• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bra brass trimmed too much.

Well I’ll be damned. More petulant children that don’t think you know what you’re talking about. Kick rocks Father Time. I gave you every opportunity to put up your numbers and make me wrong. You couldn’t so you didn’t.

Me: "Check to see if you already have a chamfer before re-chamfering. Why remove brass when you don't need to? "

Him: "Chamfer every single time, whether you need to or not. Chainsaw that extra brass off !!!"

Why are we still discussing this? Cuz he's a petualnt child who uses insults like "goes full retard" cuz winning the internet is necessary for his self esteem. I had an uncle and several friends who are learning disabled. Insults like his are the lowest form of humanity. Childish, gutter language no decent person should use. The fact he doesn't see this proves intelligent discussion is not possible with him.

To your question, I say anneal first. Then check for a chamfer to see if you actually NEED to chamfer. If you already got a chamfer, Don't "chop off" brass unnecessarily.

You should probably not be reloading. Speaking of children you type and you articulate your points quite like one. Dude nobody agrees with you. I would like to thank you though for a couple of things. First off thank you for the entertainment. Second off I would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to take my thread about brass that was cut too short by somebody else, and turn this into your own platform of father time’s reloading advice.

I don't re-chamfer when there is already an adequate chamfer. Case necks are short enuf without removing brass when ya don't need to. I the immediate instance, 6 Dasher. I also don't learn what works in relaoding by taking an opinion poll to see who agrees with it. I test it on the range.

But you do you, bro.

You sure seem pretty simple to me. It takes less time to hit it with the chamfer tool than to try to inspect it. It's not shortening brass life to do so, or to trim every firing. I would suggest you drop it, rather than continuing top go full retard on this.

Takes me less time to check for a chamfer than to re-chamfer when there's already a chamfer there.... But then I'm weird....I also don't re-seat a bullet in a case that already has a bullet seated in it.

:)

You would have to stop playing pocket pool for a minute to pick it up and chamfer it...

Those so experienced would know best. ;)

Other weird rules I have.... seat 1 primer per firing. Anneal once per firing. Charge a case once, and seat a bullet once per firing. And don't re-chamfer chamfered cases.

I'll be writing a book soon. I'll send you a free copy. :)

iu

This is you from chamfering your tip too much, isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas and GetReal
iu

This is you from chamfering your tip too much, isn't it?

Now that's prety funny... for 7th grade. But hey.... :) I developed a comfort level - and non-obsession - with my wee little pee pee a long time ago. Puberty was rough, but I'm thru it. Hope you survive it.

:)

Those so experienced would know best. ;)

Other weird rules I have.... seat 1 primer per firing. Anneal once per firing. Charge a case once, and seat a bullet once per firing. And don't re-chamfer chamfered cases.

I'll be writing a book soon. I'll send you a free copy. :)
So what brand of brass do you use and how many firings do you have on it?

So what brand of brass do you use and how many firings do you have on it?

In 6 Dasher, Peterson brass, 4th firing. The case neck is super short (my opinion) to begin with, while a number of other 6mm BR catridges are much longer.

This is why I'm not chamfering my necks when there is already a chamfer there. That's my call for me. Everyone else is free to do whatever they want.

I run mine through the Giraud after every firing. Sometimes case mouths also get dinged up. The Giraud shortens the case no more than the original trim length and cleans up the case mouth after being resized and a mandrel was ran through them to make sure they're all perfectly round again. I think I'm keeping the neck length and condition as close to identical as possible between firings that way. I would think it's more negligent to never trim as long as there is a visible chamfer. On a case that actually grows some after firings, the mouth can pinch at the end of the chamber and cause pressure spikes eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: L2bravo and kthomas
I’m also with you on data. Let us know what you find on that. I’m truly interested. See my post above.

I'm about to head out to a private range to meet up with another Hide member for the first time. At first, I wasn't going to take my 300 PRC because I'm going to be putting 50 rounds through my new 37XC, and I didn't think I needed another large'ish caliber to make my shoulder any more sore tomorrow.

But then, I decided that I'd load up 20 to help validate my new load, and I remembered this thread. So, I loaded 10 as per my normal process, then loaded 10 where I chamfered the inside of the case mouth. I measured/recorded the seating force of each set. Given, it's only 10 rounds of each, so the sample size is small, but I don't think I need to measure any more...

Results (seating force in lbs):

Non-Chamfered
Average: 38.3 lb
Standard Deviation: 1.64 lb

Chamfered
Average: 38.1 lb
Standard Deviation: 1.79 lb

They are essentially the same.

Now, there are some here saying they get better results chamfering. Are they using a mandrel? If not, I can see where that could make a difference. I use a mandrel for a number of reasons and have measured the positive effectiveness of such. Perhaps this is another reason to use one.

P.S. Lapua brass FTW. My results with the same process using ADG were nowhere close to this.