• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brisket help?

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys, I've been smoking for a while now and have a nice gas smoker but my briskets tend to suck, at least when compared to a restaurants.

I use awesomely marbled butcher cold packs which is what everything I've read says I should use. I pop it open and place is in a restaurant pan and let it soak in my sauce for around 4 days, flipping it every day and letting it wet age. Then I give it a dry rub and score the fat in 1" squares and place it fat side up in the smoker. I use everything from apple, hickory to mesquite. I make sure it has enough water (and I add the drippings from the pan to the water bowl) Anyway after about 6 hours or so, depending on the size, I pull it and let it rest, it always has a great deep smoke ring but the texture isn't as tender as the restaurants (I slice it thin against the grain). So my question is what am I doing wrong?

Re: Brisket help?

Six hours is not long enough for a brisket to get tender. I always let mine go 9 to 11 hours depending on thickness. Low temp and long slow cooking is the only way. You can test for donenes by sticking a fork in it and when the fork goes in and slides back out easily it's done. Using a gas smoker you should be able to regulate temp fairly well and keep it around 200 to 220 degrees. Use the water pan in the bottom and be sure to keep it full. Ditch the roasting pan and just put the brisket on the rack and let the drippings fall into the water pan. My wife was born and raised in Texas and missed the brisket so I had to learn how to make a good brisket. I did a lot of research online and several attempts before I met a guy locally from Texas and he taught me a few secrets. I now get nothing but compliments on my brisket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The secret seemed to be with steaming the brisket after smoking. </div></div>

Now that's something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks Tuck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Six hours is not long enough for a brisket to get tender. I always let mine go 9 to 11 hours depending on thickness. Low temp and long slow cooking is the only way. You can test for donenes by sticking a fork in it and when the fork goes in and slides back out easily it's done. Using a gas smoker you should be able to regulate temp fairly well and keep it around 200 to 220 degrees. Use the water pan in the bottom and be sure to keep it full. Ditch the roasting pan and just put the brisket on the rack and let the drippings fall into the water pan. My wife was born and raised in Texas and missed the brisket so I had to learn how to make a good brisket. I did a lot of research online and several attempts before I met a guy locally from Texas and he taught me a few secrets. I now get nothing but compliments on my brisket. </div></div>

Opps that sounds like my problem exactly, Looks like I'm not letting it go long enough. Thanks jc.

I just use a dry rub of 2 parts salt, 1 part pepper, 1 part red pepper, I smoke the brisket for about 5 hours fat side up with hickory, then I rap the hunk of meat in foil, put it on a broiling pan again fat side up in the oven at 225ish and go to bed, the next morning I have brisket, I know other people who bake then smoke, but my way is easy and works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The secret seemed to be with steaming the brisket after smoking. </div></div>

Now that's something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks Tuck! </div></div>

Wrap seal it in aluminum foil for the last 2 hours them open the foil on top and let rest for another 30 minutes on low heat. The wrapped in foil steams it but only with the flavor of your meat/rub vapors.

The steaming part works if it appears that it's going to be dry but you need to be careful when steaming it. Shankster has the right idea in only doing it the last two hours in foil. If you let it go too long the meat will end up falling apart and you will not be able to get good slices. If you are going to pull the meat then steaming is great but for slices you want it to hold together. I did leave out that when it's done I place it on a sheet pan and cover it with foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes.

Sorry, I'm no Texan and I don't smoke my briskets; I use indirect heat.

All that is to preface the following: It won't get tender until the internal temperature hits 180 degrees. That's what is necessary for the muscle fibers to breakdown. So you'll need a meat thermometer.

When it hits 180 I wrap it in foil and let it finish for an hour or so. I like it shredded so it has to go to 190 before I wrap it. The mop sauce as well as the drip pan provides ample moisture and mine have been spectacular for the last couple years.

This has been very helpful to me.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Another tip comes from Julia Child (not a Hide member). Cook it long and slow...the closer the cooking temperature to the final temperature you want it to finish at, the more tender it will be. Just like most of the responses indicate.

