• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass resizing

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
My rifle should be here really soon (in like a week) and I will be reloading for it, since I want to do it right id like to know if putting lube on the brass for resizing is a good idea, I read somewhere that it is important but I have no clue where to apply it and how much to apply. What type of brass lube do you guys recommend?
Thanks
-Felipe

Re: Brass resizing

Unless you want a stuck case in your dies on the 1st one - yes you will need to lube the cases. I think even if you use carbide rezing dies, you still have to lube the cases.

The "best" is subjective. It depends on how much time you want to spend and how many rounds you're reloading at a time. And I think it depends on the cases itself. I use the Lyman spray lube for my .223 cases and it seems to work ok. However, I use Imperial die wax for my .308 cases. I tried the spray stuff for the .308 and got a case stuck bad the very 1st time out. As far as how much to put on.... you want a thin coating. If you overdo it, you're likely to get dented cases.

I mix up my own spray lube using Lee lube and 97% Isopropyl alcohol. One 2oz tube of lube to a 16oz bottle isopropyl. Squirt the lube into the alcohol, shake it up really good, then strain into a squirt bottle.

I use redding sizing wax for rifle cases. You want to lube the neck and body of the case with an ample amount to do the job, but don't use too much. If you feel a ton of stickiness when raising the case into the die, don't force it in or you will end up with a stuck case. Back it out and apply some more lube.

One thing is fo-sho,, If you put too much lube on the neck of the case, it will dent it!

It would be good if you could find someone who reloads to show you a few things and help you get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mica inside the necks.</div></div>

I agree, I also use mica inside the necks. Works really well, and easy to use.

I use Imperial Die Sizing Wax too, nothing better on the market. It is now marketed by Redding.

You will figure out what routine works best for you. I complete all my brass prep in atches prior to loading it up.

Some things I do that you may find of value -

I decap in a separate step and uniform the primer pocket.

Then I wash the brass in hot soapy water shaking it around in the tub quite a bit. This gets rid of a lot of crud inside the case. A few hot water rinses and then into a 225 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

I then FL size using Imperial as the lube and wipe the case down with a paper towel. As to the neck, when I apply the Imperial I use my thumb and forefinger, and drag my thumb over the neck to catch just a very small amout of lube. This helps it go over the expander ball with minimal resistance. If you find it difficut to back the brass down over the expander use a bit more lube.

Neck sizing only with a Lee Collet Neck Die does not require lube at all. I still wash the brass when using this die.

When neck sizing only with a conventional compress/expand type die I use powdered graphite as the lube. I have a small container (shot glass) half full of #9 shotshell shot with the graphite mixed in. A few dunks into the lead shot is all it takes. Again, I still wash the brass first and sometimes even brush the inside of the neck. I wipe any excess off with a paper towel.

Trimming I do on my drill press with the Lee Case Length Gage, cuttter, and lock stud.

Then deburr inside and out.

Then prime.

Then charge and seat the bullet.

Then crip if needed.

What cartridge will you be loading?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trimming I do on my drill press with the Lee Case Length Gage, cuttter, and lock stud.
</div></div>

Can you expand on this set up for case trimming, please? Currently I'm trimming using a manual Lyman hand trimmer and I despise this part of the reloading process. I've often thought about rigging up some way to use my drill press - but I'm not sure how to get it set to hold the case in line with the drill head in the press. Got any pics?

I chuck up a Possum hollow brass trimmer in my drill press and go. Its fast, precise and cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chuck up a Possum hollow brass trimmer in my drill press and go. Its fast, precise and cheap. </div></div>

I just researched the PH setup. Looks promising for not spending the $400+ on a Giraud. How does it hold the cases steady to line up with the drill bit?

The real trick to trimming is to not do it, AND to not have to do it.

When I was a knuckle dragging reloader that smacked the shell holder into the bottom of a full length sizer die, I DESERVED to waste my time trimming brass.
One or two firings and sizings and the brass grew so long that the load book says it is time to trim.

