• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Brass?

madarcher427

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
michigan
I just got my .308 .I'am stuck with factory loads for now .I 've been saving my brass. I got some ppu,ssa,& rem so far .Which is the better brass out of these . I plan on trying some fgm & buying some once fired FGM brass . I plan on reloading in the near future.

I haven't messed with the 3 headstamps you mentioned. Federal brass can be a little soft, in my experience and the primer pockets can be loose. It's fine to save the brass from your GMM, but I sure wouldn't buy any more. I've had very good luck with Lapua brass and actually with PMC brass as well, though I typically reserve it for gas-gun (where I know it'll get abused) or testing/plinking loads.

RP will last a long time, learn to anneal. I have gotten up to 24 loads with middle node loads (44.5 Varget and 175's, in 308).

You can generally pick up FC brass rather cheap, but as mentioned it is softer, so the primer pockets tend to open up faster. It is good brass for hunting, or shooting scenarios when policing your brass is not possible or inconvenient.

Don't buy fired FGMM brass. I pick up brass all the time. Lately I've been tossing a third away due to head separation signs. You can't see it till you size it. If you want an awesome FGMM substitute, buy Lapua. Don't have to do a thing to prep them. They turn my rifle into a laser gun. Better groups than with any other brass and I worked up loads for each make.

PMC seems like good brass, although they all have off center flash holes. It's heavy, weighing like LC, with similar internal capacity. There are two different batches of PPU, one weighing 15grs more than the next, so you should weigh yours and separate them. RP is like Hornady but has softer necks.

My preference is LCLR, then Lapua, then it used to be FGMM but now I'm reconsidering.

I bought some PPU white box 308 rounds and prepped the cases after shooting them. The cases seem to be very close to LC LR brass in thickness and hardness. I've not reloading any, though, so I don't have a handle on life expectancy.

What is LCLR? Where do you get it? Would the ssa & rp be good for hunting rounds?

LC brass used for match loads. Different opinions as to match grade compared to LC in quality. LCLR is not crimped. Costs more for not having to swage or ream (usually 2X+ in price).

I've started to collect brass for my in-process bolt gun build. My plans were to run the fired brass from my FGMM loads for a bit but would eventually pick up some Lapua brass due to all of the reports I've read of quality and consistency.