• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

brass tumbling

kingsnake987

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
ILLINOIS
what speed do you recomend to tymble at have a home made tumbler but seems to me it spins to fast motor rpms is around 1100 rpms

Re: brass tumbling

You sure that thing isn't a centrifuge?
grin.gif

Put a rheostat on it to reduce it to around 100rpm or less. The goal is to <span style="font-weight: bold">tumble</span>...without beating up the brass.

If I'm not mistaken, the Thumler's Tumbler is only 30rpm. Your spinning the crap out of yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You sure that thing isn't a centrifuge?
grin.gif

Put a rheostat on it to reduce it to around 100rpm or less. The goal is to <span style="font-weight: bold">tumble</span>...without beating up the brass. </div></div>

Unless that motor is built for less volts(that is what a rheostat does is to "cut" the volts)you will end up killing the motor.
IF this tumbler is belt driven you will have to play with changing the pulley ratio.
Respectfully,
LG

Hadn't thought about that, LG.

As it's already driving it at high RPMs, I doubt the motor would sustain low input if it's directly driven.

Good call!

thanx for the input im driving it with a belt so i will work on reducing it down I thought that was the case when i saw that the media was chipping the bucket thanx again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I'm not mistaken, the Thumler's Tumbler is only 30rpm. Your spinning the crap out of yours!</div></div>

The MOTOR is what he was talking about, not the actual tumbler.