• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass coming apart

Btillr

Super Trooper
Minuteman
  • Mar 20, 2011
    Va
    Out shooting my Grendel today I had a few pieces of brass come apart! Theses were factory rounds of hornady 123g amax's. What do you think is the cause? I've never seen this before.

IMG_1366.jpg

Re: Brass coming apart

shit brass... if factory rounds did that I'd be pissed....

I'm having a 243 issue right now that might be Hornady brass related... gotta do some more testing to know for sure

What other loads have you shot through it?

Measure the OAL from base to datum line of a new and a fired case that didn't come apart.

I would have already called Hornady's customer service. And I wouldn't shoot any more of that ammo. Good luck...

I don't know about shit brass, without more data, but that looks like excessive headspace to me? BB

I've only shot the hornadys, out of the 120 total I've had about 8 com apart

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about shit brass, without more data, but that looks like excessive headspace to me? BB </div></div>

I agree

I assume you had a lot of trouble extracting the upper half? Okay, this is a new rifle, 120 pieces of brass and eight failures, right? You should have stopped and evaluated the situation with the first example. This is not a small detail, I also assume the rest of your fired cases, (or a good percentage) show incipient case head separation? Looks like you have something seriously wrong, I wouldn't shoot it. Take everything to your gunsmith and get a determination. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about shit brass, without more data, but that looks like excessive headspace to me? BB</div></div>

Exactly what I was trying to figure out. Trying to diagnose the problem instead of yelling "shit brass" and leaving it at that. Having used alot of Hornady brass I know it's not shit but he mnight have a dangerous problem and lucky only 8 pieces came apart.

Now measure the new and fired cases from the base to datum line on the case shoulders and see how much they are stretching.

I had no trouble removing the upper half, and only a small percentage shows trouble. I went ahead and ordered go and no-go gauges to check headspacing. I'm also going to call hornaday about the issue.

There you go. If it still closes on the NOGO gauge, you can add pieces of masking tape to the bottom to see just how much excess headspace you have, if any at all. Sucks you had to spend money on them though.

When I get home I'll pull all my brass together and inspect it better! What is the datum line? I know nothing about reloading . And as far as the price on the headspace gauges that is a small price to pay in sport shooting!

Also I ment .264lbc, not Grendel .

The datum line is the point on the shoulder between the body and shoulder junction and the neck and shoulder junction. It's the point reloaders measure to to figure how much they want to bump the shoulder back as you don't want to bump it too much as it stretches the brass and will give you headcase seperation.

Do you have a set of calipers?

I've got a digital caliper

Usually you need a spoecial tool but seeing as you are spending money on guages no need to spend anymore. In a pinch you can use a piece of pistol brass that will reach down to the mid shoulder area. Try a 9mm or .40. Measure the fired and new cases and compare them to the listed case dimensions.

I dont have any pistol brass, but If I measure the entire case that looks good im at 1.5355 and 1.5390 on a case that is fractured but not seperated

just pulled a bullet and measured unfired case and came up with 1.5130

Measuring overall length is ok as an indicator but to tell the real tale you have to measure where your go/no go guages will measure in the shoulder area.

You have any friends that handload?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Measuring overall length is ok as an indicator but to tell the real tale you have to measure where your go/no go guages will measure in the shoulder area.

You have any friends that handload?

</div></div>

No I don't. I'm in prince George, about an hr or so from norfolk

If you have a different case mouth or even a nut large enough to slip over the neck you may be able to use it to compare the shoulders on once fired and unfired cases.

Based on your photo of the separated brass and the rough case length measurements, it sure looks like an excessive headspace issue. Just based on your rough measurements and the assumption that the case lengths are somewhat consistent, it looks like you have in the neighborhood of .022-.026" of headspace. If this is the case (no pun), I'm surprised that they all didn't separate.

Your best bet is to get it checked by a gunsmith.

May sound silly but are you shooting the correct ammo for your gun? Does your gun have a custom chamber of wildcat variety?

did you build the rifle? who's barrel did you use if you built it, did the barrel come with the bolt? Ive shot over 1000 rounds of hornady ammo out of my grendel and never once had one come apart, Ive been shooting reloads using that brass now and some are on the 5th reload now, people have more problems with the primer pockets getting loose than having the case crack or come apart like that. I checked mine and the shoulder from a new case to a fired one is .005 on mine

I've had the same problem years ago, and it was only a matter of excessive headspace on well (ab)used military rifles_ accurately wrong resizing tasks can have the same effect, of course _ I managed to experiment both simultaneously,with interesting results...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May sound silly but are you shooting the correct ammo for your gun? Does your gun have a custom chamber of wildcat variety? </div></div>

Not silly, at all when he seems unsure of his chambering? BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Not silly, at all when he seems unsure of his chambering? BB </div></div>

Im not unsure of my chambering at all, simpley thinking 1 thing and typed another!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lethal93ta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you build the rifle? who's barrel did you use if you built it, did the barrel come with the bolt? </div></div>

Yes I built the rifle using a Black Hole Weaponry barrel, I had to buy the bolt seperate ( I used the company Black Hole reccomended).

Take the other brass 112 pieces you have and take a paper clip and straighten it out and put a small bend at the end. Run the clip down the interior of the brass slowly feeling for brass seperation in the end near the base. If there is any depression felt, I would look at two things. Check the primers, are they showing signs of overpressure? If so then you have a hot load, if not, then as mentioned above it is most likely a headspace issue. The later I have never looked into as I have not had that issue, but I have issue running 44 gr of Varget in my 308 and experienced a similar issue with LC brass, I lowered my charge to 41 gr and I still shoot 2750-2800 fps (from a chrony beta which may be off) but the brass doesnt show signs like yours above any more. Mine never came apart, but you could see the cracks and the unfortunate "leakage" from a cracked case. I only shot about 10 before I noticed.

I'd bet you have a serious/dangerous headspace problem and would not shoot the rifle until it is inspected and corrected. Unless you are a gunsmith, I'd recommend always buying an AR barrel that has the barrel extension installed and a properly headspaced bolt provided. If you do this yourself, then you definitely need some headspace gauges to check your work.