• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bright flashlight that takes AA? Is it out there?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
Ok so here is what I am wanting. I want a very bright light, one that has the option to be weapon mounted or hand held, would like to have the option to get a green filter for it for hunting at night. Strobe would be nice but not needed. I want as many lumens as I can get but also want the beam to be seen at over 100yds away if the a shot presents itself at that distance at night. I want it to be durable, waterproof and last! It needs to be able to take AA batteries, as they are cheaper than the CR123s that most of the tactical-ish lights use, plus I figure it would be easier to find AA in any kind of emergency situation that may present itself. Would also like to stay under $100 if possible.

I have been looking at the Elusive Wildlife Tech. KillLight 100 and 250, but they don't take AA. I like the looks of the NiteCore MH2A, takes AA and has a wall charging option with 600 lumens and found green light filters. Any one have any experience? Thanks for your help!

Ben

I love fenix lights. But for high performance and bright lights you'd be better off going with something other than AA's.

I love my AA everyday carry lights where a lot of lumens isnt necessary, but for something brighter and wanting to throw a beam further youre going to need to run a lot of AA's or have very poor run time.

I run my fenix lights with rechargeable 18650's. They are inexpensive (especially compared to cr123's), rechargeable, and will replace 2 - CR123's. Thats the only way to go IMO.

I use these rechargeables.
Ultrafire 3000mAh Protected Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery - Button Top

And this charger
http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf-139-.html

Last edited:
What do you consider bright enough lumens-wise? If you're looking for a AA light, good luck finding a mount system for weapon mounting.

As far as a normal every-day carry light, I use one of these: Streamlight ProTac 2AA LED Flashlight
Very true on "bright enough" with AA lights. Honestly OP, I understand your reasoning for wanting to stick with AA for availability, but just as was said above you're better off with a 18650 rechargeable. There's 12v adapters and solar chargers out there that will help you in a disaster situation a lot better than having compatibility and easiness to find.

I will add one thing, I really don't think you'll be limited to finding a weapon mounting ring for a AA light as much as you'll be limited to finding one that is shock buffered. I would not recommend using the LD41 I linked up above in a weapon application.

For a weapon light with a long distance throw need on a budget (no Surefire money), I would opt for a Fenix TK22 (200m+ throw), mount, skip the remote pressure switch and use the standard tail-cap, and a good shock buffered 18650 battery. They have green filters for the TK22 as well. Typically the deeper the head of the flashlight, the longer distance of throw it will have (tighter) depending on the reflector as well of course. Fenix TK22 XM-L2(U2) LED Flashlight - Fenix-Store

A good alternative for a bit more is the Nitecore SRT7 with selectable light colors, skipping the need for a light sucking filter. http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=83#.Uy7bPc79bj4

Again, stick to quality 18650s that are shock buffered. You will save far more money and have further versatility with rechargeable 3400mAh Li-ion batteries that take 500 charge/discharge cycles than pissing money into standard Li-ion or others. Fenix ARB-L2S 3400 mAh 18650 Battery - Fenix-Store

I really like the specs on that Nitecore SRT7, anyone have one? I also think that I'll be able to do the rechargeable batteries, I think those will work just fine! I really appreciate the replies!

Ben

I really like the specs on that Nitecore SRT7, anyone have one? I also think that I'll be able to do the rechargeable batteries, I think those will work just fine! I really appreciate the replies!

Ben

You definitely wont regret going with the 18650's. I have a smaller nitecore, wouldnt hesitate buying another one, they are high quality.

Check out batteryjunction, thats where I go for all my battery and flashlight purchases, great customer service and fast shipping. (I have no affiliation with them)

I have been happy with a few lights from 4sevens. You can get at least 280 lumens from AA, maybe more these days.

After looking at the SRT7 more I realized that the green LEDs aren't going to be bright enough for night time hunting. So I found the NiteCore MH25 which comes with a kit with a weapon mount, tail switch, two color filters, rechargeable battery that you guys have mentioned and has the ability to be charged from a USB port which will be pretty versatile in my opinion! I think that will be the light I end up going with!

Ben

AA is nice, but the 18650's really can go the distance. If you are running AA Eneloops, look into Goal Zero or Ancher for charging solar platforms.

As far as brands: mixing both 18650 and AA. Klarus XT11, Fenix Tk22, Thrunite TN11S, Eagletac, Nitecore, 4Sevens Quarks etc…, OLight, Jetbeam BC25 or the newer RRTs,

Overall - The Klarus has the nicer spill to hotspot for room cqb work, Fenix isn't too far behind. Plenty of comps on Youtube by goinggear and others. since its hard to try before you buy.

i use the klarus xt 11 everyday as a mechanic and it gets beatup purdy good. ive been runnin it for a lil over a year. i run the 4500mhz rechargeable batteries. they are gtg. i had a aa fenix but got tired of putting batteries in it.

its a great signaling device and it has got me out of a few jams on several occasions after you carry one of these high quality lights daily, you will not be without one. especially if you get your hands dirty for a living.

One thing to think about, As I do living in a state that can be pretty cold. Alkaline batteries perform poorly in cold weather. The other nice thing about the 18650 lights is they are Lithium and have no cold issues.
Rechargeable bats are the way to go. Another option is to run a AA light that is rated for 14450 (rechargeable lithium AA's) I carry a Jet Beam PA 20 that can get 600 lumens out of one. and if I need to, I can still run standard Eneloops or regular or Lithium AA's that I can get at any gas station in a pinch. I also run a Fenix E35 Single 18650 that can get 225 lumens.

The thing Is to get more lumens with a AA light, you normally need to run with a light that uses 2 x AA which makes it a bit harder for pocket carry due to length.

Go to candlepower forums (It's the Snipers hide of flashlights) and do some research. Lots of review, and options to research...