• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brainstorming a GF gun, on the cheap-ish

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
My girlfriend has mentioned wanting to complement her 22 with a centerfire. In addition, I just got back from a PR1 course and my buddy wants to go to it next year. So I am thinking of building her a rifle and shipping her off to the PR1 with him (or just retaking it myself and shooting with them both).

Anyways, my primary goals with this rifle would be cheap and easy shooting. I have access to just shy of 600 yards on my land, and I don't imagine her ever taking it too much over that. I would pretty much be happy if the rifle was holding 3 MOA or so at 400 yards... until she gets bitten by the serious LR bug, I don't want to set the goals of the project too high or expensive.

At 98 pounds she hates recoil, so I am thinking of finding a 223, 222, or other light caliber. Part of me would like to set up a 22 hornet since I always wanted one and paper/steel doesn't care how light its getting hit. =P

I am currently trying to brainstorm a decent starting route. Wondering if I should just try to find one of those $350 dollar dicks Rem 700 ADLs or is something like a savage axis a decent starting point?

Hell, even a Boyd's stock if you're wanting it to stay "cheap." Good enough, and very pretty.

The Savage would probably be most flexible, since if she does get bitten by the bug you can always upgrade the barrel or caliber yourself. Also more aftermarket support than something like the mossberg. Remington is a stable choice but not always the cheapest route, especially regarding barrel changes. Toss on a swfa 10x and be done with it for under a grand total.

Savage sells a 24' .223 that is threaded and includes a brake, once scoped and on a bipod, almost no real recoil. Ammo in .223 is cheap, she'll see that better ammo groups better. Doesn't sound like you want to buy cartridges at 20 rounds to a box or handload her ammunition. (tough to find time for your own). I have a 24" Savage w/AccuTrigger and it groups 1" or better at 100yds with decent ammunition. I prefer 22/250 or .220 - better for prairie dogs as it's flatter shooting but more expensive to shoot. If you unthread the brake and put a suppressor on it, it's even more enjoyable to shoot.

my vote is for a Tikka T3 compact in 223. this rifle should be a good fit for her, and accurate.

Oh, id also add, as these folks have, that 223 probably makes the most sense. Common, not too expensive, cheap to reload (should that come to pass).

Remington SPS Tac in .223. Drop it in a more ergonomic stock and it will do everything that you are asking for.

I know this is in the bolt gun section, but get an ar, drop in a heavy buffer ant there won't be any noticeable recoil.

An idea I've had for a while but don't have the discretionary budget for at the moment... CZ 527 in 7.62x39. And rebarrel to 6PPC or 6.5 grendel. I'm pretty sure HS precision makes a decent stock.

Or just a .223 of some sort in factory varmint fashion. Would probably be cheaper.

Is she really worth it? If so, tikka t3 in 223 cal. Buy one, shoot and never look back. If you are not that sure yet, savage 223 cal is prob a better choice as it is much cheaper and more upgrade options in the future to make her happy when you know she is the one.

Wow it kind of seems like 223 has the unanimous vote here haha. I think 223 definitely hits the "cheap" mark shooting that caliber, but honestly I would do a 243 win. It is great for any medium game and has a very tamable recoil, especially if you put a break on there. Not to mention it will hit the 600 mark better than the 223.

I just say this because I got a R700 ADL in 243 with the heavy barrel for the GF. I dropped it in a B&C A2 with some PTG bottom metal. Topped it off with a Vortex PA scope and she has herself a darn nice, just over $1,000 setup that is capable of sub MOA accuracy.

I toyed with the 243 (or any 6mm) idea for some time, since that is I what I shoot and so does my buddy. I already hand load for his rifle and mine.

I was pretty settled on 223 for awhile, I think that it would be the best option for her. I really like the mossberg MVP a lot, but I doubt it will ever be as nice as the savage line. Speaking of which, the axis, 11 hog hunter, 112... etc. Do they all have different inletting or is it like the rem 700 line where they just swap out the barrels and stocks and call it something else? A 223 would be a lot more flexible than the other options that I am thinking, so I am pretty sure that is the way I will go.

Semi's are a no-go here in NY.

Her glass will most likely be a swfa 10x off of my rifle, as I plan on upgrading this year. And whatever she shoots, it will all be handloads. I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought factory. =P

Lastly, I always wanted a single shot 22 hornet, so a savage model 40 for me is still on the table and just let her shoot it whenever she wants. I always rationalized it away, but if the right one comes along she might enjoy it.

I would personally avoid the Axis - it is totally different than the 10/11/12 line and has little aftermarket support.

Good to know, thank you.

All of my experience is the win/FN line, so the savage lineup is a little voodoo to me.