• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BRASS CATCHER

Rude Robert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2011
CA
Home made nothing is glued yet until I take it out to test it. I can make remove a upright so that it has only 3 supports and it is strong enough and stable too. The cardboard roll is basically how you would be with a rifle. Fire the rifle and the brass will land on the table

Attachments

• 20240410_142607.jpg
    20240410_142607.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: A.sosa and FuhQ
I can say from experience that I see one big issue with the rifle inside of it... You're fixing to get the shit burned out of you from hot brass bouncing off and flying back at you and landing on you. If I could make a slight suggestion... Move the rifle just to the outside of it, put a floor with a lip (to catch and hold the brass) and put screen on the backside, too (leaving just the open side where the brass is exiting the guns) and it will be a full catch-all, and less likely to fling hot brass back at you.

Reactions: A.sosa and USK308
How does it mount on the rifle? Looking at it differently, it could double as a soccer goal for "little people". Seriously though ... my buddies at the range would laugh me into the porta-potty if I showed up with that thing ... but ... if you like it, that's all that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Lots of options out there depending on your price range. I don't own any but I have heard TBR is the best, though you pay for it and you'd look operator af. Either of these would be much more aesthetically pleasing and user friendly than the DIY version. Just my two cents however.

Brass Goat ($40)
Caldwell Pic Rail ($40)
- Their universal is $29
- Their AR-15 model is only $18
- The brass trap above is $59
TBR ($239)

Last edited:
I fiddled with different setups and finally bought a TBR.
Just looked ... holy crap ... for $239 I'll crawl around and pick it up myself. Seriously though, the Feyachi moves in and out, side-to-side, and works great ... for 1/10 the price.

Lots of options out there depending on your price range. I don't own any but I have heard TBR is the best, though you pay for it and you'd look operator af. Either of these would be much more aesthetically pleasing and user friendly than the DIY version. Just my two cents however.

Brass Goat ($40)
Caldwell Pic Rail ($40)
- Their universal is $29
- Their AR-15 model is only $18
- The brass trap above is $59
TBR ($239)
I use a BrassGoat and it works awesome. There’s only 2 problems…They don’t make one that fits the BRN-180 uppers (charging handle reciprocates), and they don’t make one for AK’s. But I hope they do soon. I do have a couple of universal Velcro strap catchers that might work for those. But I could see the benefit in a large bench top brass catcher like that Caldwell.

Reactions: softcock
For ARs I use the Tactical Brass Recovery (TBR) catcher and it's expensive but works great. For my bolt gun in matches I use the MPA brass catcher which also works very well, with my ARC Archimedes action, I just need to make sure to run the bolt firmly so the cases get thrown into the catcher and not bounce back into the action. Saves me a lot of time and lost cases when shooting matches, particularly field matches.

Last edited:

@godofthunder is here as a sponsor

Reactions: knuckleballz
Having tried a couple of different brass catchers, I think the TBR is the best by far. Mine has functioned flawlessly for years. The feature that allows you to swing it away is great for comps where you need to quickly show clear (or for clearing a malfunctions). The zipper on the bottom of the pouch allows you to empty it easily without dismounting the device, or if left open, drops your empties in a little pile next to the rifle.

Reactions: Jack_L
Brass goat is the best I’ve used. The 10 round one ks very compact. Can also remove the “mag” from the catcher and just use it as a deflector to push brass straight down

IF I'm lazy and don't want to step 3 feet tp pick up brass, an old dish towel draped over the ejection port works like a champ.

I run the brass catcher from 3bucc. I think it’s cheaper directly from them but also available from Brownells.
Aluminum mount fits on the flat top. Brass catcher slides in with a detent catch. easy to slip on & off quickly and doesn’t droop when full.
I think the mount only takes up two rails of real estate at the front.
Spring loaded bottom pops open for fast emptying. Heavy cloth bag, not nylon or mesh netting.
Never had a round bounce back in the action unless it was overflowing...

I bought this for shooting prone with a bolt gun others lined up near by. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $65 for it though. I did put shotgun shot in the base which is kind of necessary. As it turns out, to me it looks like its a pool skimmer net mounted to a base. Any of you that are more handy than me (which is just about anybody) could buy a pool net, cut the end off, and mount it and have pretty much the same thing
1712935568591.png

Reactions: Glowie
Tactical Brass Recovery

Having tried a couple of different brass catchers, I think the TBR is the best by far. Mine has functioned flawlessly for years. The feature that allows you to swing it away is great for comps where you need to quickly show clear (or for clearing a malfunctions). The zipper on the bottom of the pouch allows you to empty it easily without dismounting the device, or if left open, drops your empties in a little pile next to the rifle.

Which specific model do you use?

Thanks.

