• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bringing this Leupold MK4 question up again.

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I have talked to 3 different people at leupold about this..According to them the only difference in the vx-3 and the MK4 is the MK4 has alittle thicker housing and a more durable coating on the Lenses. That being said I am hung between just buying a VX3 6-20x50 and having it sent in for M1 knobs or getting the MK4. Price wise there is about $225 diffence. That is not alot but that would allow me enough to get the VX3 4-14x50 I want to put on my hunting rifle also..What would you guys do..I've been worried/thinking about this for going on 2 weeks now..I can't make up my mind..Another think I'm considering is resale value if I ever decide to go a different route..

Re: Bringing this Leupold MK4 question up again.

Not sure who you talked too. I have talked to three different techs at Leupold and two extremely large Leupold retailers. All have said there is no difference what so ever. Only difference is the turrets and the name. This is the first time I have heard anyone say anything about better coating, or thicker tube. Granted we are talking about the new VX3---not the old VXIII. It is called marketing!! Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only the 10x's have thicker walls. </div></div>

That may have been what they were referring to..

There are several differences readily apparent, I have a MK4 and a converted one sitting in front of me right now.

The MK4 has a different tube, the blocky housing under the turrets is larger and has L & R arrows engraved.

The power change knob is different.

The eyepiece is different.

The Side focus knob is different.

Lots of stuff.

You can even see the differences on the Leupy site in the pics.

I've been told the erector spring is stronger.

MK4 has the good reticle's also, are you taking that into account?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are several differences readily apparent, I have a MK4 and a converted one sitting in front of me right now.

The MK4 has a different tube, the blocky housing under the turrets is larger and has L & R arrows engraved.

The power change knob is different.

The eyepiece is different.

The Side focus knob is different.

Lots of stuff.

You can even see the differences on the Leupy site in the pics.

I've been told the erector spring is stronger.

MK4 has the good reticle's also, are you taking that into account? </div></div>

Sorry I should have explained better..Leupold told me there was no difference in the tracking system(erector spring)and not enough in the glass to worry about..They said basically buy a VX# and put M1's on it and you pretty much have a MK4. I was refering more to the internal working, than the cosmetics..

When I talked to a tech rep, he told me that the internals were a bit thicker and stronger. This is why the Mark 4s dont have as many adjustment MOAs as the V3 LR. I dont know for sure, but thatis what Leupold told me.

I have had both converted and a mark 4, honestly i couldn't tell the difference in performance if their was any. they both seemed to have about the same resale value percentage wise. if you really want the vx III to look like a mark 4 they will even add a black ring instead of gold its like $10. just get the vx 3 it will work just fine, unless you care more about the name than the optical qualities.