around 300 fps at 26.5. I love to shoot them with a rifle, but a buck at 25 yards is more exciting than a buck at 500 yards. Let me know if you need info on equipment.

One thing about bows they have no resale value. Just getting into the bow hunting. I would choose an adjustable draw length. The Matthews bow are not. I own 2 of them and love them. But, would go to a Hoyt or PSE adjustable draw length. Their isn't a lot of differences in bows. The Pros shoot the bow that pays them to shoot.
Hope this helps.

Sir,
I read the question but not the replys.
Matthews is top of the line, you will love it. I would consider a 60 pound bow, more so if you hunt in cold weather. I went the heavy bow route but it is nonsense for deer. It will not shoot faster or flatter. You must use heavy arrows with heavy bows and that cancels the gains. A 60 # bow will shoot it's arrows through any deer. You will shoot it better. JMO

I have been shooting now for 4 years. I have a Hoyt Maxxis 31 and love it.
You just have to go to the shop and shoot them all. I found this bow even out of the other Hoyts this one fit me.

A buddy of mine just started shooting. He just bought a Mathews Extream tactical a year ago and thought is was the chit. We have the same draw length. He outshoots himself with my Maxxis. He wishes he would have bought a Hoyt now. But he just had to have that Mathews didn't even realy shoot it when he seen it.

I could never shoot the Mathews, I just feels weird to me. I can't group it for nothing. A guy at the shop was breaking nocks with my buddy's Mathews. But this guy has been shooting all his life.

No matter what you get practice, practice, practice and practice some more. When I first started I found myself shooting for hours a day.
Just don't get mad at it when it doesn't shoot where you want it. Most of the time never the bow. Take a break then go shoot 10 or 20. I would shoot 100 or more a day just doing that.

Somedays just shoot once go do something else come back shoot it againand repeat. Just helps to build muscle memory and the feel of the bow.

Hope this helps
Bryce

Mathews hold their resale value. i sold my first bow from 1998 and sold it for 400. PSE, Hoyt, etc do not hold theirs. i have shot them all and they are all good bows but you get what you pay for. I hate PSE, i mean it stands for Pull Shoot Explode. Never have like them. Bows do hold value though look on ebay and other sights a used z7 extreme is normally going for $1100 loaded new it can be $1500 and up. Mine was. Thats not bad.

Brand loyalty in archery is more prevalent than it is in the suppressor world.

I've got R&R in about 3 weeks and all I'm thinking about is heading to a bow shop to try some out. Due to everyone's advice, I'll expand the bows that I'm looking at. I don't want to be wishing I'd bought another bow a year from now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brand loyalty in archery is more prevalent than it is in the suppressor world. </div></div>

^^^This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got R&R in about 3 weeks and all I'm thinking about is heading to a bow shop to try some out. Due to everyone's advice, I'll expand the bows that I'm looking at. I don't want to be wishing I'd bought another bow a year from now. </div></div>

Shoot everything and don't pay attention to the brand or the price. The archery world is filled with marketing and hype and you can easily overpay for something just because of the name silk-screened onto the limbs. Like I said before, let the bow pick you and spending more doesn't mean it's better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got R&R in about 3 weeks and all I'm thinking about is heading to a bow shop to try some out. Due to everyone's advice, I'll expand the bows that I'm looking at. I don't want to be wishing I'd bought another bow a year from now. </div></div>

Shoot everything and don't pay attention to the brand or the price. The archery world is filled with marketing and hype and you can easily overpay for something just because of the name silk-screened onto the limbs. Like I said before, let the bow pick you and spending more doesn't mean it's better. </div></div>

Well said. Fanboys make me laugh...

I've been bow hunting for the last 7 years... Started with a Hoyt katera and sold that in 2010 to pick up a Z7. I'll never look back as my Matthews has been an outstanding bow. I've harvested some very nice Turks and deer well outside normal bow range (45-60 yards) and feel very comfrontable in doing so. Modern day bows are extremely efficient... Almost feel like I'm cheating. Maybe a recurve is in my future...

