• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breakout Box is ready

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I got the Sonnet Breakout box assembled and tested on my new 13" MBP,

Plug and play for that model, the older 2013 MP has to have some software hacks installed, but otherwise I am confident it will work out well.

Update on the system,

Over the weekend I changed out all the old memory (based on the one that failed) and updated the entire system to 128GB. That appeared to breath a bunch of new life into the Mac Pro. It's running like a Swiss watch (minus the time loss) and comparing a simple Online GPU test the 13" MBP is running close to the Mac Pro when using the BOB Egpu, so the score is pretty high without even adding the box to the Pro desktop.

I hope it future proofs me a bit and takes a bit of heat and stress out of the box editing video.

Gotta fix the set up, as everything was tore up office, I have to re-assign the Thunderbolt stuff and I need to arrange my USB ports in a different way. The monitor seems weak in the USB department so I am gonna use an extra dock to power everything.

That's awesome. So you did get it up and running on the MBP and the MP and it drives your monitor just fine also?

Yes

I can plug into the Display port and drive my 34" LG Monitor no problem from the MBP, it's pretty good, nice and responsive

I am not gonna run all the darn Geek Bench numbers on everything but the fact it's plug and play on the MBP and shows a basic improvement over the factory graphics is good enough for me to try hacking the desktop and running it

Reactions: Nik H and AIAW
    Just as long as it doesn’t accidentally delete the Motuvational Picture Thread... it’s a sterling bit of kit!!!

Cheers, Sirhr

PS... sorry about the Cockney, I just spent two weeks in Italy with mostly British archaeologists. I desperately need to get home and revert to my slack jawed yankee hillbilly self... Cheerio...

For the Mac Pro, also keep in mind that there are three thunderbolt busses (2 ports per bus). You would not want to put a display on the same bus as another high bandwidth device (like the eGPU for example). If you can help it anyway. I have three thunderbolt displays on my Pro, so I have some overlap with 10G ethernet and RAID devices.

I am up and running just doing some tests,

I am working off the Display port now through the eGPU and disconnected the HDMI post to the LG

Running a basic test to see what happens I can rearrange posts in a second

I am rendering a 4k video, just footage, not making anything

I did 13 minutes plus generators and LUTS too all of it, in order to see.

FCPX appeared to start up a lot faster and I have enabled the acceleration for external GPUs

So I will see shortly

But so far no issues, fingered crossed

Ok,

I just rendered 4k footage with 3, 30 second generators and a different LUT On each clip

13:21 total for the footage, all Blackmagic 4k, (not raw) in 16:25 and the machine was zipping along.

I think I have more life left in her... she is sailing on some fair seas now.

The memory upgrade helped with some of the other apps and the eGPU appears to be working and dividing the load off the system.

Interested to hear the decrease in render time now versus the previous setup with the internal GPU/memory combo!

Reactions: MarinePMI
    So disappointed. Thought we were getting a modern day Shout Box on the hide.

Instead. More nerd stuff. Lol