• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Break in Bullets?

snowdin5000

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2012
Idaho
I was talking to a guy tonight that has a 338lm just like I got. But he was telling me about I belive it was tom's or tumms bullets it was something like that. But anyway he swore by them for breaking in a barrel. Anyone know what exactly he was talking about.

Re: Break in Bullets?

"Tubbs" fire-lapping breakin bullets.

If you snipergoogle these, you'll find all sorts of opinions.

They work great if you have a barrel that is not a custom and you have tried everything and it just won't shoot and you are going to replace the barrel if it doesn't work.

I used them to break in a DPMS 308 barrel a couple of years ago.It was a new gun so I didn't have anything to compare before and after,but after finishing with the Tubb bullets,this gun seems to shoot just about anything well.I was very pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NCHillbilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used them to break in a DPMS 308 barrel a couple of years ago.It was a new gun so I didn't have anything to compare before and after,but after finishing with the Tubb bullets,this gun seems to shoot just about anything well.I was very pleased. </div></div>

How do you know the barrel wouldn't have shot just as good without the Tubb bullets?

I don't know that it wouldn't have shot just as well,but I know how a standard production rifle barrel is made,and I felt like these bullets would not only speed up the break-in process,but clean up any nasty little cutter marks.

The above is generally true; especially the part about speeding up what is normally a natural process.

If you are thinking about using them on a premium aftermarket/custom barrel, be aware that some barrelmakers don't like this and may void your warrantee of you do it. They can tell when they get their handa (and borescopes) on it.

The point, however, is that they nearly all already perform internal honing operations on their barrels, and the use of such bullets is not applicable to such barrels. Might even be counterproductive, if not in practice, then maybe at least contractually.

Greg

I ordered the Tubbs fire lapping bullets for my .308 barrel. My barrel is a stainless match by JP. Luckily before I loaded and used the bullets I read the Tubbs instructions. Tubbs said do not use the first 2 groups of 10 bullets if the barrel is a match grade or lapped by the maker. Tubbs said it's ok to use the 3 final less abrasive groups of 10 bullets, in order.

I ain't putting those down my barrel unless it's the last thing to try before putting another tube on.

The only grit I want in my barrel is a bit of JB Bore Paste 300 to 500 rounds to clean the carbon out of the throat area. Even then, I'm pretty particular about how much goes thru it.