Then I learned I could get better groups at the range if I partial neck sized with a full length die. That is by adjusting the die to be far away from the shell holder when the press ram is up.
Then I learned I could adjust a FL die to only push back the shoulder .001".

The Lee Collet neck dies were gathering dust on my shelf because they looked cheap next to my Redding dies.
Then I learned that the Lee Collet neck dies make better ammo than my Redding S dies, despite the cheap look.
With the Lee Collet neck dies, I could get 25 firings between trimming.

Then I learned that the max case length in the book is not as accurate as I could measure and calculate for a gun and some ammo. The chamber neck length, minus how far the case will be pushed by the firing pin, is the REAL max case length. How long the case can be then is partially a function of how far I pushed the shoulder back. If the FL die pushes the shoulder back, then the firing pin can push the case forward in the chamber that same amount. When the case goes forward, the case mouth might reach the end of the chamber neck and swage down into the bullet. That would cause a deformed and inaccurate bullet AND a big pressure spike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chuck up a Possum hollow brass trimmer in my drill press and go. Its fast, precise and cheap. </div></div>

I just researched the PH setup. Looks promising for not spending the $400+ on a Giraud. How does it hold the cases steady to line up with the drill bit? </div></div>

ReaperDriver,
This is my setup currently, with the added power adapter to chuck up in a drill, and a shell holder. They say out of stock but you can get individual pieces to make one on their site. Really don't see a better way for the $. I think Snatcher is running the same setup too. I rarely get more than a .001" variation in trimming. Eventually I'll add the micrometer.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38819/Product/Wilson_Sharkfin_Trimmer_Kit_w__Stand

I agree that imperial die wax is the best case lube out there.You don't need to lube if using carbide dies although they only come in pistol cals. RCBS makes a carbide neck expander button so you don't need to lube the inside of your case if you use one. You can use it in some other mfgs dies in place of their button. Not trimming your cases is fine for short range plinking but for precision long range shooting case prep is absolutely nescesssary.At 1000 yds junk ammo equals junk scores!

Here's a couple of pics. The first shows the Lee 3-Jaw Chuck in my drill press.

3JawChuckinpress.jpg

The second shows the Lee Lock Stud in a hand drill.

Firsttrim.jpg

The third shows the hand set up with the Lock Stud and Cutter.

casepreptools.jpg

I just bought this thing and will be trying it out soon.

ForsterPowerCaseTrimmerforDrillPres.jpg

The 3 Jaw Chuck (first pic) does a better job of centering the brass than the Lock Stud but in both methods (Chuck and stud) you spin the brass and keep the cutter stationary.

With the Forster, you spin the cutter and keep the cases stationary. I'm trying to figure out a way to use the Lee Cutter (without the ball handle) with the Forster tool. It will require putting a plug in the collet so the tip of the Lee Case Length Gage can bottom out on it. If I can do that I get the best of both worlds.

While I'm poosting pics, this is the cup of shot with powdered graphite lube I mentioned before. Also shown is the Lyman large deburring tool (easier on the hands) and an electric tooth brush (minus the brush). I run the vibrating flat on the shaft up and down a case to settle powder if needed when doing compressed loads.

GoodIdea1.jpg

This is how I set up my Lee Classic Turret press with a cut down funnel so I can use Lee Dipper Cups when charging cases.

FunnelforClassicPress.jpg

This is what you can do when everything comes together.

This is two shots (one shot each from two different guns). If you look closely you can see the differnt size holes, one is from my 25-06, the second is from a 243 winchester. This was at 150 yards. The bet was I could shoot two shots (one from each gun) and put two clean holes in the cap without one touching the other. It won me a bunch of beer that night.

Mooseheadsinglecap-1.jpg

Here's a game we play at the range on the 100 yard station. One shot in the ten ring and as many other shots you can put in the target without touching another bullet hole. The upper target was a winner. The lower target a loser because I had two holes touching. It shows how my Kimber Longmaster Classic 223 shoots with my handloads. The wind was blowing left to right.

223Kimber_VargetLoad.jpg

Casetrimmerbenchmountedverticallywi.jpg

I have done the Forster manually operated with vertical shaft and door knob crank handle.

