• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

brass ribs on expander ball

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
I tore my dies apart today to clean. My expander balls all have brass ribs on them. I clean them when I get them and lightly coat with imperial wax. Why is the brass still sticking? Scrubbed with OOOO steel wool and it knocked most off but it will still catch your thumb nail. Dies are redding and have approx 500 rounds through them.

Any ideas?

Re: brass ribs on expander ball

Applying a bit of lube to the expander ball only, and not inside case necks, is not adequate if you desire very slick operation. You'll need to lube inside each case neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Applying a bit of lube to the expander ball only, and not inside case necks, is not adequate if you desire very slick operation. You'll need to lube inside each case neck. </div></div>

Yes.

I do mine 50 at a time in the loading block with Imperial on a Q-tip before I run them in the sizing die.
It takes about 2 minutes or less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use the expander ball. Saves time and I'm not over working the necks. </div></div>

That works great as long as it doesn't screw up your neck tension!

I use Imperial Application Media with dry neck lube for all my precision cases that i have to run a ball through. I have good luck with the system. I think it is just moly or graphite powder on some ceramic milling beads... Problem solved.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I don't use the expander ball. Saves time and I'm not over working the necks."</span>

That only has meaning until you seat a bullet, bullets are at least as large as the expander. And seating into an overly small neck usually causes a significant increase in bullet runout.

I usually dip my necks into a small plastic cup with about 3/8" of powdered mica lubracant and #6 birdshot to smooth extaction. (Powdered graphite powder works better but it's a tad messy!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That only has meaning until you seat a bullet, bullets are at least as large as the expander. And seating into an overly small neck usually causes a significant increase in bullet runout.
</div></div>

I like the way you think.

"I like the way you think."

I've been doing this a very long while, about time I learned something!
wink.gif

Lunch break is over, you may continue with the floggings sargent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I like the way you think."

I've been doing this a very long while, about time I learned something!
wink.gif

Lunch break is over, you may continue with the floggings sargent.
</div></div>

No floggings from me Fuzzball.
We're on the same page.
grin.gif