• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Bow hunters: Fiber optic sight help needed.

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
Been bow hunting for a while now, mostly white tails and hogs. I tend to let things come in and walk away instead of pulling the ole release out and flinging an arrow. Something about being >30 yards is just cool to me, and my camera. But not no more!

I've got a Triax with QAD fiber optic 5 pin. I really like the 5 pin since it can accommodate 10 yard increments out to my max range of 60 yards. My problem is the exposed sight adjustments that have potential for unintentional adjustment when the bow is strapped to my pack hiking up to the high country for elk/mulies. I'd like something that "locks" and preferably durable in the event that mother nature throws me down the mountain in a yard sale fashion - it happens.

What are you using? What brands and models should I be looking at? Fewer moving parts the better.

I use a Trophy Ridge React Pro and a Spot Hogg.

Last edited:
Spot Hogg makes some very solid sights, I put a SUR-LOC seven pin with the retina lock on my last bow and really like it.
Both are overbuilt and don't fall into the light weight category if that's what your after.
The link is the one I went with and really have enjoyed using it so far.

I have the Axcel armor tech 7 pin. Love it. It is a little heavy but I am confident I can tumble down a hill and it'll still be ok. Its a tank. With the 7 I run 10 yds 20 to 50 then 5 yes 55 to 65.

I have a couple wrapped Spott Hoggs:

#1 all green pins
.019 25yd
.010 40yd
.010 55yd

#2 single .010 green 25yd

I have an Axcel Armourtech 5 pin on my Obsession and an HHA Optimizer King Pin on my Halon 32. I set the King Pin at 27 yards and I'm good from 0-30 yards. I like the sight picture better on a single pin. I've used them all at one time or another. King Pin is my favorite.

Spot Hog Fast Eddie XL single pin

I quit using multiple pins due to limited field of view. I stalk or spot and stalk all my game. Small vortex LED rangefinder combined with the quick adjustment range dial is perfect for my application. I don’t think the Spot Hogs are worth the money they are asking, but neither are the other top tier brands. Hope this helps.

Wrapped Spot hogg “Hoggit” for me, had them for years. If you get the model with the target bar you can just loosen the thumbscrew and slide it out store it in your pack and reinstall at your blind if need be. Amazing sight and amazing CS. Every thing is micro-a just, even the pins. .019 pins are the best all around size for hunting .10 get a bit hard to see in low light conditions. imho. Buy once cry once. Never need another one

Wrapped Spot hogg “Hoggit” for me, had them for years. If you get the model with the target bar you can just loosen the thumbscrew and slide it out store it in your pack and reinstall at your blind if need be. Amazing sight and amazing CS. Every thing is micro-a just, even the pins. .019 pins are the best all around size for hunting .10 get a bit hard to see in low light conditions. imho. Buy once cry once. Never need another one

I agree with you on the .010 pins. Bought both my spot Hogg's with .010 pins and had to sell them and go back to the .019.

I have an HHA Optimizer Lite. Single pin, only piece that readily moves is the elevation adjustment, which can be locked down and will indicate what distance it’s set for. Single pin takes some getting used to but is very versatile. Different from what you’re using, but it’s been reliable and repeatable for me. Worth taking a look at.

Reactions: badbehr
Good info fellas.

I had a bow shop setup my configuration just to be sure I didn’t mess up the alignment. How complicated will it be to replace the sight with something new? I’m mechanically inclined but I’m wondering if you guys would suggest I take it in rather than doing it myself. What say you?

Black Gold Flash point
Plenty bright without obscuring the target.
The light sensative housing over the fibers regulates their brightness well.

R

Good info fellas.

I had a bow shop setup my configuration just to be sure I didn’t mess up the alignment. How complicated will it be to replace the sight with something new? I’m mechanically inclined but I’m wondering if you guys would suggest I take it in rather than doing it myself. What say you?
Easy job.
Remove old intall new set for yardage zeros.

R

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Remember when sighting it in you move the sight pin to the point of impact. So if your hitting right, you move the sight right. Hitting low, move the sight lower.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Unless you are setting up 3rd axis, bolt it on and sight it in. 3rd axis requires a draw board of some sort. And like swage said follow the arrow.

HHA single pin sight. Typically while hunting it is set at around 30 yards. Know where to hold on a white tail out to 50 yards and as close as 5 yards.

To me the single pin is much less cluttered and easy to see everything elese.

Reactions: badbehr
Axcel armortech-HD is what I've always used and prefer. Rock solid, micro adjust, but pins lock down with an allen key after they are in the right place. Shameless plug, I've got an extra one for sale for cheap on here right now.

I prefer Spott Hogg for a fixed pin sight and lately I'm loving the Garmin Xero A1i. Freaking love that sight

I switched to a Spot Hog single pin with 2 .09 fibers recently. No hunting experience yet, but target shooting in varying light levels has me quite impressed so far. I really like the sight picture provided with the triple ring set up, and wish I would have switched to this sooner.

Spot Hogg Hoggit wrapped 5 pin has been on my setup for many years now. No need to change what’s been working great. My son has 4 pin G5 XR sight on his bow, 3 fixed pins and one floater pin, pretty solid sight that has served its purpose.

i've got the CBE Tek Hybrid Pro 1 Pin. IMO it's the best sight. it locks just like you're wanting and a single pin will always be better than a multi pin FOR ME. I don't think they make this sight anymore. I got mine back in 2016 but you might have luck on ebay or amazon.

spot hog also locks but they're heavy as shit in my opinion

I love my Spot Hogg sights. Bullet proof. I went a single pin setup that has a second pin right below it. Puts me at 20 yards and 38 when my sight is dialed for 20. Won’t Go back to having 5 pins.
52558CC6-E5F0-49A5-8101-8C457B879A21.jpeg

I love my Spot Hogg sights. Bullet proof. I went a single pin setup that has a second pin right below it. Puts me at 20 yards and 38 when my sight is dialed for 20. Won’t Go back to having 5 pins. View attachment 7171383

Nice. Guess it depends what your hunting and where. Tree stand and deer, I see eye to eye with your selection. Hunting elk in CO, I would never use anything but a 5 pin. Your shot can go from 5 yards to 65 yards in about 2 seconds. No time to mess with anything.

Hope you get some deer! Wish I was up in a stand!

Nice. Guess it depends what your hunting and where. Tree stand and deer, I see eye to eye with your selection. Hunting elk in CO, I would never use anything but a 5 pin. Your shot can go from 5 yards to 65 yards in about 2 seconds. No time to mess with anything.

Hope you get some deer! Wish I was up in a stand!
For sure it matters. I don’t touch it if the animal is 5-40 yards. After that I dial the sight. Took some getting used to. They make a great multi pin sight I used for a while called the Hogg it I believe. I definitely want to get back up in the stand! Been about 2 weeks and I’m having withdrawals

For sure it matters. I don’t touch it if the animal is 5-40 yards. After that I dial the sight. Took some getting used to. They make a great multi pin sight I used for a while called the Hogg it I believe. I definitely want to get back up in the stand! Been about 2 weeks and I’m having withdrawals

I hear ya! Its like a drug. Have to be in the woods!!

I’ve got this one on 3 bows. Really like it, obviously. Finger adjustable for windage and elevation. Windage adjustment is 1 click = 1/8” at 20 yards. Lock down screw for windage and elevation. Shoot the bow at 20 and 60, then choose the preprinted yardage tape for all distances in between. Stick it on the sight and go shooting.