RCBSTrimPro3-WayCutter22CaliberL-1.jpg

I have done the RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter 22 Caliber,Lee Shellholder 223, Lee Lock stud, vise-grips, Rockwell mill, and Kurt vise.
This system trims to length and chamfers inside and out in 5 or 10 seconds per round.

But the smart thing to do is arrange you affairs so that trimming is not needed.

Same game, different gun. This is from my 221 Fireball.

223_7shots.jpg

Another target. 10 shots.

10shotstwo.jpg

I should add all my guns are factory guns. The fun is getting them to shoot really well with handloads.

This is from my 45-70 Guide Gun.

5_Shot_Group_100_Yards.jpg

This one is from the 7mm Rem Mag at 200 yards.

Backdrop.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of the Possum Hollow set up with the drill accessory? Most of the reviews on Midway were very positive but those that were negative were very negative. How repeatable is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Imperial Die Sizing Wax too, nothing better on the market. It is now marketed by Redding.

You will figure out what routine works best for you. I complete all my brass prep in atches prior to loading it up.

Some things I do that you may find of value -

I decap in a separate step and uniform the primer pocket.

Then I wash the brass in hot soapy water shaking it around in the tub quite a bit. This gets rid of a lot of crud inside the case. A few hot water rinses and then into a 225 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

I then FL size using Imperial as the lube and wipe the case down with a paper towel. As to the neck, when I apply the Imperial I use my thumb and forefinger, and drag my thumb over the neck to catch just a very small amout of lube. This helps it go over the expander ball with minimal resistance. If you find it difficut to back the brass down over the expander use a bit more lube.

Neck sizing only with a Lee Collet Neck Die does not require lube at all. I still wash the brass when using this die.

When neck sizing only with a conventional compress/expand type die I use powdered graphite as the lube. I have a small container (shot glass) half full of #9 shotshell shot with the graphite mixed in. A few dunks into the lead shot is all it takes. Again, I still wash the brass first and sometimes even brush the inside of the neck. I wipe any excess off with a paper towel.

Trimming I do on my drill press with the Lee Case Length Gage, cuttter, and lock stud.

Then deburr inside and out.

Then prime.

Then charge and seat the bullet.

Then crip if needed.

What cartridge will you be loading?

</div></div>
Wow thanks for the info, ill be loading -06

I like to put a plastic glove on my left hand and use it to lube the cases as I put them into the die. Every-once in a while I just dip the index finger into RCBS lube and then I'm good to go again for another 20+ cases. I find that the glove method is great because it puts a very light layer of lube on the brass. I use RCBS lube because it seems to come right off with water in the ultra sonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mica inside the necks.</div></div>

I agree, I also use mica inside the necks. Works really well, and easy to use. </div></div>
How do you apply the mica? is this what your talking about?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=174134

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS case lube with the pad works for me, along with motor mica inside the necks. </div></div>

+1 on the rcbs case lube and pad, work perfect for me. Oh and glad to hear you are finally getting your stick! CONGRATS!!!

Thanks, its been a long wait but im sure itll be worth it. Scott, ill let ya know when it comes in and maybe we can get out and do some shooting.

I use RCBS Water Soluble Lube. It's sorta like a super thickened version of dishwashing liquid.

I dampen the tips of the fingers of my left hand, grab the case neck with the right and swirl the lower case wall (from shoulder to base) in the left fingers, leaving apiral lube stripes on each case as I insert it into the decapping/resizing/recapping station of my RL550B. It doesn't take much lube to be effective.

When loading is complete, I wipe down the cartridges with a soft cloth that is very lightly dampened with rubbing alky as I insert the loaded rounds into the storage/carrier boxes. It removes all traces of lube and is something I'd be doing as a last step anyway, to remove any residual handling oils.

Over the years, I've collected three bottles of the stuff, and they may outlast [i[me[/i]. I'm guessing the process I use is very similar to using the Imperial.

Greg

I use several, imperial is my current favorite. Hornady spray on works but you have to wait. And lee is actually good as well.