• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Integrity Question

OzzyO20

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2014
London, KY
OK, maybe too long before. I took my brass out of an ultrasonic cleaner and put it in the oven, but apparently not long enough. The next morning there was some varnish on some cases where little pools of water had been. I put everything in a tumbler for a few hours and it's now as clean looking as it's ever been. Anything to worry about molecularly?

Last edited:
Varnish? After you ultra-sonic, I assume you give your brass a fresh water rinse before drying. If so, I'm guessing you're just seeing hard-water deposits from your tap water - you probably still have the same residue after normal oven drying, just more evenly distributed across the cases.

Varnish? After you ultra-sonic, I assume you give your brass a fresh water rinse before drying. If so, I'm guessing you're just seeing hard-water deposits from your tap water - you probably still have the same residue after normal oven drying, just more evenly distributed across the cases.

Yea I did, and I used distilled water, but I didn’t dry them good enough and they sat in water overnight. Not a ton but small dabs here and there. They look fine to amazing now that they’re out of both.

Attachments

• 4AE8A51F-C23F-431C-8443-457C75257DAA.jpeg
    4AE8A51F-C23F-431C-8443-457C75257DAA.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: SageRatSafaris
Brass looks clean. Maybe too clean. On another fairly recent reloading thread, fellas were discussing how super clean brass can weld to clean jackets over time. New concept to me, but they discussed the need to not have bright shiny brass against bright shiny bullets if you're aiming for minimum SD, apparently that's a thing.

Reactions: OzzyO20
IIRC, the advice in the thread I linked was to mix the dry neck lube into the bin of bullets before seating (as opposed to attempting to apply it inside the necks).