• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bringing back my 338 Savagae 110BA for refund

Re: Bringing back my 338 Savagae 110BA for refund

A 338LM is a hellava big rifle to "learn to be a shooter" on. Maybe the whole problem is to much stick for you.....

You flinching, Anticipating, or dreading the trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 338LM is a hellava big rifle to "learn to be a shooter" on. Maybe the whole problem is to much stick for you.....

You flinching, Anticipating, or dreading the trigger? </div></div>

New to this rifle, been shooting awhile now. I need to get used to this rifle is what was meant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCPORTING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
402 said:
I run 88gr of H4831SC or 88.4 N560 with my 250gr SMK
I run 88gr of H1000 or 93gr N570 with my 300gr Scenars
Lapua brass
Sully</div></div>

H1000 w/250gr SMK book says.....
89.3gr to 100.1gr

At 2950 fps were you load your 250 SMK w/H4830SC 88gr i would have to load theH1000 at 97.9 to match your velocity. [/

Please read my post again, I did not say anything about fps. I posted what my loads are for the gr bullets I use. I posted this info for reference only, don't read more into it. You need to work up loads for your rifle just because it's the same caliber by the same mfgr means zip.
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCPORTING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
402 said:
I run 88gr of H4831SC or 88.4 N560 with my 250gr SMK
I run 88gr of H1000 or 93gr N570 with my 300gr Scenars
Lapua brass
Sully</div></div>

H1000 w/250gr SMK book says.....
89.3gr to 100.1gr

At 2950 fps were you load your 250 SMK w/H4830SC 88gr i would have to load theH1000 at 97.9 to match your velocity. [/

Please read my post again, I did not say anything about fps. I posted what my loads are for the gr bullets I use. I posted this info for reference only, don't read more into it. You need to work up loads for your rifle just because it's the same caliber by the same mfgr means zip.
Sully</div></div>
Gotcha....thanks Sully.

Had a pretty good day. I think im ok and the rifle is good. I made several changes and considering the wind we had i made improvements.
...............These are 300 yards shots..................
4500' elevation
30.3 BP
18% Humidity
8-11 mph NE winds
57 degrees

I will go back out when its calm and try several other loads.

2012-05-06122628.jpg

2012-05-06122513.jpg

2012-05-06122449.jpg

So am I understanding this incorrectly or did you finally ifngure it out and it looks like your shooting around .5MOA?

what did you change to see this HUGE improvement?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So am I understanding this incorrectly or did you finally ifngure it out and it looks like your shooting around .5MOA?

what did you change to see this HUGE improvement?</div></div>

brass change
bullet change
powder change
clean bore

and a better attitude
smile.gif

Big help from diego-ted !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something ain't right.....I've never had a barrel hold anything even close to that much copper. </div></div>

My new Winchester 70 in 338 is easily that bad after 25 rounds. It takes hours to clean and I can see bad pits in the barrel about an inch from the end.

I don't think you should be shy about boxing it up and sending it back to Savage if it's not right. Don't say anything about handloads. Just explain the problem. It's way faster than trying to fix things that can't be fixed on the reloading bench.

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet, but certain cartridges can shoot lights out at 100 yards but you print them at 300 or 400 yards and the groups open up considerably. It can take a bit for a cartridge to "get its running legs" to speak, and settle down into a nice tight, stabilized spiral. Try pushing out a little farther and see if your groups dont shrink up again