1jutdl.jpg

I have a 10 yr old Matthews Ultra II...just no need to change because it gets the job done and has lots of kill history. I just bought 2 of my children bows. A Mission Craze and a Mission Riot with simple adjustable draw length. They will fit them as long as they want to use them and go up to 70# They are both compact, smooth and fast. These new compact bows amazed me at the speed they get from a short draw length. My son is 20" draw and my daughter is 24". Bow technology has come a long way in the 20+ years I have been bow hunting. I would be plenty happy shooting one of the bows I bought for the kids and they were relatively cheap bows.

Best advice I can give is don't be blinded by needing the latest most expensive model. I have learned in the last few years there is just not that much to improve on and you can shoot the bow that was the "thing" 2 years ago for a lot less money than the latest and greatest with very little to no difference in performance. That is especially true for a hunting bow.

MUST MUST MUST shoot several before buying them. Having owned a bunch of different brands, Bowtech Diamond etc etc, YOU WILL NOTICE a difference, even if you're just getting into it. I'm a bowtech guy myself now, but yeah it's like Ford Chevy or more like Mercedes/BMW if you're comparing bowtech and mathews.

Again, I'd shoot 3 brands minimum, 6-8 bows minimum, and shoot the expensive ones versus the cheap ones. There will be cheap ones that shoot awesome and expensive ones you don't like. Noise is a HUGE factor. There will be lightning fast bows that for some reason are just noisier. That is a big deal when bowhunting--the deer is always faster than the arrow--they WILL squat at the sound of the bowstring.

Also, shooting broadheads is about 5x harder to do reliably than shooting field points, bc the broadhead steers the arrow and shows all the mistakes in your form. So generally, at first at least, better to err on the side of a slower bow with a longer brace height. You will watch arrows do all kinds of wierd shit when you stick a broadhead on them--but it's just that they are punishing imperfect form.

My biggest mistake (buy 4 times, cry 3 times) was not shooting enough bows, not spending enough money the first time, and not telling the a-hole attendants at various bow shops to suck it. Drop the real cash but shoot the hell out of a lot of different brands.

If something sounds quieter--don't listen to the bow salesmans' BS about string dampners, etc--IT IS quieter (again this is huge). If something feels more accurate, it IS more accurate (to you).

Anyway, good luck. It's an awesome sport and shit, it definitely changed my hunting and my life for the better.

Finally, go low draw weight rather than high, if there's a choice. A 50-60 lb bow shoots much faster at 60 lbs than a 60-70 lb bow shoots at 60 lbs.

I'm 5,9, bench 205-225 depending, and I don't shoot a 70 lb bow anymore--at odd angles they get tough to draw. If you're much stronger, then shit yeah, roll with the 70lb. But I found that when I'd been sitting for 4 hours, and had to draw halfway and then wait 30 seconds at half draw because the deer saw the movement and looked up...the 70 lb got hard to handle.

Also, you will always be crooking your torso around at wierd as shit angles to draw--and because you are so much closer with a bow, every single movement means a lot more. So I'd err on the side of lower draw weight.

Not to mention that 10-15fps just doesn't mean a f-ing thing at distance. Even with a fast bow, if you aim at the lungs of a walking deer 40 yards away, let the arrow go, the arrow will hit it in the hams or guts or maybe even miss behind it. Whether the arrow starts out at 300 or 260 fps is pretty much irrelevant. They are slow movers.

Alright good luck.

Final note: Manufacturer's specs mean absolutely nothing. Not just that IBO numbers are basically not useful (for IBO, they use retardedly light arrows which maximize the paper difference between bows--what most consider to be reliable hunting arrows arrows are much heavier and so the difference between the fast and super-fast bows are actually much less than they appear on paper).

It is really like buying a sports car. You read a bunch of magazines and are trying to decide between a Viper, 911, and a Ferrari. All look very similar on paper, but they are radically different to drive. You need to drive the shite out of them to see what YOU drive best. It might be the opposite of what you thought from doing your research.

You seem to be fixated on Mathews--(which is a great choice) but the best actual outcome would be if you could get rid of that fixation until you have shot the best that all of the three top brands have to offer.

Go in with an open mind and the right choice will be apparent.

Also, all else being roughly equal, I'd err on the side of buying the brand that the best local pro shop near you supports.

For the first 6-12 months, you are going to be pretty dependent on that bow shop. Stuff is going to be wrong with your bow, with your form, you'll have no idea which one--and if you spent your $1,000 at the local shop, they'll usually say "Sure, come into the back and shoot a few arrows, let's help you figure this out."

Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATX762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Final note: Manufacturer's specs mean absolutely nothing. Not just that IBO numbers are basically not useful (for IBO, they use retardedly light arrows which maximize the paper difference between bows--what most consider to be reliable hunting arrows arrows are much heavier and so the difference between the fast and super-fast bows are actually much less than they appear on paper).

It is really like buying a sports car. You read a bunch of magazines and are trying to decide between a Viper, 911, and a Ferrari. All look very similar on paper, but they are radically different to drive. You need to drive the shite out of them to see what YOU drive best. It might be the opposite of what you thought from doing your research.

You seem to be fixated on Mathews--(which is a great choice) but the best actual outcome would be if you could get rid of that fixation until you have shot the best that all of the three top brands have to offer.

Go in with an open mind and the right choice will be apparent.

Also, all else being roughly equal, I'd err on the side of buying the brand that the best local pro shop near you supports.

For the first 6-12 months, you are going to be pretty dependent on that bow shop. Stuff is going to be wrong with your bow, with your form, you'll have no idea which one--and if you spent your $1,000 at the local shop, they'll usually say "Sure, come into the back and shoot a few arrows, let's help you figure this out."

Hope that helps.

</div></div>

Great advice. Much appreciated. I will be spending a couple days at the local bowshop figuring out which one I like. Frankly, I should relish the fact that unlike a rifle, I can test drive all these bows before I drop some cash.

As a competiton bow shooter i'm somewhat bias towards matthews, that being said, I still shoot a conquest 3 from 2001 lols. The best advise would be to get with a well rounded shooter and learn from them. As far as draw length you will need a good bow shop to fit you and set-up the other things like arrow length and weight rest that fits you etc. As for draw weight, the beauty of the newer bow technology allows for high let-off % so 70lbs is probably overkill. I can draw 75+ but I only need 60lbs to make the allowable f/s in my competitions which is usually max of ~280 depending on the club or event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Shoot everything and don't pay attention to the brand or the price. </div></div>

I dont know if id go as far as to not pay attention to price.

$1200 for a bow, ANY bow is just stupid ridiculous.

Anything with binary cams. Take your pick, G5, Bowtech, Elite. I prefer the binary cam system for may reasons. Does Mathews make a good bow? Yes they do, but when they wanted a faster bow they went away from the single cam.

Matthews solo cam is still doing quite well. I chrono'd my Z7 29/70 with a 438 grain arrow and touch 283 fps... With that speed and arrow grain weight I figure 79 pounds of Kinetic energy... Enough for anything other then dangerous game. Plus, solo cam bows are so much more forgiving. But if your after speed.... A binary cam system is the way to go (or just shoot super lite arrows).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let the bow pick you. </div></div>

+1, I recommend looking on ebay whatever bow you get. I got a $700 PSE Firestorm X (PSE mad the bow madness the next year because it was easier on strings)for $250 shipped. Read a lot about proper archery form. Bow hunting is just so much more pure...

not wanting to start a debate, but i've had good luck with mathews. prolly most bow companies have comparable bows. it's what u like, & what's comfortable. if there set up correctly you'll prolly have no problems no matter what you buy.

At this point, technologically speaking, you can't go wrong. My brother-in-law has a $1200 Matthews. I have a $250 ebay special. Any guesses who/what shoots tighter groups (...not so humble brag)? I do highly recommend the BEST grip (thinner and more functional). I also choose to hunt from the ground rather than a tree stand about half the time. Feel free to PM for any questions, etc. Cheers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let the bow pick you. </div></div>

+2 Set your budget, find your draw length and weight. Then find a store that caries a bunch of different manufacturers and shoot everything in your price range. You will know the right one when you shoot it.

check out www.archerytalk.com, there is a lot of good information on that website. You can find good deals on whatever bow you decide you want in the classifieds section on this site.

Below is just a video of Tim Wells (great American bowhunter) that I would like to share. Get whichever bow you want, practice a lot + spend a lot of time hunting = kill a lot of animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l26XIkxzaE

Dont be afraid to try out other smaller brands like Darton, Martin, and such. Pretty much every modern compound these days are fantastic bows, it just depends on what bow fits the shooter the best. Like the others said, try several bows and find one you like. If youre strapped for cash and find one you like, ebay has GREAT deals on barely used bows.