• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Brake install by machinist?

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
I am trying to get a brake on my Savage 12 LRP and had planned to send it to Chad Dixon but I am worried about shipping. I have a friend who is a well qualified machinist but has never done smith work. He has offered to take a look to see if he can do the threading and install. Any reason not to try and go this route?

Ignorantly,
Matt

Technically if he has a 4jaw chuck, a spider on the outboard side, and a long reach 0.0001 or 0.0005" indicator he could do it the right way.

Id personally be more worried about giving it to someone who has never done this work before than shipping it out of state to someone reputable.

why are you worried about shipping? If you package your rifle well and insure it that should give you some piece of mind. If Chad is only installing a brake then just send the barreled action. Less to package and cheaper to ship

If you don't want to ship it, find a local gunsmith to do it. It's always nice to have a local guy to go to. If things go sour, you won't have to drive half way across the country to get it taken care of.

I am trying to get a brake on my Savage 12 LRP and had planned to send it to Chad Dixon but I am worried about shipping. I have a friend who is a well qualified machinist but has never done smith work. He has offered to take a look to see if he can do the threading and install. Any reason not to try and go this route?

Ignorantly,
Matt

Matt, it aint that tough, let him have a go at it.

I let a guy that owns a machine shop put on a brake that had to be timed to allow port to face up. He did an outstanding job. That is what they do for a living.

Ignorantly,
Matt

Where are you in so cal?
i can do it the right way.

Any good machinist/toolmaker is capable of the job. The question is whether/not it's worth his time to properly configure his lathe to do it properly.

It is pretty self explanatory how it has to happen, but here are the key points to relay to him...so that he can decide if he wants to (or can) tackle the job:

1. The last 1" of the groove diameter of the barrel needs to be running true to better than .0002"
2. The barrel needs to be supported at both ends
3. Threads really should be cut to ANSI standards. Let him know he should achieve at least a class 2A thread, with a class 3A being better.