I just smoked a 6.5lb brisket last weekend and it turned out fantastic. I opened the package on friday, rinsed it well, patted it dry, scored the fat as you did and applied a healthy coating of dry rub. Then wrapped in plastic wrap and back in the fridge for the night.

0800 Saturday morning I fired up the smoker and in went the brisket (along with a 10lb pork shoulder and two whole chickens) at 0830 once the temp had stabilized. I maintained a temp of between 210-220 and smoked it fat side up for 6 hours. I then flipped it and smoked fat side down for two hours then flipped it again. I continued smoking fat side up until it reached an internal temp of 190*. (I sprayed throughout the day with apple juice and the water pan in the smoker kept things nice and moist in there). Once it hit 190* internal I pulled it, wrapped it tightly in foil, wrapped that in a towel and placed it into a cooler for the remainder of the night so the juices could redistribute. It spent 12 hours in the smoker and a good 8 hours in the cooler. When I got up in the morning and took it out for slicing it was still warm but lost very little juice when I sliced it. It was the best I've done yet.

Sounds like you need to let it go a bit longer. I smoke directly on the rack, not in a pan and didn't have any issues with it drying out. Just baste it or spray it regularly and keep it moist in the smoker. Letting it rest after smoking helps keep those juices in the meat. I also had the pork above the brisket in the smoker so the ample juices from the pork probably helped keep the brisket moist as well.

A good brisket is hard to make, but worth the trouble. I smoked an 11 lb brisket two weeks ago, and it turned out great. I put the brisket on at 3:00 a.m., and pulled it at 5:30 p.m. Foil is called the Texas crutch for a reason...it's completely unnecessary if you are doing things correctly. As a matter of fact, it turns the meat mushy. Here ya go:

1) Get a packer's cut brisket
2) keep the smoker at or around 250 degrees
3) For each "peek-a-boo" that you do when you open the lid, add 15 minutes to the cooking time. The general rule of thumb, then, is an hour and a half per pound of meat
4) cook fat side up...always
5) the flat needs to be away from the fire
6) Your brisket will eventually plateau at 160-165 degrees for anywhere from an hour to several hours. No way around it. That's the fat and collagen breaking down...it's good.
7) Don't oversmoke it with too much wood.
8) pull at an internal temperature of 190-200

Good luck.

I am not the grill maven that Switchblade is, but I took some of his notes and have had some good success.

You definitely need more time on the cooking. I have a hard time keeping my grill at 200*, so after about six hours of smoking, I wrap it in foil; put in a big dutch oven and put it in the oven at 250* and leave it until the internal temp is 210*. Some folks get the temperature around 170-190, but at 210*, it is fork tender and memorable.

The above comments are all great ones. The one thing I have to add is determining how much you like "bark". I had been wrapping mine in aluminum foil at the end, but they made the bark slightly soggy. I like the outside to be nice and crisp. I no longer place my brisket in foil. It still stays moist and is very tender.

Don't use too much rub on a brisket, or too many spices for that matter, because you don't want to take away the flavor of the meat. I like it nice and simple. Some garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sometimes throw a little rosemary and garlic on there if I am really feeling froggy.

Best of luck,
Josh

RJW and Switchblade both have great recipes that have worked flawlessly for me. give either of them a IM. I'm sure they'll help you out.

Thanks guys, I've got a 12 pounder in the fridge marinating and it'll hit the smoker around in just a few hours (3am).

Thanks for all the tips and tricks. I'll take pics and report back.

Longer smoking time, as suggested.

To keep it from drying out, put it in a plastic turkey bag after about 6 hours, if it's a full brisket. Sooner if a smaller cut.

You don't need anymore smoking wood after that, and its already got all the smoke flavor it needs.

