• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broke my first Remington bolt

Re: Broke my first Remington bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad you're back up and running; it sounds like you made a nice repair. I'd also be interested in seeing some detailed pictures of how it turned out. Thanks!

</div></div>

I second this... Some step by step photos would be cool.

Why not tig?? why only silver solder? and what exactly is silver soldering?? I know how to solder copper pipe using 95/5, flux, and acetylene... Im sure silver soldering is different, but how much different </div></div>sorry but the history of the rem700 speaks for its self -cheap hunting rifle..silver solder is NOT used but silver braze is its higher melting temp nearly double of silver solder....why have something thats needs so much fixing because it can work in the real world???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you silver solder them they will break for sure...then you have that to get rid of before you do it right and tig weld it. </div></div>

Not necessarily, I've seen both broken on here, soldered ones where they're done perfectly won't break, but not every one can be done perfectly, hence the breakages. Best solution is both, TIG the backside of the bolt and fill the remainder of the joint with Silver Solder/Silver Braze.

-matt

Whoa, I would reconsider putting solder on a joint that is tig welded. It you ever want to tig weld again you must cut and grind the silver off or no tig welding is possible. Think of it as the ultimate joint contamination. One or the other. Never both.

I understand that as conventional wisdom, but to fully attach the handle in the strongest way possible, this joint needs to use both, TIG first, braze second, because the front side of the handle cannot be welded to the bolt body. Removing the solder will be on the list either way, since we're talking about welding a joint that was originally soldered/brazed. It's not ideal, but it's the nature of the beast to get the most possible strength out of this joint, and done in the way that C. Dixon does it, quite manageable.

-matt

I respect Chads knowledge but disagree on attaching handles. I read his post further and he only adds the solder because he doesn't believe his tig welding skill is perfected. (it looked fine to me) I have complete confidence in tig welding 3 sides so much that the handle will break in half before it separates or rip a hole in the bolt body. On a virgin PTG bolt not having previously soldered makes it considerably easier. Tig also puts a lot less heat into the joint. Heating it with a torch turns the whole end of the bolt blue indicating it has changed it's hardness. Tig still does it but to a much smaller area. Whenever an action is trued the bolt handle should be reset. Having solder in there is a pain in the ass.