• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

brake wont fit Help

Seandradamus

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
Illinois
I went to go install my schuler brake yesterday and it would only screw on 1 revolution and then it was too tight.
So , I thought ( maybe different threads)
I grabed my gap 308 took the thread protector off and compared the threads , looks the same , heres where it gets weird,
The gap thread protector screws onto the other rifle perfectly. The brake also works perfectly on the gap rifle. I would love to here an explanation of how this is possible.

There is a 0.001 to 0.002 error in the threads that were cut. Not visible to the eye, but plainly obvious to the part getting threaded on.

My guess is you take a dial caliper to the threads and take a few measurements the error will become obvious.

Look at the threads insie of the brake to see if there is any dried thread locker on the threads. I had the same thing happen to me with a DTA brake it was very hard to see at first had toclean up threads with wire brush.

Look at the threads insie of the brake to see if there is any dried thread locker on the threads. I had the same thing happen to me with a DTA brake it was very hard to see at first had toclean up threads with wire brush.

There was an aac adapter on the rifle previously and some locktite. I scrubbed it all off. It feels like it is binding On metal though, it is just strange that the other thread protector from the other rifle threads on nicely.

Jesus..... Stupid replies.....

Go buy a tap that has the correct threads. Run the tap into the brake. Problem solved.

I had to do the same thing with mine.....

Posted Via Glade Plug In.

I understand your fix ,it's amazingly insightful I was wondering how it could be that the muzzle brake threads on a different rifle and the thread protector from that rifle also fits on the rifle in question.

Improper thread depth or width will also cause fitting issues. I agree in re-tapping with the proper thread tap/die.