• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass for Load Workup?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I just got my 300WM rebarreled,(Krieger #17HV 1 in 10" 28") & am starting the recommended break in now. What should I use for the load workup when I'm done with that?
    New? Once fired? Does it really matter?

Re: Brass for Load Workup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New rifle, new brass.</div></div>

Agreed. Every chamber is different, I've dicked around trying to get once fired brass from one rifle to fit/fire/etc in another rifle. NEVER AGAIN!

If I had a 300 Win Mag I'd be looking at the 208 Amax or a similar weight in Bergers. Probably buy 200 pieces of Nosler Custom brass and it'd last me a lifetime with a 300 Win Mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New rifle, new brass. </div></div>

+1...

Thanks guys. You confirmed my gut feelings on the issue. I'm going to get loads for the 208 A-Max, 210 VLD, & maybe the 220 SMK with H-1000, & Retumbo. Hopefuly I can get the break in done tomorrow, so I can start the process next week.

Agreed with the new rifle new brass mantra. However, I believe that OP may be asking a more indepth question:

After you get the rifel broken in, I suggest that you read up on the Optimal Charge Weight method for dialing in a load. Yo much have already selected cases, primers, powder and bullets. THis method merely seeks to minimize the number of rounds necessary for fully dialing a load.

I have read up on the OCW tests. I was really asking if I should use new, once fired, twice fired, for the test. I was thinking that once fired might be best, but I don't have any with this chamber yet, & won't have enough to do the test with my break in brass.(which is old FC stuff I had left over from the 1st barrel break in) So I guess I have no choice but to run some new brass for the test anyway.

There is nothing wrong with good quality once fired brass. If the brass was previously shot in a chamber significantly larger than yours, use a small base die if the fit is too tight using your regular dies. After the brass is fire formed to your rifle, you can then go back to your regular dies. I like Redding dies the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read up on the OCW tests. I was really asking if I should use new, once fired, twice fired, for the test. I was thinking that once fired might be best, but I don't have any with this chamber yet, & won't have enough to do the test with my break in brass </div></div>

If you have read up on OCW, you will understand that it is a multi reload cycle test. So even if you start out with new brass, by the time you have found the point of pressure signs, dialed in the load, and fine tuned the bullet jump you will have used the brass (about 20 cases) at least 5 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New rifle, new brass. </div></div>
    +2 New rifle, new brass. Why take he chance on brass that ahs been fired previuosly especially if it's from a source that you can't positively varify how the brass was used, Going cheap can turn out expensive.

I use once fired brass from the rifle. I think this is what he is asking vs once fired from any source. I do all my load work ups with fire formed and then neck sized brass. I am sure there will be other opinions but this is what works best for me. As stated before it will have several firings on by the time I am done but I start with once fired from the rifle I am working up.