• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brief overall impressions of TacOps Lima 51

pharm762

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Bensalem, PA
I recently received this rifle after a while of waiting but it was definitely worth the wait. Everything about this rifle is perfect and perfectly done. I have had a GAP, AIAX, Ashbury, and Tactical Rifles and this one just feels much better and looks absolutely great. The Birdsong paint job is just so meticulously done that even the threaded portion of the barrel is done with utmost attention to detail. I have not fired this rifle and will post later here when i get a chance to go to the range. But from what the test target looks like it will not disappoint.

as for the build i wanted it to look as much like the Marine Corp M40a3 rifle. I opted out of the DBM (even though he offered to put it on) because I can't tell you the amount of times i have had a hard day at the range because i forgot my mags. also i opted out because i have semi auto 308 rifles for that job. my mindset was a "bug out rifle" where i would just grab the rifle and ammo and be on my merry way. i just wanted to go back to basics and most of the weekend competitions i do are nothing like some of the competitions i see here on the Hide. its really just a simple, easy competition for the weekend warrior and would not have any trouble with just 4+1.

the specs of the rifle are a heavy fill stock with a super thick, heavy barrel. it was mainly going to be a prone gun but the weight is heavy yet balanced for those standing and sitting positions. it is a really heavy rifle and quite comparable to the AIAX in weight. it has a 20" barrel with TacOps 3A threading (i have a suppressor pending). like i said the pair job is pristine and even. it has a glossy look but does not glare. the contrast between the OD and the black i think is exceptional. the thread protector was also done perfectly for if it was not in black i would have missed it totally. it blends perfectly with the rest of the barrel and is crowned at the end. the action is super smooth and like butter. the trigger was super crisp and broke cleanly and very lightly. upon closer examination the bolt lugs are camfered and deburred. the bottom metal was done very well too and feed the ammunition smoothly. i am really eager to take it out and try some different ammo through it. i will post on a later dates my range report. here are some pics.

Mike builds an incredible rifle. You can't beat the Lima model line, I've got a Lima 66 and I love it.

Thanks for the post on your nice new Lima. I haven't seen that many posts of new Tac Ops lately, but I haven't been lurking either-

Makes me excited to think about getting the new Delta light weight I ordered last year. Clock's ticking!

This makes me even more excited to get my Lima 51 from Mike. I ordered it in Oct 2013 and I'm waiting patiently...

Great looking rifle! You like it now, but wait till you start sending rounds down range. Sometimes it seems like cheating, boringly accurate! You're going to love it! Congrats brother, great rifle.

Congratulations on the acquisition! I just received my Delta and I'm beyond thrilled with it.

I recently received this rifle after a while of waiting but it was definitely worth the wait. Everything about this rifle is perfect and perfectly done. I have had a GAP, AIAX, Ashbury, and Tactical Rifles and this one just feels much better and looks absolutely great. The Birdsong paint job is just so meticulously done that even the threaded portion of the barrel is done with utmost attention to detail. I have not fired this rifle and will post later here when i get a chance to go to the range. But from what the test target looks like it will not disappoint.

as for the build i wanted it to look as much like the Marine Corp M40a3 rifle. I opted out of the DBM (even though he offered to put it on) because I can't tell you the amount of times i have had a hard day at the range because i forgot my mags. also i opted out because i have semi auto 308 rifles for that job. my mindset was a "bug out rifle" where i would just grab the rifle and ammo and be on my merry way. i just wanted to go back to basics and most of the weekend competitions i do are nothing like some of the competitions i see here on the Hide. its really just a simple, easy competition for the weekend warrior and would not have any trouble with just 4+1.

the specs of the rifle are a heavy fill stock with a super thick, heavy barrel. it was mainly going to be a prone gun but the weight is heavy yet balanced for those standing and sitting positions. it is a really heavy rifle and quite comparable to the AIAX in weight. it has a 20" barrel with TacOps 3A threading (i have a suppressor pending). like i said the pair job is pristine and even. it has a glossy look but does not glare. the contrast between the OD and the black i think is exceptional. the thread protector was also done perfectly for if it was not in black i would have missed it totally. it blends perfectly with the rest of the barrel and is crowned at the end. the action is super smooth and like butter. the trigger was super crisp and broke cleanly and very lightly. upon closer examination the bolt lugs are camfered and deburred. the bottom metal was done very well too and feed the ammunition smoothly. i am really eager to take it out and try some different ammo through it. i will post on a later dates my range report. here are some pics.

Congratulations on your Lima 51 and "Welcome to The Club", pharm762. I know you'll love your Tac Ops - they truly are working pieces of art that must be handled and shot to be understood and appreciated. Did you order a TAC .30 Stainless or TAC .30 Titanium? Both are awesome working art as well, but if I had the choice I'd get a TAC .30 Titanium for the lighter weight. I just wish I could own my own suppressors...

Keith

"I have had a GAP, AIAX, Ashbury, and Tactical Rifles and this one just feels much better and looks absolutely great." Please tell me you didn't just mention TR in the same sentence as the others...

"I have had a GAP, AIAX, Ashbury, and Tactical Rifles and this one just feels much better and looks absolutely great." Please tell me you didn't just mention TR in the same sentence as the others...

OP, after you have broken in your new Lima, I also would be very interested in a comparison of the five rifles you mention owning: TacOps, Gap, AIAX, Ashbury and TR. I know which one I expect to be your new favorite ;-}

I have a TacOps 30 titanium waiting. They are just pending
Cool, a perfect match. Just for my further vicarious enjoyment, might I also suggest a Green Hornet? Below is a photo of an integrally-suppressed Green Hornet.

Integrally-suppressed Tac Ops Green Hornet .22LR in Green-T & Black-T:

Keith

Cool pics. I'm planning on sending out a downpayment this week to get on the list. Mike is a great guy to talk to