• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Bradford Florida shooters

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    Hey guys,
    For those of you that shoot at Bradfordl, specifically their new long range, a few questions...

Do you need to bring anything?
    What tpye of target stands do they have?
    Do they have plates?
    Any advice on targets?

Obviously at those distances you can't see your shots so what do most folks do out there to make things easier? Any input appreciated.

Re: Bradford Florida shooters

Where is Bradford and what is the distance. Always looking to shoot at different locations.

Found it panama city area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is Bradford and what is the distance. Always looking to shoot at different locations.

Found it panama city area.

</div></div>
    No. Bradford sporting Clays is near Starke in NE FL. About halfway between Gainesville and Jax. They have an 850 yd range.

They have target stands that you can slide pieces of cardboard in that they also have there. They do not have steel already setup, you need to bring your own. The benches on the 850 yard range are not covered yet so if its hot then you may want to bring a pop up canopy if you have one. If you check bsfshootingsports.com under 'events' you can make sure the big range will be open when you want to go. The coast guard has rented it alot during the next two months I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masterwrench</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have target stands that you can slide pieces of cardboard in that they also have there. They do not have steel already setup, you need to bring your own. The benches on the 850 yard range are not covered yet so if its hot then you may want to bring a pop up canopy if you have one. If you check bsfshootingsports.com under 'events' you can make sure the big range will be open when you want to go. The coast guard has rented it alot during the next two months I think. </div></div>Thanks. Good info. I may have to invest in some steel.

To use the new range you have to qualify before a range official. Once you are qualified, they you have to pay the general range fees, then another fee on top of that to use the 850 range even if you are a member. There is a one hour max time limit to using the range also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnit5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To use the new range you have to qualify before a range official. Once you are qualified, they you have to pay the general range fees, then another fee on top of that to use the 850 range even if you are a member. There is a one hour max time limit to using the range also. </div></div>

Huh? That seems a bit short. That's a mile walk round trip just to set up targets. That almost doesn't seem worth the drive out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USCG Flyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I recall, you can drive down the lane to service targets. </div></div>
    What...is there only a few lanes?

There 15 concrete benches and space between each to shoot prone. There is a road that goes down the middle all the way to the berm so you dont have to walk. The range fees for 850 range suck and regulars at the range have pointed this out to one of the owners. We were told it will be changed soon so dont give up on Bradford its a great place to shoot. I shoot there almost every Saturday.

Ditto to everything Masterwrench has said. Also, check out RUAshooter.com. This is the website for the rifle matches that are held at Bradford. There are some fun matches that are underutilized. Come out and have some fun.

Watch out for masterwrench. He is a sandbagger that has been winning a lot lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto to everything Masterwrench has said. Also, check out RUAshooter.com. This is the website for the rifle matches that are held at Bradford. There are some fun matches that are underutilized. Come out and have some fun.

Watch out for masterwrench. He is a sandbagger that has been winning a lot lately. </div></div>

I'll be coming out there regularly starting in Dec and get in on the matches. WIll likely do tyhe sniper match in Jan.

I agree, it's a great, low key place. Sadly, I've only shot out there for work...

I'm a member at Gateway, but some of those people will give you a heart attack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: masterwrench</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There 15 concrete benches and space between each to shoot prone. There is a road that goes down the middle all the way to the berm so you dont have to walk. The range fees for 850 range suck and regulars at the range have pointed this out to one of the owners. We were told it will be changed soon so dont give up on Bradford its a great place to shoot. I shoot there almost every Saturday. </div></div>

Did they install those recently? I know they had concrete benches out front on the 300 yard range. Last time I was there they had the road going down to the berm on the long range with a wood lean-to type thing to shoot from. I'm guessing they did some improving?

Did they install those recently? I know they had concrete benches out front on the 300 yard range. Last time I was there they had the road going down to the berm on the long range with a wood lean-to type thing to shoot from. I'm guessing they did some improving?

Yes they did some improving. They built a large elevated concrete slab with 15 nice concrete benches on it. Then they pushed the range out to 855 yards and widened the entire shooting lane to the berm. The previous wooden platform is for spectating now.

