• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Boy do I feel dumb

JayC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2011
Michigan
I have been a member of this site for quite some time now. I really don't post much as I don't have any experience in LR shooting, but wanted to get started. After reading tons of posts here and on other forums I decided to buy a heavy barreled AR, top it off with a decent scope to start shooting. After investing about 3 grand on my first set up I thought I was ready. Before hitting the range I decided to read up more on how to judge distance, read the wind, compensate for such thing as mirage and spin drift. Man this all seems so confusing. Then I find out my cheap bi pod is not adequate for pulling off the type of shooting I was looking for. Seems I should have instead spent more for the Atlas and my 14 power scope may not be high enough magnification. All this and I have still not fired a shot beyond 200 yards because, from what I've read, I feel my rig isn't adequate enough to take out to 600- 1000 yards. Cheek weld, super tuned handloads, high coefficient bullets, rear bags....how do you guys pull off these miraculous shots? And then this morning...the point I realize I am over thinking this way too much. I watch this 1 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

Basic training privates take rack M4s (14.5in barrels) out to 300m, with irons.

High power shooters take tuned AR15s out to 600yds with no support other then sling, also with irons.

Shoot, and upgrade when you can.

Take what you have and shoot the hell out of it. That gives you a base-line from which you can upgrade with better barrels and carefully crafted hand-loads later - if necessary.

600 yards is a piece of cake for any decent AR15, even with irons, dot sight, or a 4x scope. But you should not try it with 55 grain FMJ blaster ammo. Some ranges will not even allow that for a good reason. Use OTM ammo in the 62 to 77 grain range.

1000 yards OTOH is asking a lot (if not too much) from the 5.56 NATO. You need to push the heaviest bullets to the max with hand-loads to get there.

Last edited:
lol I know Jerry is a world class shooter...This was more meant for humor.
I just found this funny that after all the things to take into account to shoot 1000 yds that he pulls it off with a 9mm handgun...6.5 in bbl....no magnification....factory loads...off hand.

In all seriousness..I am just getting started in this...and you guys have all been great help in prepping me for the undertaking. Now I just need to find a range here in Mich that I can start shooting out past 200.

lol I know Jerry is a world class shooter...This was more meant for humor.
I just found this funny that after all the things to take into account to shoot 1000 yds that he pulls it off with a 9mm handgun...6.5 in bbl....no magnification....factory loads...off hand.

But even JM would not be able to pull that off with a AR pistol and 55 FMJs.

Subsonic handgun bullets are very accurate at long ranges if you compensate for the drop. We occasionally shoot our revolvers Elmer Keith style and it is always amazing how far out you can get hits.

OTOH, many rifle bullets become unstable when they drop below ~1200 fps. When that happens, you are SOL.

Where in MI are you? Fennville rod and gun club has 400 yds, south kent sportsman club has 500m, and cadilac sportsman club has 600. All are great places to shoot.

Where in MI are you? Fennville rod and gun club has 400 yds, south kent sportsman club has 500m, and cadilac sportsman club has 600. All are great places to shoot.

Unfortunately..I am on the other side of the state from these ranges. I live in Southern Lapeer County. The local ranges around here are 200yd max. I have some private land available where we have a makeshift range set up..but even that is only 280 yds.