• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand new barrel? NO...

Sako man

profesional dilettante
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2012
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Alpha Xray Plural.
    This is from images of what is supposedly a brand new barrel that I purchased, seller stated there was never a round shot through it. I couldn't even identify rifling in the barrel when I bore scoped it and took these images. How many rounds would you guess has passed through this thing?

To be clear, not pointing fingers, I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.39.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.00.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.01.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 1.00.47 AM.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude
    Images aren’t great. But not many rounds on the barrel. I don’t see any cracking at all if that last picture is the throat.

Was it some sort of factory take off barrel that may have been function/precision tested?

Images aren’t great. But not many rounds on the barrel. I don’t see any cracking at all if that last picture is the throat.

Was it some sort of factory take off barrel that may have been function/precision tested?
    Its of a AI barrel that was sold to me as new. That last picture is the crown. Barrel is not shooting well however. I can't even see discernable lands and groves as everything is flattened. Looks new to you?

Last edited:
    Its of a AI barrel that was sold to me as new. That last picture is the crown. Barrel is not shooting well however. I can't even see discernable lands and groves as everything is flattened. Looks new to you?

Here is what it will look like if it’s been shot a decent amount.

Rifling will only really erode a bit behind the throat. The rest of the barrel rifling will be intact except for some fire cracking you’ll see.

I’d have to see better pics or in person to give a real opinion. But there’s just a bit of coppering in those pics and I see very little carbon. So, I’d say it hasn’t been fired much from the provided pics. Looks more like test rounds to me.

I’m just speculating, but if someone wanted to fool someone, they could have just scrubbed that barrel and no one would over know. It’s likely the test rounds from builder and the first owner never shot it himself. Again, just speculation.

The fire cracking pics below are some I had saved. I couldn’t find one showing carbon, so I pulled one off Google.

Attachments

• 79BDE2D0-BB8A-4FBD-8C52-AB4DC2FC81A9.jpeg
      79BDE2D0-BB8A-4FBD-8C52-AB4DC2FC81A9.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 203
    • 6141BBB4-171B-4879-9DE6-C7A7ABC0EC7D.jpeg
      6141BBB4-171B-4879-9DE6-C7A7ABC0EC7D.jpeg
      990.7 KB · Views: 199
    • B011ED6C-0142-49A6-BBB3-CBF310DE5BEB.jpeg
      B011ED6C-0142-49A6-BBB3-CBF310DE5BEB.jpeg
      75.2 KB · Views: 199
    Fwiw, the pics aren’t the best, but I can see the rifling in your pics.

I’m guessing either the scope isn’t focused or it’s a Lyman or similar scope.

A teslong or Hawkeye that are focused properly will give pics like this:

And even then, with a bad angle, the rifling can look “flat.”

Attachments

• 29617FC1-8032-4565-BD97-05988645970E.jpeg
      29617FC1-8032-4565-BD97-05988645970E.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 167
    Reactions: camocorvette
    @Feniks Technologies has already given complete and correct answers but I think your borescope isn't quite focused or something of that nature. I've looked at my barrels several times after having just 10 rounds fired through them and I absolutely always see carbon, your barrel shows none. Cracking in the throat starts pretty early on also, and I don't see anything on yours. I can see the lands and grooves its just out of focus or something.

How much have you shot it?

Reactions: Sako man
    It looks to only be test fired to me, you can still see (what I think is) reamer marks in the throat (perpendicular to the lands) in your second picture.

Reactions: KZP
    I think the above are all correct. Fire cracking is a good sign of barrel use. I have a 284 Brux that looks similar to yours. Only there’s slight fire cracking in it. That barrel has about 300 rounds on it

I’ll note there’s a big difference in the depth of the rifling in my Bartlein barrels including my AI barrels vs say my R700 or Savage barrels.

Why it’s not shooting well I don’t know. Looking back on your post if this is the 6.5 barrel you bought from shootmoe it sure appears new in the pics. Pending that’s the barrel you received

That is a lot of copper in the first pic . Sure looks smooth/flat , copper is everywhere . It may be a new test fired barrel but sure looks funky in that first pic .

