• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bringing Back the Fun

Beamer Girl

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2004
Texas
www.riflesonly.com
This past Saturday we put on a little event called "Bringing Back the fun". It was a small event and we had 30+ shooters that attended. Entry fee was $20 and it was a winner takes all. We did not get sponsors as this was just going to be a fun day. Weibad, inc was here and they did donate a $50 certificate to the winner which was awesome of them. We also had a little fun as people placed bids on who they thought would win the competition. The person who guessed correctly would win that money. We also did a side event at the end of the day where we shot the tail off the donkey (similiar to pin the tail on the donkey....but not :)). To participate in this event shooters were required to pay $90 and the money collected was going to go to "Homes for our Troops"! Everyone particpated! Rifles Only decided that we would match all the money collected for this event to donate to this great cause. Josh Pipes was the winner of the day and he generously donated his winnings to the cause as well. The winner of the bidding was Charles Stewart and he too did not take a dime but also donated the cash! This is why we did this event as it was a "get together" of people who love to shoot and were out to have fun. We donated $6,160 to Homes for our troops thanks to everyone that attended. We want to say thanks to all of those who came and donated. There is no doubt that we will do more of these events in 2013!!! It was a great break from routine and there is no doubt that the money is going to help our true heros! Thank you!!!

Re: Bringing Back the Fun

That's cool! Hat's off to your org.
Miles

We did it here at Rifles Only. My apologies that I did not state that...lol! We plan on doing more of these events next year. It is a very relaxed way of bringing in new shooters and supporting a great cause. If you go to Rifles Only facebook page you will see some of the photos as most of the competitors wore halloween costums to add to the fun. We also had 4 WARRIORS here that never quit...even did the mouse trap that we have here. An inspiration to all!

Sorry Shawn!!! We did this first one as invitational as we wanted to test some things! But as well as it went, we are thinking about opening it up next time. We will post here as well as our Facebook to keep everyone posted. Have a great weekend!!

Most excellent! It seems that folks are so hung up on prize tables these days, it's nice to see events like this that place the emphasis on shooting a match for fun and the pride of winning. Great to see a nice sum was raised for a good cause in the process.

A few years back, We changed our big carbine match from prize table to trophy only with profit going to charity. Guess what? It still fills up in less than a week, three years running Why? It's a fun match that people enjoy shooting.

Nice job! Thanks for posting!

Great idea and sorry I couldn't make it Lisa. Wish I could have as we were stuck for 4 extra days out of the country as we couldn't fly home with the hurricane.

This sport sure has really changed over the past couple years for reasons I won't get into here and the fun has been slowly draining from it. Guys that have only been doing it for a few years don't know what they are missing. Used to be alot more fun. Glad you guys are trying to bring that back in. I will do my best to make the next one.

Beamer Girl,
Honestly I'm somewhat disapointed at the limited response your thread has gotten. I'm kinda sure you are too.

I really hope it is not materialistic in nature, no prize table, no published leaderboard-winners circle.

What you people did was GOOD, and you deserve more kudo's.
I hope your decision to do more of these in the future is not based on the amount of response you recieved here.

Anyway,
Good job, I'm sure there are people who appreciate it.