Pokin a thermometer thru the bag won't hurt, but when you can grab pieces of it with tongs and it breaks off, it's done.

yep, you just need to cook it longer. I plan on 1.5 hrs per pound, but you shouldn't cook by time. Cook at 225 degrees until the brisket hits 165 internal. Then wrap with foil and continue to cook until it is fork tender. Brisket, unlike pork and chicken, is a sponge when it comes to smoke. Use something mild like apple, pecan, etc to keep the smoke from over powering the flavor. Happy smoking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good brisket is hard to make, but worth the trouble. I smoked an 11 lb brisket two weeks ago, and it turned out great. I put the brisket on at 3:00 a.m., and pulled it at 5:30 p.m. Foil is called the Texas crutch for a reason...it's completely unnecessary if you are doing things correctly. As a matter of fact, it turns the meat mushy. Here ya go:

1) Get a packer's cut brisket
2) keep the smoker at or around 250 degrees
3) For each "peek-a-boo" that you do when you open the lid, add 15 minutes to the cooking time. The general rule of thumb, then, is an hour and a half per pound of meat
4) cook fat side up...always
5) the flat needs to be away from the fire
6) Your brisket will eventually plateau at 160-165 degrees for anywhere from an hour to several hours. No way around it. That's the fat and collagen breaking down...it's good.
7) Don't oversmoke it with too much wood.
8) pull at an internal temperature of 190-200

Good luck. </div></div>

I've been smoking briskets a long time and that is it in a nutshell. Good luck!

Brisket Process
-----------

Note: I use this process as a guide, but it always varies from smoke
to smoke. For instance, I rarely marinade the brisket (Stage 1),
because I usually don't have enough time.

Start with 1 whole (attached flat and point) untrimmed ("Packers
Cut") large (9-14 lbs.) beef brisket. Trimmed brisket will cook at
different rate, adjust accordingly.

STAGE 1:
Mix the following as marinade:

3 cups of red wine
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
1 tablespoon black pepper

Place brisket in a non-reactive pan, and pour marinade over meat.
Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours. (If meat isn't totally submerged
in marinade, either make more, or flip brisket half way through.)

STAGE 2:
Remove brisket from refrigerator and marinade, dry with paper towels
and let air dry in fridge. (2 hours)

Mix the following as a rub stage:
1/3 cup paprika
4 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

Using a basting brush, coat the entire brisket with yellow mustard,
and heavily dust with the rub.

Start 6-8 lbs of good lump charcoal in the firebox.
Add about 6-8 pieces of Mesquite wood, about the size of small
baseballs, with all bark removed. Allow wood to fully catch fire, and
add your meat (as far from heat as possible.)

Place brisket on rack WITH FAT SIDE DOWN. (Up or down is one of the
most debated brisket issues - I like fat side down, because it helps
protect the meat from heat fluctuations.)

Close the lid. You want to VERY SLOWLY (as time/health department
will allow) bring the temperature to 210 F, but try to keep open the
top vent fully at that point, and leave fully open for the rest of
the cooking procedure. (You want good airflow to reduce creosote
buildup on cold meat.) The longer you can keep the meat under 140
internal temp, the bigger your smoke ring.

Cook at 210 F for 1 to 1.5 hours per pound, strictly regulating the
temperature. Keep lid on at all times, and do not exceed 220 F.

If you have room on your smoker, set a small metal restaurant pan
with water in it between the brisket and your fire box. The water
will help stabilize the ambient heat in the smoker and it will add a
little extra moisture in the air. You could also fill the pan with
sand.

STAGE 3:
Mix the following as a liquid stage:

2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup grape juice
1/2 cup of beef broth or beef stock

Place liquid stage in a spray bottle, and baste brisket every 2 hours
during cooking time.

Be sure to check water pan every few hours, and add hot water as
needed (if you are using one).

STAGE 4:
Remove brisket from smoker, and place on two (doubled) large pieces
of aluminum foil, with the edges turned up. Add remaining liquid
stage to brisket, and wrap tightly.

Return to smoker, and cook for 4 hours (at same temperature,
210-220*F.)

STAGE 5:
Remove brisket from smoker, and remove from foil.

Return to top rack of smoker, and cook for 2 more hours.

