• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Brass Problem (LC)

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Yesterday at the range, I ran into problems with ammo I bought in LC brass. (.308, 175 SMK, LC brass). Upon feeding the round into the chamber, the bolt would become "stuck" and would be VERY difficult to close. Then I couldn't even pull the bolt back to remove the round.

I'd have to force the bolt handle down with a huge effort, fire the round, then put the bolt handle back up and beat it open with an open ended wrench using my staple-gun as a hammer! (<span style="font-style: italic">I neglected to put a real hammer in my range kit...silly me</span>) Then I had to insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle and smack it to remove the case.

Upon inspection, it looks like the extractor(?) is cutting into the case edges. This happened 4 times out of 30 rounds fired. I got tired of doing this so I only got 30 round through the gun...I didn't bring my match ammo.

IMG_0647.jpg

What might be going on here? I had issue with this same ammo last year from the same gun, but with a different barrel. <span style="font-style: italic">Though that problem was not like this, it was a problem with bolt-lift after firing</span>. Since that time, I rebarreled and had the bolt/chamber "blueprinted" cut/matched or whatever they call it. The smith trimmed the bolt face to mate better to my chamber, and I'm wondering if now it's not working with this LC brass? The match ammo I use is in Win brass and works great...no issues.

This ammo shoots very well, and I have several more boxes of it, but I don't want to do any damage to my bolt or chamber. Is this a real concern here?

IMG_0649.jpg

Long story short, if anyone has an idea of what is causing this, and if it could damage my rifle, please let me know. I probably won't shoot the rest of this because it's a royal pain in the ass when one gets stuck, and I already damaged my bolt handle beating it out of the rifle!
    mad.gif

Thanks.

Re: Brass Problem (LC)

I hate to say that I have had this same issue but it happens. Make sure you have your resizing process and resizing die set correctly. I neglected to full lenght resize (neck sized only) some brass a buddy gave me as once fired. He forgot to tell me they were range finds and from a day he was shooting with a few guys using Garands. Brass from gas guns (mostly the LC and other crimped primer cases you find on the range) need to be FL resized to even chamgber in bolt guns.

Looking back I had the same bolt issues (I used a 2x4 though) and ripped up brass from the extractor. I couldn't figure it out that day but I guess a few got mixed in with my other LC reloads somewhere along the line. Try pulling a bullet and powder from a few cases that the bolt will not close on. Rip the decapping stem out of your die and resizing one properly, reload, rechamber and then decide if you need to get into any smithing issues. Should only waste a few minutes of your time if I'm wrong.

As for the bolt handle, ship it out to AZ Precision or Kampfield and have them do you up a new bolt knob (should give you more leverage or something bigger to bang on if it happens again).

Good luck!

I don't reload. This is factory/manufactured ammo I purchased.

From the headstamps this ammunition was probably loaded using surplus 7.62mm NATO brass fired from a machinegun.

If you have a custom chamber and the brass was not re-sized using a small base die you are stuffing a fat cartridge into a skinny chamber, thus getting extremely difficult chambering and extracting.

Not knowing what kind of bolt you have I wouldn't be surprised if you don't break off a bolt handle (been there, done that, am currently wiating on another to be repaired).

10-4 on what Sinister said. I have tried reloading LC brass shot out of a machine gun and it would not fit into my match chamber. I even had a small base die to use but after getting a case stuck in the die and nearly ruining it getting the case out I no longer use any military brass other than 118 that I know where it came from.

Let me guess DPMS .308.The same thing happened to me.Tight head space coupled with with a carbine legnth gas system.If all is correct.Get an adjustable gas block,Ream chamber,Or use factory loaded ammo only.I rebarreled and went with a rifle length system @18in.All problems solved and it dont eat brass any longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Sg (ret)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me guess DPMS .308.The same thing happened to me.Tight head space coupled with with a carbine legnth gas system.If all is correct.Get an adjustable gas block,Ream chamber,Or use factory loaded ammo only.I rebarreled and went with a rifle length system @18in.All problems solved and it dont eat brass any longer. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about a gasgun.

OP: Bottom line is that either chamber or ammo is not SAAMI compliant. It seems likely some of those cartridges were not sized enough by the manufacturer/remanufacturer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Sg (ret)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me guess DPMS .308.The same thing happened to me.Tight head space coupled with with a carbine legnth gas system.If all is correct.Get an adjustable gas block,Ream chamber,Or use factory loaded ammo only.I rebarreled and went with a rifle length system @18in.All problems solved and it dont eat brass any longer. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about a gasgun.

OP: Bottom line is that either chamber or ammo is not SAAMI compliant. It seems likely some of those cartridges were not sized enough by the manufacturer/remanufacturer.</div></div> Oh my bad i saw where it said bolt handle.Long day just misread thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned this is a bolt-gun (Rem700) with a match chamber and barrel, using LC military brass that was purchased. Thanks for all the advice so far!

Who's ammo ? More than likley like the others said it was fired in a machine gun the first time and didn't get sized down enough to fit a match chamber .