• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Reflex Sight on a Compound Bow

Bones_Jones

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2022
Texas
I picked up a thermal reflex sight for around $2200 that I was planning on mounting to a shotgun or AR to hunt hogs however, once I received it I got a wild idea and ended up mounting it to my bow. I was skeptical that it would be possible to shoot with let alone get it sighted it in. I found that it was actually almost easier to shoot with than a pin sight because there is no need for a peep and wherever you place the crosshairs is where it will shoot once its all sighted in. It also has 4x zoom so you can still easily see your point of aim from 40+ yards away. The zeroing process was a lot quicker and simpler than I had expected, and it has the ability to set different zeros for 20, 30 , and 40 yards. There was still some clunkiness to the system though because the sight wasn't design for this. For example, I had to flip the sight upside down so the arrow would clear and still be able to get my zero on the screen. The combination of the unit and the mount is also fairly heavy, but it helped with balancing the bow some.

I took it out hunting for a few hours one night but was only able to stalk in to 70 yards on a couple hogs before the wind shifted on me. I wasn’t comfortable taking a shot that far with this new set up and in hindsight, sitting over a feeder is probably the better way to do it.

Just curious what you guys thought of this idea? I thought it was a little crazy going into it, but I’ll admit that it is quickly growing on me.

30D25ECA-562F-4BB2-B0E4-BF491A679A40.jpg
66F0FEC8-F2F7-4058-9DB0-0B106F26BA4D_1_201_a.jpg

Group @ 40 yards
2E051FB0-CECF-4466-81B2-AA2E3269FDBB-2.jpg
CE888BAB-ED77-4CC6-B7D3-F34F3BC76A07.jpg