STAGE 6:
Remove from smoker when it is fork tender and the internal
temperature is between 190*F and 195*F, wrap in foil, and then wrap
in kitchen towels and let stand for at least 2 hours before serving.
The leaner your brisket the lower the temp it will become fork
tender, but you should always bring it up to at least 185*F before
pulling it off the smoker for good.

Slice against the grain (THE MOST IMPORTANT THING) and serve stacked
high on buns, or pulled with your favorite sauce. Goes good with
baked beans, and cole slaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Six hours is not long enough for a brisket to get tender. I always let mine go 9 to 11 hours depending on thickness. Low temp and long slow cooking is the only way. You can test for donenes by sticking a fork in it and when the fork goes in and slides back out easily it's done. Using a gas smoker you should be able to regulate temp fairly well and keep it around 200 to 220 degrees. Use the water pan in the bottom and be sure to keep it full. Ditch the roasting pan and just put the brisket on the rack and let the drippings fall into the water pan. My wife was born and raised in Texas and missed the brisket so I had to learn how to make a good brisket. I did a lot of research online and several attempts before I met a guy locally from Texas and he taught me a few secrets. I now get nothing but compliments on my brisket. </div></div>

+1! Long cooking at low temp is best. I use 225 degrees for about 12 hours in my Primo's XL smoker. The fat has to break down to give you the tenderness. I also trim up the fat on the brisket, and wrap it in foil for the last 4-5 hours. This helps hold in the moisture. But you don't have to wrap it.

the trick to cooking brisket?....leave it alone...season it, throw it on.....and dont look at it for a long time....

bench

Cuttin against the grain is important, as mentioned.

Trick to rememberin where the grain is.

Make a light slice across the grain, but deep enough to see, prior to putting it in the smoker.

When it comes out, slice in line with the mark.

See some sound advice here.
I don't marinate. I use dry rub and let it sit on a rack, wrapped for three to five days first. I take it out of the fridge and let it temper before placing it in the smoker too. Room temperature start lets it start cooking faster.
Use apple, cherry, maple, alder, oak, pecan, in 75% of your smoking wood, and either mesquite or hickory(I use hickory) at 25%. If I use mesquite I add more of the sweeter woods and only 15% mesquite. It makes a lighter better tasting smoke.
Cook time is irrelevent as it is gonna take all day, so start early around 0600 - 0700. 200F - 250F is all ya need.
Give it about 4 hours of solid smoke and mop every hour. At four hours, wrap it in foil, add some mop juice, and let it sit in the smoker for another 4 to 6 hours OR an internal temperature of 190F. Then it's done. 190F is a funny temperature. Bread is done, meat that is smoked is done, cake is done.
There are recipes in the other thread for all kinds of stuff from many of the guys here who know what they are doing.
You sound like you have the right ideas but need a litle fine tuning

CHeck this thread...had to hunt for it

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1867067#Post1867067

Dry rub at least a day before. Including under the fat pad. Either score the pad or fillet it back to season underneath.
Sit out till room temp.
Make sure the smoker is up to temp before putting the meat on. Cold smoke is no good.
225F all day.
Sometimes I'll use foil, sometimes I won't. If I get tired of feeding the smoker, I'll put it in a pan, tent it with foil and do the last few hours in the oven.
I dont get overly fancy with the wood. Just oak. Maybe a few mesquite chips if I've got them.
I like it with a dark heavy bark. Straight on the smoker with no foil achives this. It'll scare the un-initiated since it almost looks burned. It's good without being dripping wet inside.
For those that prefer a moister brisket, less dark externally, apply the foil.
CW

I had trouble smoking both large briskets and shoulders. Like suggested I was not cooking them long enough. I finally tried cooking them for approximately 10 hours in the smoker then wrapped them in foil (so the steam would not escape) and cooked them in the oven overnight at 220 F. They briskets finally came out tender and I was able to pull the shoulders.

I am guessing part of my problem is my smoker runs around 200 to 210 F and the cook time is longer at those temps.

As with any cut, age it in your fridge for at least a week before cooking, and then take it easy on any hi-acidity marinades.

WHen it starts to get a little green, it's perfect and ready to rub