• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Brands of Dies

Jcreek201

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I'm fairly new to reloading and just bought my first press a few months ago. I got a Hornady progressive. I wanted to go pick up a few more sets of dies but I couldn't find Hornady dies in the calibers i needed anywhere. Are all brands of dies interchangeable with other manufactures presses or are some proprietary?

Re: Brands of Dies

The vast majority of dies for standard pistol and rifle calibers are going to be threaded 7/8"-14 and will work in your press. No need to match manufacturers. You may need to buy additional shellplates and Lock N Load bushings to place the dies in. Sounds like you should do some more reading. Along with the great info on this site, this guy has some pretty good videos to get you going:

http://ultimatereloader.com/

I hope you're not trying to reload everything on the LnL AP. I just got into reloading also. First press was a Co-Ax. LnL AP soon followed. While I love my Hornady with bullet feeder and case feeder, I'm starting to look at he Co-Ax a little differently... I'd recommend a good single stage before you go too nuts.

BTW, I love the LnL, but it only does so much. Dies are a matter of preference from what I read here. RCBS and Hornady have treated me well so far, but that's not to say Redding or Forter aren't on my short-list.

RCBS and lee are okay dies, hornady are nice but redding and forster are very nice. they are all priced accordingly.

Thanks for all the help. So far I've just loaded .243 and my girlfriends .380. Hoping to start in soon on my 9mm, .40, .223 and eventually .338 LM.

I like to keep things basic, so all my dies are 2-die F/L resizer sets. I buy what's on the shelf, and usually that's RCBS, most of the rest are Redding. My .260 set is Hornady New Dimension, a gift. I think all of mine work equally well.

I have used Dillon pistol dies (45ACP and 9mm Luger) with no issues.

My original and still only press is a Dillon RL550B.

Greg