The amount of copper in the pics doesn’t seem out of the norm for 1-3 rounds on a new throat especially one that has tool marks like your shows. It should be drastically reduced once the throat is shot in some. How many rounds do you have on it and have you tried sev different loads to make sure the ammo isn’t the source of poor accuracy?

The amount of copper in the pics doesn’t seem out of the norm for 1-3 rounds on a new throat especially one that has tool marks like your shows. It should be drastically reduced once the throat is shot in some. How many rounds do you have on it and have you tried sev different loads to make sure the ammo isn’t the source of poor accuracy?
    I put just a few rounds through it, maybe 8-10. Is all I had left. Hornady 140 factory. Shot a few groups and it looked not so good. The scope is in focus and when I scope my other barrels I can see the lands clearly. However everyone is correct I do not see any fire cracking, it's very strange. There is a lot of either scratches from being fired or tooling marks.

Keep in mind different barrel makers leave different final finish in their bores. Some are very smooth and polished and some have a less polished finish but in my experience neither are wrong.

2nd picture shows it's new IMO. Those streaks going perpendicular from the reamer will vanish if it's been shot many times.

For reference it's a Win tactical from mile high. So it's probably a Proof barrel finished by Win Tactical, I didn't ask exactly but assuming Proof. Perhaps this is how either proof or Win tactical does it. In scoping it over several times it's pretty coopered up in places.

Happy independence day!

Looks like a new test fired barrel to me with pics taken with a crappy bore scope. No way in hell someone shot enough rounds to wear out the rifling, that would take like 50K rounds. The throat area also looks very fresh.

As far as accuracy, I’d try different ammo, Hornady match isn’t exactly the best.

If it was off a complete new AI rifle, I believe they are all test fired at te factory. The 6.5 Crred barrel on my AT-Xwas when it was new.

From my AI AX ELR manual, I'm not sure if it's the same on the sub calibers🤣. I cleaned it after 75 rounds(approx 2.5 lbs of powder)

Barrel Break In Procedure.png

• Wow
    Reactions: 338dude and VSP968
    This is from images of what is supposedly a brand new barrel that I purchased, seller stated there was never a round shot through it. I couldn't even identify rifling in the barrel when I bore scoped it and took these images. How many rounds would you guess has passed through this thing?

To be clear, not pointing fingers, I'm just trying to figure out what the deal is.

View attachment 7904757

View attachment 7904747

View attachment 7904748

View attachment 7904749
    Of course it’s a wild ass guess but with a new barrel being slightly rough at first I would say 10 rounds or less judging by the copper? But it has definitely been fired no doubt about that.

From my AI AX ELR manual, I'm not sure if it's the same on the sub calibers🤣. I cleaned it after 75 rounds(approx 2.5 lbs of powder)

View attachment 7906768
    Didn’t know about the proof loads something I’ve heard very little of in the US. On my two semi custom rifles I’ve had them rebarreled three times each they were always fired to test for function but not hot or proof loads.

Last edited:
    I put just a few rounds through it, maybe 8-10. Is all I had left. Hornady 140 factory. Shot a few groups and it looked not so good. The scope is in focus and when I scope my other barrels I can see the lands clearly. However everyone is correct I do not see any fire cracking, it's very strange. There is a lot of either scratches from being fired or tooling marks.
    Tooling

Run isso through it clean it up, doesn’t look like a good deal of carbon build up, take a look at it again after cleaning, the amount of copper doesn’t really look like much was run through it and if the barrel wasn’t lapped then that amount would be normal.

Last edited:
    Run isso through it clean it up, doesn’t look like a good deal of carbon build up, take a look at it again after cleaning, the amount of copper doesn’t really look like much was run through it and if the barrel wasn’t lapped then that amount wound be normal.
    I'm pretty surprised that for a premium grade barrel it is so marred with tooling marks. I have barrels that look like glass inside and shoot amazing. But as one poster said above that there are many levels of finish, and no one level of finish seems to be wrong. I really need to get out with it and shoot several types of ammo through it to see if it's really a dud. But that said, it looks pretty tooled up and didn't shoot good. One more try to give it a fair shake.