A few items everyone should know about the BSF 850 yard range. The reason they require that people qualify is because there is a hunting club on 3 sides of the range and the hunters have an access road about 50 yards to the rear of the 850 birm. It is also a tree farm and the owners don't want their trees shot up. Even though the birm is 45' tall X 150' wide there are still some shooters that come out there that just came seem to hit the birm, example I qualified one shooter that swore he had shot 1000 yards using a large magnum rifle, after noticing he never adjusted his scope after 2 rounds I inquired if he had any dope for his optic, his reply was "you cant adjust my scope" when I asked why, he said there were no adjustment knobs, to make this short he was trying "hold-over" and he thought that if he adjusted the turrets the reticle would fall out, with the round he was shooting we calculated that it needed 124" of elevation/hold over at that range. It just seems hard to fathom an accurate shot judging 10'4" or at least for me it would be. Myself and couple of other shooters had to give a short class on how to use and adjust the scope. This is just one of several incidents that I have wittnesed so yes they do have some rules but mostly for the safty aspect of others and property. We all know there are few shooters that really don't know jacksh%% about shooting a extended range safly but want to "RAMBO" at the range, those are the shooters they don't want on the long range until they can practice and work their way out to long range shooting with some sort of idea as to what is needed to safly/accuratly do so.
    As far as the range fees I agree that they are out of line and we have spoke with the owners about them and have come up with a new plan that should please everyone. These will be part of the new year membership.
    In regards to the 1 hour time limit, that is only if there are other shooters wanting to use the range and they want to shoot different positions than you are but if you can work out an safe arraingment amongst yourselfs you can shoot as long as you want.

Thank you for posting . When my shooting buddys and I first heard about the range going 850 we were so excited then when we called .
    We understand the safety qualifing deal but the FEES and TIME LIMITS killed it . Very interested to hear the new details , shooting 200 at osceola once a month while better than nothing is kinda getting old.

Myself and .257 are going to be at Bradford tomorrow morning shooting on the 850 yard range if anyone else is going or wants to go meet up.

I am still unsure of all the details reguarding the 850 yard range but I believe it is basically $20 for the first hour and then $10 per hour after that for non-members and then $10 per hour for members. that doesnt include set up and take down time, just pure shooting time which is nice.

really isnt that bad of a deal, heck the local range in St. Augustine ATTAC is $40 per day.

Sadly, it is not cheap to shoot anywhere anymore.

There are also NO Range officers there thus the reason for qualification.

While its not perfect to my knowledge its the only 850yard public range in North East Florida, i will gladly deal with the minor issues to get to shoot there

Hello Gentlemen, I live in Jax and am just about done with my rifle for now. I'de like to meet up with some shooters at BFS sometime that could possibly help teach me the basics of long range precision shooting. I have quite a bit of experience with AR's and pistols, but almost none with a scoped rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarkKnight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Gentlemen, I live in Jax and am just about done with my rifle for now. I'de like to meet up with some shooters at BFS sometime that could possibly help teach me the basics of long range precision shooting. I have quite a bit of experience with AR's and pistols, but almost none with a scoped rifle. </div></div>

Come on out Saturday around 8:30. There is an AR / Pistol Match. Shoot it with us. Some of us will stay after the match and shoot bolt actions on the 850 Shoot with us then if you can as well. PM me if you have questions

The new range fees are up and posted on the BSF web site. Below are the new fees for shooting on the 850 range as posted in an email from BSF also if you shoot at just the 850 you do NOT pay any additional fees but you still have to be a qualified shooter to use the long range. IF you are not qualified and plan on coming out on a weekend just email me and I will make arraingments to meet you there to get you qualified. My email is [email protected]
    Rates for shooting are as follows:
    Non-Member $20/2hr Member $10/2hr For your two hour block you will be given 30 minutes for set up and 30 minutes for take down.

You may extend your block if the next block is available, rates will be the same as above.

You must sign in on the 850 Yard Range sheet and sign out on the same form.

I was just on the Bradford website (bsfshootingsports.com) and did not find any changes. It still mentions the long distance range as 600 yards. Also, rua, you said "you do NOT pay any additional fees" if you shoot at just the 850 but list member and non-member fees, not sure what that means?

The qualification concept makes sense... is there a fee for that?

You also mention that someone can "extend your block" does that mean we need to reserve it? If the "block" is 2 hours and it's extended, then how much is that? The first block is 2 hours and costs either $20 or $10, does the next block of 2 hours cost the same?

Steven it costs $20 to qualify, it's a one time fee

Rick

Where there any discussions on having a yearly unlimited membership that gives one access to all ranges without any range fees?