• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bragging on my Girl.

TRPrecision

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2018
    GA
    For the past several months I have taken a family friends 14yo daughter under my wing and have been helping her learn / train for PRS. She shot one match end of last October with my gear and was instantly hooked. I was asked to build her a rifle on a VERY tight budget that her parents and grandparents were going to give her for Christmas. She has been shooting it for a couple months in an ongoing state of build, not knowing it was actually to be her rifle come Christmas.
    Started off with a $400 Varmint barrel 700ADL 6.5CM. Trued the action, reworked the barrel tenon on the OE barrel and replaced the recoil lug, set the barrel back 1 turn and recut the chamber with my match reamer. Got a cheap used Oryx chassis, and coated the plastics in her favorite blue, skim bedded the action in marine tex. Installed the Oryx ARCA rail and machined the front of the chassis to accept an MPA spigot. Was able to get a cheap Triggertech special on Black Friday. set to 1.5lb. Machined a bolt knob from some scrap 6061 bar stock. Burris XTRii 5-25 SCR mil bought close out at a deep discount mounted in a set of Vortex/Seekins "refurbished" rings. Silencerco ACR mount / brake so she can run one of my cans, only likes to shoot suppressed.
    Today was the 1st trip to the range with the fully completed rifle and she impressed me with her skill with such a low cost build. We were testing some new loads at 100y, doing some chrono testing and hit a great node despite being a touch on the slow side, 140's @2710. She managed a 5 shot group at .3 moa, followed up with 5 more to the same spot opening the group up to just a touch over .4 moa. So a 14yo girl with only 6 months of shooting experience managed a 10 shot .4 moa group with a slightly reworked OE Remington barrel. I don't think I have ever seen a factory Remmy barrel shoot this well and she was able to hold it there for a 10 shot string. I truly believe there are great things in her future! Unfortunately I did not get any target or rifle pics, phone battery died.

Last edited:
    That’s awesome! It’s always nice to see young people enjoying the sport. 👍

For the past several months I have taken a family friends 14yo daughter under my wing and have been helping her learn / train for PRS. She shot one match end of last October with my gear and was instantly hooked. I was asked to build her a rifle on a VERY tight budget that her parents and grandparents were going to give her for Christmas. She has been shooting it for a couple months in an ongoing state of build, not knowing it was actually to be her rifle come Christmas.
    Started off with a $400 Varmint barrel 700ADL 6.5CM. Trued the action, reworked the barrel tenon on the OE barrel to take a .300" recoil lug, set the barrel back 1 turn and recut the chamber with my match reamer. Got a cheap used Oryx chassis, and coated the plastics in her favorite blue, skim bedded the action in marine tex. Installed the Oryx ARCA rail and machined the front of the chassis to accept an MPA spigot. Was able to get a cheap Triggertech special on Black Friday. set to 1.5lb. Machined a bolt knob from some scrap 6061 bar stock. Burris XTRii 5-25 SCR mil bought close out at a deep discount mounted in a set of Vortex/Seekins "refurbished" rings. Silencerco ACR mount / brake so she can run one of my cans, only likes to shoot suppressed.
    Today was the 1st trip to the range with the fully completed rifle and she impressed me with her skill with such a low cost build. We were testing some new loads at 100y, doing some chrono testing and hit a great node despite being a touch on the slow side, 140's @2710. She managed a 5 shot group at .3 moa, followed up with 5 more to the same spot opening the group up to just a touch over .4 moa. So a 14yo girl with only 6 months of shooting experience managed a 10 shot .4 moa group with a slightly reworked OE Remington barrel. I don't think I have ever seen a factory Remmy barrel shoot this well and she was able to hold it there for a 10 shot string. I truly believe there are great things in her future! Unfortunately I did not get any target or rifle pics, phone was dead.
    OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!

I shot against a 14 YO @ 600 a couple years back. .223 F-T/R and me a 22N in F-open.
    Then @ 15, same thing, then @16, same thing. I was always behind. Really good shooter, BUT, Daddy set up the rifle, loads the ammo, coaches (a little) but other than shooting doesn't seem to know much about the rifle.
    Involve them in the WHOLE trip.

