• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Brass prep for 308AR

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I've got a JP LRP-07 on order, so I'm getting things set up for when it arrives. My question relates to the value of high end brass and case preparation for a semi-auto. I realize that Lapua brass is considered to be much more precise than Win or Rem and should last longer, but I'm wondering if that advantage is lost when the cases are being more violently extracted than in a bolt rifle. No doubt, there will also be attrition due to loss before max case life is reached. I also wonder about the importance of super critical bullet seating and runout when the cartridge is being fed from a magazine and slammed up the feed ramp.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Brass prep for 308AR

I don't run high dollar brass in a gas gun. Get yourself some Win.. load and shoot. Trigger time always beats loading time.

This makes lots of sense for gas guns, I think Winchester brass for now on out of my gasser. I'm a novice anyway and don't need expensive brass that may not show me a diff anyway, as far as accuracy. But shooting with Nosler or Hornady Match brass they usually haven't came out with any dents like Winchester does most of the time......

No fail,

Don't worry about dents in brass, they don't affect accuracy (haven't noticed any ill effects up to 300yards).

Winchester brass is the thinnest 308 brass, so dents will be much more common. However, winchester brass is cheap, has good primer pockets, and is fairly consistent (much more so than LC, Rem or Hornady brass).

Lastly, there are tons and tons of load data using winchester brass than any other brass out there (for 308).

Hope this helps.

The gas guns do beat up brass. I find that the extraction process buggers up the extraction rim, ejection often causes dents in the side and mouth of the case, and the worst part is the stretching of the case's overall length.

This stretching works the case head really hard, and also requires that I check the overall length and trim the length every time. Over time, the brass flowing toward the neck causes thickening of the case neck in addition to lengthening. So unless the case dies from excessive stretching, I have to turn the necks in addition to trimming them.

My bolt gun doesn't allow nearly as much case stretching.

I'm on the 5th reload using lapua for my AR 10T and I can tell you It's holding REALLY GOOD I've ran winchester brass and the first reload it destroys them , ,

The only one that holds like lapua is remington but not close.

Also by taking a nail polish stick and polish all the Sharp edges on your mags makes a BIG difference in brass and feeding.

I hop you don't have to wait to mush for your gun , this gas inaccurate rifles can do some little groupings that bolt rifles can dream about.

Once fired Lake city is cheap and tough stuff but you can't run as much powder compared to Winchester brass since the brass is so thick...