• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Brevis 6.5mm can experiences

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    well bottom line is i ordered a brevis 6.5mm can and i am wondering what to expect. it will probably be 4 months until i can test it out so anything helps.

mine is going on a trg in 260
    thanks scott

Re: Brevis 6.5mm can experiences

20"<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long is the hosts barrel? </div></div>

It will be snappy. Mt 30 cal cans do a great job on the 260 so I just let them go like that. It wont be as quiet as a 30 cal can on a 20" barrel given the volume but I have a 30cal Brevis and on a 26" barrel shooting Hornady Superformance its does very well in suppression and downrange acoustics.

I think you will be happy with it but plan on wearing an ear plug for extended range sessions.

I have a 6.5 Brevis on my 21" .260, works great.

I shoot 123's at 3046 and I don't need ear pro at all.

I also have not had any POI change from firing without to firing with the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a Brevis in .308 on my 20" .260 and its pretty quiet. I'll find ya the video.</div></div>

can't wait to see the video

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6.5 Brevis on my 21" .260, works great.

I also have not had any POI change from firing without to firing with the can.</div></div>

fi you don't mind what is your load?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6.5 Brevis on my 21" .260, works great.

I also have not had any POI change from firing without to firing with the can.</div></div>

fi you don't mind what is your load? </div></div>I would have to ask if I can give it out as it was not developed by me.

If you wan't I'll find out and let you know if I can.

If you can, clue me in Ol'Pal O Mine

I use a .30cal Brevis on my 6.5x47L's. Out of my 28" bbl I am getting 2900fps out of my 30" I am getting 3000 fps with no POI change. I can shoot it with no ear protection all day long. People say they look weird because of the diameter but all I can say is it works. The baffles are made of " Incannel" spelling could be wrong. But they will never wear out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sturkis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a .30cal Brevis on my 6.5x47L's. Out of my 28" bbl I am getting 2900fps out of my 30" I am getting 3000 fps with no POI change. I can shoot it with no ear protection all day long. People say they look weird because of the diameter but all I can say is it works. The baffles are made of " Incannel" spelling could be wrong. But they will never wear out. </div></div>

Inconel

They will wear out eventually. The longer barrels help take some of the abuse down. Shorter barrels are inherently worse on blast baffles then anything else.

I used my .308 " stubby" can on my .223 SBR before I got a dedicated .223 can.

and now I use it on 6.5 grendel...

I like it. here is a video of it on sbr.. you can see it doesn't make for a good flash hider LOL
    cool.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2arF4uf2K1Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2arF4uf2K1Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

well i am happy to find out that there aren't any issues from anyone, it makes me feel alot better about my decision to purchase.

Typically muzzle flash after the first round is a pretty good indicator of sound suppressor under-performance. So if you see flash multiple times in a row, it would generally indicate the suppressor isn't operating efficiently.

Silencer Research tested their 7.62 can in the high 140 DB range- AKA loud for an $800 product.

We've been accused of selling loud suppressors by people who haven't shot our suppressors, but the loudest suppressor we sell is the $350 Spartan II and it will do under 140DB average on a 16" barrel. In fairness the Brevis is much better looking with it's nice finish and laser engraved logo and all that of course.

The loudest suppressor we ever sold was our $275 Scout .308 and it metered ~141- but had a really nice sound to it, and in .308 many products from mainstream companies meter 143 or better average. I actually shot it 15 meters to the right of a a very expensive and name branded product (the over the barrel .308) and everyone present 7-10 people agreed the brand name was louder [from our location 15 yards away and right on top of the Scout being fired]. Both weapons were bolt guns- both with M118LR.

The Brevis website said the product had a symmetrical baffle system- that typically harms performance. Short length also hurts performance. The best symmetrical system I prototyped in 5.56 was still 3-DB louder than the best asymmetrical one of the same size and bore diameter.

That best symetrical performer was similar to a Maxim 1909 baffle but with a more durable blast chamber configuration. Ase Utra's S series baffle is also a 1909 style baffle.

The only issue with the 1909 style baffle is that it doesn't work as well as asymetric baffles in suppressors with large blast chambers, and large blast chambers are pretty much necessary for good safety factor because small blast chambers and 300 series stainless steels like 316 even create pressure conditions not suitable for the material. Now change the tube material to 17-4PH or 4130 steel, and keep temperature below 900F and you have a great baffle in the 1909 Maxim.

And Ase Utra's S series cans do a great job of producing good performance to length ratios using that baffle. The only obvious drawback of these cans is that they place the blast baffle a few tenths of an inch from the muzzle crown, and that means the barrel is going to experience some accelerated wear most likely from the suppressor- especially in rapid fire. <Of course it seems the S series is targeted to european hunters who are predominantly bolt gunners, while the more modern Z jet design is targeted to military applications.