• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Break in for .22LRs?

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I have finally come around to the well-established logic that getting a .22LR trainer is good on many fronts.
I've just put a CZ 455 on order and expect it soon. I'm planning on putting my SS 3-9 on it with a DIP 25 MOA base. I'm really excited on all fronts.

My question is...should I perform a break in, as with the larger centerfires? Opinions vary on that too, but I'm referring to an initial clean after each round for the first 5 rounds, then clean after each 5 rounds for the next 20 rounds kind of thing.

Does it matter with a .22LR? I hear the CZ is a shooter, and I certainly don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Any insight is a big help!

Re: Break in for .22LRs?

I got my CZ 452 Varmint in June and have put almost 2000 rounds of Wolf MT through it. All I've ever done is wipe down the bolt to get the brown packing grease off and I ran a dry patch through the barrel after the first 100-200 rounds. I've seen no loss in accuracy without cleaning.

I do subscribe to the minimalist school of cleaning though, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen no loss in accuracy without cleaning.</div></div>You may see a loss in accuracy with cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen no loss in accuracy without cleaning.</div></div>You may see a loss in accuracy with cleaning. </div></div>

+1 In my experience, with 22's after they are cleaned, it takes 100-200 rounds for the barrel to settle back in. IE for the groups to tighten back up.

What is "break in" ?!
grin.gif

Just make sure to remove the packing grease and you're good to go! Don't worry about break in at all.

Thanks all...I was sort of thinking along those same lines myself.
Maybe I'll just run a dry bore snake through to knock off the heavy stuff after a session or two.
I'm only recently converting my mindset over to minimal cleaning for my centerfires.

It seemed to me that common sense would dictate cleaning them after each use...but then I caught wind of several threads on the Hide that informed me otherwise.

Now I'm seeing tighter groups with less cleaning.

I had the same question.

Been running Wolf through it and only pulled the bore snake through the barrel once after it was off a little. So far it is shooting like a dream.

JaxOps

official break in for 22 heck for any gun
1. buy said firearm
2. clean said firearm
3. load and shoot said firearm
4. repeat as necessary

My official .22 rf procedure is similar to above.
1. Buy new rifle.
2. Degrease and clean bolt and receiver. Re-lube bolt as necessary.
3.Two patches wet with Hoppes thru barrel to clean debris and oil out. Then two dry patches.
4. Buy ammo by the brick of 500. Every other brick clean powder gunk off bolt face and breech face with toothbrush. re-lube bolt.
5.Continue toothbrush and bolt lube procedure every other brick for the rest of your life.

Clean the bolt. Run a boresnake down the barrel. Oil the bolt.

Shoot the snot out of it! Oil as needed.

buy a brick of premium .22lr and finish it. After that, barrel break in is complete
wink.gif

I clean as little as possible.

Just bought a Remington 40-XB from gszeto99 here on the hide. My only intention is to clean the barrel from transit to verify that nothing got in it from shipping. From here on out, just shoot it. IF accuracy ever falls off, well, then something else is to blame. Never ever had to clean a 22 except the chamber and action of gunk from shooting. If I drop it in the dirt, that is different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cproflow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...should I perform a break in, as with the larger centerfires?</div></div>

Huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixgunner455</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean the bolt. Run a boresnake down the barrel. Oil the bolt.

Shoot the snot out of it! Oil as needed. </div></div>

We have a winner! Ding, ding.

there is no way that i can run thousands of runs through my rimfire barrels without losing accuracy. Some of my rimfires want cleaned every 150 rounds. A quick clean with a patch worm and I'm back at it. A 50 yard group will go from sub .5" to .80" or so and I know its time to clean. It takes somewhere between 2 and 10 rounds after cleaning to get the best accuracy back. I usually shoot for groups so I have never bothered running a thousand rounds through a barrel to see if the .80" groups stay the norm or if accuracy continues to get worse over time.

I no longer am going to run anything through the barrels of my .22LRs but ammo. I boresnaked when things started looking funky, both in the barrel and downrange, but I'm going to stop that and see what happens with accuracy over time/dirtiness for my own benefits and to draw my own conclusions.

Every .22LR rifle/barrel I have received no conscientious break-in.

With centerfire, there is at least a theory that running a bunch of rounds through it will smooth out some of the marks left over from machining.

a 22lr is a low pressure, low velocity round that shoots lead bullets. The barrels last hundreds of thousands of rounds. If there is break in to be accomplished, it should take tens of thousands of rounds. In short, no there is no break in for 22.

There is a thing called seasoning the barrel. Each ammo manufacturer uses a different lube. Some manufacturers use multiple lubes. Whenever you switch ammo, it is a good idea to thoroughly clean the barrel and then it takes about 10 - 50 rounds to "season" the clean barrel. This is the process of having the new lube coat the barrel.

As far as how clean to keep the rifle... that depends on the rifle. I try to run a single dry patch after every range session. About every 500 - 1,000 rounds, I will do a thorough cleaning with solvent. Some rifles like to be dirty. Some shoot better clean. You will just have to experiment to see what yours likes.