• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Rotation

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
How do you guys rotate your brass, if you rotate at all? I mean, say, you have 300 pcs of RWS 300 win brass. Do you fire the entire 300 and then re-size or neck size the whole lot again, or, Do you work off 100 for 4-5 firings and then go to another 100? Just curious. Thank you

Re: Brass Rotation

I go through the entire batch I have, 100 pcs or 1000 and load them all as I need them, put the fired rounds in a separate container until I've gone through them all. Clean them and start over until your through them again. Repeat as many times as you like. They may last 5 five times or 20, depends on the brass and how hard you push them.

you can go about it in different ways.
Do you load to shoot/hunt/ compete.
if just to tinker loadthem up as you go.
to hunt. only what you need.
compete. develop a load and set aside how every many you need for a match. Especialy if you keep good records/notes.
the rest of them use them for practise sessions that way you have brass that is not over worked when it comes down to compete, and run the chances of failures.

I used save my RWS brass for hunting and shoot my RP brass at paper. I re-barreled and had issues with consistancy of the old RP brass after FL sizing so now I am shooting the RWS and I am going to run thru my entire lot and then go thru neck sizing as many times as I can. Good brass certainly makes a difference. Thanks Guys

I shoot less now, but when I was more seriously into organized shooting, I would buy my brass in a batch of 100 at a time, then shoot and reload it repeatedly until the season was done. Usually, it lasted at least that long.

Unfired brass from an event would be used up for between-match practice, so each match's brass was experiencing identical usage cycles.

The next year, I'd start out again with a new batch. Old brass would be loaded up as hunting/zombie fodder, or used for initial load development with different barrels/bullets.

Though I shoot less often and fewer organized events, I still (mostly) follow the same practice. My brass just doesn't get as much exercise these days.

I have some marksmanship 'issues' to overcome, and unless/until I do, organized shooting can't hold the same attraction for me.

Greg

I generally keep about 500 rnds in the mix at any one time, that number will keep you good for most matches and back to back shooting trips if need be. I load and shoot them until they start having issues, then I load them once more for bunker ammo, throw in my data cards and seal them up.

500 rnds takes a while to burn the life out of, so you have lots of time to acquire and get the next 500 prepped and ready to go.

I use the Frankford Arsenal 100 round boxes to keep them sorted as they are lower profile than the MTM boxes, come in different colors and stack nicely. That and they're cheap.

Cheers,

Doc