I shot against a 14 YO @ 600 a couple years back. .223 F-T/R and me a 22N in F-open.
    Then @ 15, same thing, then @16, same thing. I was always behind. Really good shooter, BUT, Daddy set up the rifle, loads the ammo, coaches (a little) but other than shooting doesn't seem to know much about the rifle.
    Going to start teaching her how to load, and plan on having her fully process her own loads under my supervision. I set her phone up with Strelok and taught her how to use it. Fully expect her to be self sufficient in very short order.

just think how good should would have shot it you gave her a tikka😛. Great job
    Tikka was outside the budget. Since all my labor was at no cost, we were able to polish a turd, err I mean Remington for very little cost. I think we kind of won the barrel lottery on this one. I fully expected needing to replace the barrel going in. Saving $300 not buying a barrel blank freed up a bit more cash for a good trigger and better optic than we had planned originally.
    She already embarrasses me any time she shoots one of my personal rifles. Wish I had 14yo eyes and steady young hands LOL.

Last edited:
    Ya, I used to feel the same way. Now, I'm just glad someone is willing to do whatever it takes to get the youngster's to the range.
    JM.02

In my mind women have a significant advantage because they are smart enough to be coachable, and seldom have preconceived notions or pride to overcome. Cudos to you for spending your time mentoring. Also, pics (of rifle) or it doesn’t count.

Last edited:
    Excellent! That's parenting, grandparenting, and friendship done right!

In my mind women have a significant advantage because they are smart enough to be coachable, and seldom have preconceived notions or pride to overcome. Cudos to you for spending your time mentoring. Also, pics (of rifle) or it doesn’t count.
    I keep forgetting to shoot some pics of the rifle when it is in my possession. I'll try and get a few pics next time we are at the range. And I agree, all the ladies I have taught to shoot have been much better students than the boys. None of them have taken to it this well however, I think this girl has some natural god given talent.

Reactions: 1J04
    The 1 pic I took before my phone battery died, just ran the calculator on it. I was pretty close with my original caliper measurement when my phone died. I am going to have Abbie send me a couple pics of her rifle to post as well.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
      Image-1.jpg
      443.6 KB · Views: 63
    While I still had it, wearing a cheap loaner optic, hanging around with a few friends.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
      IMG_0181.jpg
      637.5 KB · Views: 97
    Reactions: HenryTheAce
    Just the fact that you're teaching/coaching a youngster and introducing the shooting sports to them is commendable.

The fact that she's excelling at it, and wanting MORE is HUGE. You've done/are doing a great service to the sport and her. Thank You for that.

That's really cool, and the gun looks great. She obviously can shoot it very well. I absolutely can not wait for my boys to get big enough to shoot. I've already made a mini stock for my old red Ryder. My boy is 4yrs old and his arms tire quickly holding it up, but he's doing well. The 2nd boy will be here in about 2 weeks (we hope, he's giving mommy hell right now so he may come early).

If we all did what you did, we wouldn't be constantly worrying about our rights getting taken away.

Back out at the range with Abbie last Saturday testing out her new @Defiance Machine Badrock rifle. She has finally found her speed and runs this new rifle like a pro. Was able to go 10 for 10 at 500y from 7 different positions on our clubs practice course with 15 seconds left on the clock. I think she is ready to go. Hope she can stay cool on the clock when it counts!
    IMG_0227 (1).jpg
    IMG_0228 (1).jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg

Last edited:
    I am a RSO on a 1000 yard range. I see very few youngsters during the year.

Way to go TRP!! This is the only way to insure the future of our culture!!!

Last edited:
    I hope she is able to talk some friends into trying it out as well. A few new PRS would certainly be a good thing. Too bad that the cost to play has be such a deterrent to most young people. I wish there were a cheaper way to enter the sport. The current status of the industry and non availability off all things shooting related is making it extra tough.

So what happened to the .3 moa remmy?
    Using it for practice and back up for matches. She kinda got a "deal" on the Badrock;). The Remington was very accurate, but did not run near as smooth as this Badrock does, It feels like it runs on bearings.

What a great story. My 15 y/o daughter is much the same and shoots very very well. She also loads her ammo.

She shoots better than her 17 y/o brother and it chaps his ass.

She shoots a crap ton of air rifle with me. My son doesn’t. You do the math😎.

Love to hear about folks mentoring youngsters in the shooting disciplines.

I have to tell ya, in all my years of teaching and mentoring, the best natural shooters have ALWAYS been girls or women. My wife can outshoot me with a handgun and she could probably do the same with a rifle if she shot more often.