• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking in a new KAC LPR. Also need advice on optic.

reclaimer1986

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2011
18" Krieger stainless steel barrel, brand new. Any advice on break in? I have M855 and 77g match rounds.

Have not decided on a scope yet. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". I've got $1k set aside right now, should have $2k in a month and $3k by January. The new aimpoint T2 micro comes out soon, and I would like to keep the gun as light as possible. Seems like a solid choice. That said, the T2 would eat into my scope budget. And having an LPR with a red dot seems like a waste...

Some ideas floating in my head right now

First choice- Aimpoint T2 now, save for a premium 1-X scope. Get a 3x magnifier if I get bored.
-Iron sights for now, save for a premium 1-X scope sooner.
-Cheap 1-X or 3x9 scope and save for a premium 1-X scope
-Acog and RMR combo for minimum weight
-Get a "decent" scope like nightforce NXS 2.5-10 and put the rest of the money towards ammo and a bipod

I'm getting a military discount on the optic FWIW.

18" Krieger stainless steel barrel, brand new. Any advice on break in? I have M855 and 77g match rounds.

Have not decided on a scope yet. I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". I've got $1k set aside right now, should have $2k in a month and $3k by January. The new aimpoint T2 micro comes out soon, and I would like to keep the gun as light as possible. Seems like a solid choice. That said, the T2 would eat into my scope budget. And having an LPR with a red dot seems like a waste...

Some ideas floating in my head right now

First choice- Aimpoint T2 now, save for a premium 1-X scope. Get a 3x magnifier if I get bored.
-Iron sights for now, save for a premium 1-X scope sooner.
-Cheap 1-X or 3x9 scope and save for a premium 1-X scope
-Acog and RMR combo for minimum weight
-Get a "decent" scope like nightforce NXS 2.5-10 and put the rest of the money towards ammo and a bipod

I'm getting a military discount on the optic FWIW.

I am interested in what people have to say about this also as I bought the same upper! Some thoughts of mine were the same nightforce and the Razor gen 2 1-6. But...I was also thinking going with a Leupold Mark 6 3-18 though...

I am currently using only an eotech xps 2 with g33 magnifier until i get a scope.

For 2k you can get into either of the MK6 line, the 1-6 if you want a CQBish rifle or the 3-18 if you want a more reach out and touch type rifle. I'm very very happy with my Mk6.

Or the NF 2.5-10 is pretty well regarded as well.

Putting anything less than a 1-4 powered optic on an LPR would defeat the purpose of owning one.

For a $2k budget I'd put a NF 2.5-10x42 on it. You won't be sorry. As funds allow get an offset pic rail ring top and stick an RMR or a T2 on it. Best of both worlds.

I'd like something with true 1 power, if I go with a higher powered optic I'd add an RMR.

Good suggestions so far, now I've got a lot of research to do.

I don't know how many times I've recommended this scope on the Hide, but I'll do it again. Bushnell SMRS 1-6x: Bushnell - SMRS 1-6.5x 24mm

They come in SFP or FFP and they have great glass for the $1300 price tag. Ive been running the SFP version with the BTR-2 reticle on my SCAR17 for a while now and its great. On 1x with the illumination on, its like using an EoTech. If I had the money I'd buy a second one for my AR.

I'm really surprised this scope isn't super popular. It probably has something to do with the fact that it doesn't come with a big "NF" logo on it. Make no mistake, its an excellent optic for the cash.

You could take the money $700 you save an put it towards a can or something! Just my $.02

If you go with low power like a 3-9x40mm scope why do you hinder yourself with only low power. If you get a scope like mine it has 4.5-18x40mm. I can not tell the difference between 3 power and 4.5 power. It sure is nice when you have much higher power when you want than not having it when you want it. Mine is a Bushnell Tactical AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom. The turrets are as repeatable as a NF. The clarity of the glass is excellent too. You can see your bullet holes in your target at 100 plus yds. also which gives you a better chance to shoot smaller groups like mine shoots.

PS: If you drop your toys on rocks and drag them by the barrel to your deer stand or are in the military you might need a NF or S&B. If not you will love this scope. If you can't see it you can't hit it. Sometimes you can only see his head and if he's at 300 yds. what then. Also here is my 1,000 yd. rifle that I use in competition. I don't compete in point blank shooting any more since I shot at 1,000 yds.

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 22
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS .JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1,000 yd rifle .JPG
    1,000 yd rifle .JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I have a MK6 3-18 on my SR25 DMR and could not be happier. Its a very compact scope for its magnification range with great glass and offers a variety of reticle choices.

I would Actually recommend the Optisan CX6 1-6x Scope developed by our very BigJimFish here on the Hide. It's right at the $600 which is probably the BEST Value on the market I think for a 1-6x socpe. There's a written review right here on the hide and some Youtube vids as well. I got one on order which should get here next week. I'll post a review soon!

CX 1-6×24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo7v2kAOeeo

I would go with a mk6 3-18 or NF 2.5-10x42. Then an offset T2 in the future. A swfa, vortex, kahles, or sswaro 1-6 wouldn't be bad either.

My LPR loved the 77 grn. 55grn didn't perform well at all.

That's great that the 55's worked well. Me with 75's (previously indicated 77's) shot to the best of my ability, which was right at, slightly under 1MOA. The 55's opened up to 1.5 MOA.

Just me and my ability. The rifle is awesome and likely capable of better in the right hands.

After sleeping on it and doing a lot of research, I've decided to save up for a premium 1-6 scope. No point in delaying with a cheap placeholder. In the meantime it will give me a chance to practice with the irons.

One question (I may need to make a separate thread in the optics section)... Besides reticle design, are there any big differences between the Kahles K16i or Swarofski Z6i? One weighs an ounce more, the other is a tiny bit longer. The rest of the specs are nearly identical. I know the Swarofski has a mil discount program, not sure about the Kahles.

If your gonna spend that kind of money then get the Leoupold 1-8. Hero fish does a great review of all the 1-6 t0 1-8 scopes and the Leoupold 1-8 kicks ass.