@godofthunder is here as a sponsor
I shot that brass catcher in a match, once. Never again. Caused malfunctions. I ended up with a TBR mid length. Worth the extra $200.

Reactions: powdahound76
Wow that's crazy 200? I made a little video 40 seconds for a friend. But I couldn't upload it here. It works for sure. With the akm47, the brass still bounces but not bad at all. I found all 30 today. They either landed either of 3 ways. About 5 feet straight ahead, on the table or right to the left of the table. It's crazy how much force the akm47 throws the brass.

This is for the bench only. It works great actually, my wife didn't have any issues with getting burned at all. It actually pretty big, 3 feet long 30 inches wide and tall. Cost $35

Soccer goal is pretty funny too. It works although it is funny looking for sure. I don't reload for the Akm yet, but for my Ar I sure do. If that can't keep my brass close by so i can collect it, I'll take ugly lol. I went on a prairie dog hunt last year and it was a blast, it was set up to take shots past 500 yard and beyond. The trailer that I was on, with my buddy was surrounded by a sea of dry grass or wheat. I had a bit of a issues looking for my brass for sure. I did have a brass catcher for sure and the bag was left unzipped so that brass wouldn't weight down the bag so much, as to cause shells to bind up in the bag throat which caused jamming issues. If I needed to do a quick follow up shot, it did just that. Most often just single shot would work as long as the bag didn't hold any cases. That was all bench work for sure, which is why I decided to try it, no matter how ugly it is and it is hehehhe. I want my brass!. I have another hunt here in June and I can't wait. I am hoping that i can somehow make something with the Akm that will be cheap and some how can attach to the scope mount on the Akm. I will probably need to buy a scope mount to really look at how it attaches, as I haven't see or know on anyone that has one yet. Heck, maybe I can use the scope mount somehow and melt some pvc pipe or into some kind of deflector of some kind to drop the cases straight down to the ground at least it would be at my feet's general location and easy to find? It is easier to find cases when they are basically all in the same general area. That way when I am standing up shooting it will all be in the general area, my feet. $200 for a brass catcher is a lot. Bobalos that brass catch, might be work too. How does it hook up to the Akm?

Soccer goal is pretty funny too. It works although it is funny looking for sure. I don't reload for the Akm yet, but for my Ar I sure do. If that can't keep my brass close by so i can collect it, I'll take ugly lol. I went on a prairie dog hunt last year and it was a blast, it was set up to take shots past 500 yard and beyond. The trailer that I was on, with my buddy was surrounded by a sea of dry grass or wheat. I had a bit of a issues looking for my brass for sure. I did have a brass catcher for sure and the bag was left unzipped so that brass wouldn't weight down the bag so much, as to cause shells to bind up in the bag throat which caused jamming issues. If I needed to do a quick follow up shot, it did just that. Most often just single shot would work as long as the bag didn't hold any cases. That was all bench work for sure, which is why I decided to try it, no matter how ugly it is and it is hehehhe. I want my brass!. I have another hunt here in June and I can't wait. I am hoping that i can somehow make something with the Akm that will be cheap and some how can attach to the scope mount on the Akm. I will probably need to buy a scope mount to really look at how it attaches, as I haven't see or know on anyone that has one yet. Heck, maybe I can use the scope mount somehow and melt some pvc pipe or into some kind of deflector of some kind to drop the cases straight down to the ground at least it would be at my feet's general location and easy to find? It is easier to find cases when they are basically all in the same general area. That way when I am standing up shooting it will all be in the general area, my feet. $200 for a brass catcher is a lot. Bobalos that brass catch, might be work too. How does it hook up to the Akm?
It's $240. $200 more than the $40 catcher

I bought this for shooting prone with a bolt gun others lined up near by. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay $65 for it though. I did put shotgun shot in the base which is kind of necessary. As it turns out, to me it looks like its a pool skimmer net mounted to a base. Any of you that are more handy than me (which is just about anybody) could buy a pool net, cut the end off, and mount it and have pretty much the same thing
View attachment 8394928

I used some pvc I had along with some rebar (for weight) and and old fishing /dip net I had laying around and made one like this. Set it up net to ejection port and catches brass perfectly

Reactions: Baron23
Do you have any pictures of what you made? $65 is not bad too for sure. I tried last night to look up for a brass catcher that looked like it, but I didn't find an actual location to buy it.

I see your attachment. That other one that Bobalos had a picture of looked like it may have hooked out to the rifle itself? I can see if you had a big enough fishing net that can curve up and over the akm while on the bench would work too for sure. I want to either get one that will hook onto the rifle so you can stand up and walk around if needed too. Mostly at the range that I go too, walking around isn't really possible but standing is. If I can just get something that will drop it around my feet area that will be better than throwing them 30 feet away, I think.