• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater "Breaking Bad" season opener

Fred_C_Dobbs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
It aired last Sunday, and I can't believe no one here has remarked to it. Am I the only one who watched?

Re: "Breaking Bad" season opener

I quit watching after the episode where Hank shot the Mex. hitman with the sample bullet. Ultimate episode ending in my opinion, figured it couldn't ever improve from there....

I'm still trying to figure out if that was an M60 in the trunk of that car in the beginning and what the hell it had to do with the episode. I know I've missed shows in some of the seasons but that's one thing I like about it. Not hard to jump in again. It definitely is one of the best, if not the best, written shows currently airing.

Vince Gilligan doesn't want me to spill the beans on this one because that's the sort of mystery that keeps you watching, but I think the M60 buy is a flash-forward.

His storylines are full of nonsequiturs, like in the episode of the airliner crash. It starts with a shot of the teddybear's eyeball floating in Walt's pool, but Walt hasn't yet set into motion the events that indirectly lead to the midair collision. Along that same line, there were snippets of scenes in the "previews" leading up to the season opener that weren't in the season opener itself. So after S5E1, you're left still wanting to see the scenes they teased you with.

There are a number of clues in S5E1 that it's been a relatively short period of time since the end of the action in Season 4. Like Mike hasn't yet tracked down Walt and killed him for his killing of Gus, and Hank is just getting around to visiting the investigation of Gus's burned-out meth lab, which still is ongoing. Yet in the opening scene, Walt is sporting a several months growth of hair. So the reason we don't yet know why he felt he needed the M60 probably is that we've not yet seen the events that led to him buying it.

Walt is at a crossroads. He's in a position where he conceivably could walk away from his criminal life, but his conversation in the car with Mike after the visit to the evidence room is a clue that that ain't gonna happen. And if this is to be the last season, I think it's a given that Walt either has to be rehabilitated ...or killed off. So I look for the remainder of the season to be full of seemingly random jumpcuts revealing more seemingly unrelated details. Like Heller's <span style="font-style: italic">Catch 22</span>, the connections don't become evident until he's ready to call it a wrap. All intended to keep us from guessing where he's actually headed.

And S5E1 was full of attempts to further obfuscate what path Walt might choose. He's adopted a very malevolent tone with Mike, and with Skylar for that matter. And did you see her eyes when Walt told her, "I forgive you."? I couldn't begin to guess what that expression was supposed to convey.

Maybe there was something pivotal in that opening scene. After his friendly neighborhood illegal NFA salesman had left him in the Denny's bathroom, Walt took a pill. Is this a foreshadowing that his cancer has returned?

So at any rate, fasten your safety belt, it's going to be a bum-py flight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if this is to be the last season, I think it's a given that Walt either has to be rehabilitated ...or killed off. </div></div>

Or they could pull a Soprano's and just cut to black at the carwash with Walt looking at Walt Jr. working where he (Walt Sr.) began, bwahahahaha!

Seriously though if he's written that, kick him in the nuts for me.

[/quote] It definitely is one of the best, if not the best, written shows currently airing. [/quote]

+1 , if not THE best.

This show is just that much better than everything else Ive watched for years...I feel it only gets better and better..and last season was f**king EPIC:)

I agree it's a very well written show. Not sure where it will lead right now

Just watched episode 3 of season 5 today. This is a great show. I can't even guess where this season is going. I was curious as to why he was all the way on the other side of the country buying an M-60.

He wasn't on the other side of the country when he bought the M-60. Walt tells the Denny's waitress he's driven 30 hours <span style="text-decoration: underline">from</span> New Hampshire to get to wherever "here" is. When she asks if he's en route to Kalifornia, he says, no, and adds that wherever it is they are is his final destination, and that he's come there on bidness.

Bathroom gun merchant asks for his word that the 60 won't be crossing the border and Walt replies that it it'll never leave town. I think he was just returned to Albuquerque, a man on a mission.

No details confirming he actually had been to New Hampshire -- Mike surely could've rustled up the NH driver's license and license plates right there in ABNM -- but Walt did speak highly of the Boston science museum to the waitress.

Near the end of this week's episode, Skylar's bitch sister was all up in arms that no one was planning for Walt's 51st birthday party. During the Denny's breakfast scene, Walt says it's his 52nd birthday, so that scene was more than a year out of sync with "now." Could be something in the next few episodes will compel Walt to un-ass the AO for New England, either for his health or something relating to the bidness.

