• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breakin/Plinking Ammo for AR10 recommendation

garyaug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2004
Macungie, Pa
A friend is getting an AR10 Match Platform...(Larue)
He doesn't reload or want to shoot reloads. Mostly he shoots FGMM 175gr. He would like a cheap breakin ammo. Any recommendations?

Re: Breakin/Plinking Ammo for AR10 recommendation

I am always amazed by people spending $3k (give or take) on a quality rifle and then worrying about saving money on scopes, mounts, rings, mags, ammo, etc., etc.
confused.gif

It is 50 rounds...50. It isn't going to break the bank to shoot 50 quality rounds through the rifle versus shooting 50 rounds of _______________________ (insert name of less expensive, bulk 308 ammo).

If he absolutely insists on using cheap, bulk ammo to break in his new LW barrel on his OBR, then 50 rounds of Winchester 147gr FMJ or comparable alternative will cost around $35 or so less than 50 rounds of comparable match ammo.

I totally agree...I offered to load 168gr Amax tips in 1X Fired LC Brass for 11.00 per box but he doesn't want to shoot reloads (can't blame him I wouldn't shoot someone elses loads) I told him to come to my place and load but is uneasy about reloading.

I agree with you 100% on using other people's reloads. I just don't do it (with one extremely limited exception...I'll run my Dad's reloads because I have seen him reload for decades and I trust his process and his attention to every detail).

Everybody is uneasy about reloading at first. It is a plunge that some people are just never willing to take for one reason or another. It is just so hard these days with match 308 ammo running $1.50/round (or more) to NOT get into reloading. I can shoot 4x or more as much for the same money by reloading (depending on the caliber, components, etc.).

Hopefully your friend, once the money starts to evaporate and he wants to shoot more with his new 308 OBR, will get a dose of reality and he'll go about learning the art of reloading.

Good luck!