Does anyone else find they have a very strong urge to reach through the screen and uppercut all the women on AMC programs, or is that just me? Skyler is being a total bitch right now. IMO he should have mike kill her and make it look like a suicide.

Also, Mr White is also kinda acting like a dick right now. Jesse and Mike are like the only two people I don't want to friggin manhandle at this point lol. Actually Jesse seems to be the most level headed as he's ever been right now, which is wierd because he's usually freaking out about something.

Agree completely, Walt is acting like a douche, I'm starting to like Jesse a lot more than I did before and Mike is just Mike. Is it just me, or is there way too much family drama with Skylar?

About the M60, an episode or two back Walt and JR were sitting down watching Scarface, they only showed the ending where Tony Montana was going bat shit crazy with the M16, I wonder if that was a little foreshadowing on how it will end?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else find they have a very strong urge to reach through the screen and uppercut all the women on AMC programs, or is that just me? Skyler is being a total bitch right now. IMO he should have mike kill her and make it look like a suicide.

Also, Mr White is also kinda acting like a dick right now. Jesse and Mike are like the only two people I don't want to friggin manhandle at this point lol. Actually Jesse seems to be the most level headed as he's ever been right now, which is wierd because he's usually freaking out about something. </div></div>

1115466316c7b31948e61111279339c0.gif

BB is at its best when it's about guns and bombs and drugs and bad-assed über-criminals. When it delapitates into a family squabble soap opera, it purely sucks.

Skylar used to be pretty easy on the eye (especially when she was in 'Deadwood'). Now she looks like she's auditioning to be Rosie O'Donnell's understudy.

Walt's latest transformation was pretty clumsy. I always tell people they shouldn't try to watch the show unless they start at the very beginning, S01E01. Walt's gradual transition from mild mannered HS chemistry teacher to murdering thug crank cook was as brilliant a piece of theater as I've ever seen. In light of his circumstances, every decision he made seemed so ...logical, responsible even. Under similar circumstances, I could see me making the same bad choices.

Especially in light of how slick the earlier change was, this latest jumpcut to full-fledged phallus was just plain crude. It's almost like he's stepped out of character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MNjm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...an episode or two back Walt and JR were sitting down watching Scarface, they only showed the ending where Tony Montana was going bat shit crazy with the M16, I wonder if that was a little foreshadowing on how it will end? </div></div>
Interesting observation. Could be we'll find out before the grand finale that that movie was what gave him the idea for the M60.

For me, Walt's transformation actually started as the dad in Malcolm in the Middle. Bryan Cranston is an amazing actor. On a smaller scale, it almost reminds me of the transformation of Al Pacino from the almost meek Michael Corleone, to the undeniable bad-ass he becomes who eventually kills his own brother in a boat.

I do marvel at that goofball in the M-i-t-M reruns.

There's an article about the show in the 16 Aug issue of Rolling Stone. Says Cranston still takes acting coaching.

They talked about the show's writing style, how sometimes they don't even know where things are going. They knew at the beginning of last season that Hector had to kill Gus, so they put an index card on the story board with "ding, boom!" written on it. Then they just had to create a storyline that led to "ding" and "boom."

Vince Gilligan says Pinkman gets killed off in the final episode. He gets his head caught in the door of the RV and ripped off, then Walt melts part of his body into a new formula for meth, then eats the rest.

But he could have been kidding.

Bob Odenkirk is hoping Saul Goodman doesn't get whacked so he can parlay that character into a spinoff series.

I've watched this show from day 1, it is an amazing drama. as a matter of fact I was just telling a group of friends Sat night about the whole series and especially how the 1st episode was so damn addicting. More addicting than the meth they're cookin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BB is at its best when it's about guns and bombs and drugs and bad-assed über-criminals. When it delapitates into a family squabble soap opera, it purely sucks. </div></div>

The dinner scene from last Sunday was pretty hilarious, family soap opera or not.

BB is the best show on TV. Action, drama, comedy... it does it all. You either love the characters or love to hate them. It's been interesting watching Walt descend down a path of self-destruction as a sociopath.

I just had to look things up regarding this being the last season. I wasn't aware that the last episodes of this season will air next year. The last episode was definitely a cliff hanger with Hank getting the W.W. at the very end.

It was nice to see Walt's character recognize he needed to get out and see the pile of cash. But what a flip from whacking Mike and his crew! That's also the first time Skylar's character has resembled her previous self. I'm guessing the M60 might be related to the getting out part. I'm not really caring how it plays out, it's definitely been an interesting ride without turning into or feeling like a soap opera like The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy.