• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broken 10-32 tap.

sormi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Austin Tx.
Anyone out there have a good way of taking out a broken 10-32 tap. Or does anyone have an EDM, I could pay you to remove one?

Thanks..

Re: Broken 10-32 tap.

Might be able to take a small punch and tap it out, unscrew it. Just tap, don't hit. Should come out.

Have any tap extractors they will make your life easier? They also make a acid that will eat the taps out which is really nice. It only eats really hard metals.

There is also a special carbide drill that is used to take out broken taps. They dont look like a drill more like a piece of carbide that has four flat sides on it and a weirdly shaped tip. Wish i could remember what their called but it escapes me right now. I think someone will know what they are called or i will look them up and give you a name.

Still might be able to tap it out. Just get it as flat as possible on the broken tap close to the threads, tap a few times and move to the other side. It has worked for me quite a few times. Also if you have the time and don't mind ruining a flat head, you might be able to dremel a flat head to fit in between the open area of the tap, but its a pain in the but.

I tried a dremel with a diamond bit. No good at all. It just made a little hold. You might be able to see it in the photo.

If hardness isn't a concern, heat the block up in an oven to 350-400 deg or so. Drip some water on the tap and this will loosen it up a bunch to allow a small pick to screw it out.

The block will stay hot (expanded) a lot longer than the tap and should give you some working room to screw it out.

I have even seen the water shatter the tap when it hits it, allowing you to pick out the pieces.

If you can't heat it up, I would get a small punch and smack the tap at an angle a few times, it will shatter and you can pick out the pieces.

Get some good tapping oil and keep your hole clean and free of chips! Take your time and MAKE SURE your tap is aligned perfectly with the hole while starting.

Start your tap IN the drill press chuck (after drilling the tap size hole) by hand if possible.

First question I have is how many flutes were on the tap? The drill that has been mentioned is a monarch or master drill, used for drilling hard material. If you have something that you can get a lot of spped out of the drill is your best bet. If it is a 2 fluted tap get an extractor, made by Wilton I believe, let the hole soak with Krol or another very good penitrating oil first. The proper drill size for this application is a 9/64 which will allow the edges of the tap to break away as you go into the tap, be gentle and you should not have any problem, drill a little the blow out the hole and repeat, don't leave any little pieces of the tap in the drilled hole as it will chip the drill. Hope this helps out. If you need any further assistance PM me.

It has 4 flutes. I wonder if I could heat it up with a Bernzomatic torch and drip ice water on it??

I had it case hardned... Maybe that's why the tap broke. Also that's why I want it out..

Use your Dremel tool and a "cut off tool" to cut a screwdriver slot in it. You might also try a very slender pair of needle nose pliers to back it out.

When you try to remove it, do it gently and in a rocking motion. Don't try to move it all at once unless it's totally free moving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duaneb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send it to me, I'll get it out.</div></div>

If that doesn't work out for you, you can send it to me and I'll get it out. We have a special tool designed to eat broken taps out.

Mill it out with a small end mill.

Had a 6x40 scope base plug twist its slot-head off and get stuck in a receiver this week. Have a snap-on tap set. No 6x40, but has 6x36. Used a couple number-sized bits smaller than the recommended size for tapping and a cordless drill and got the plug removed. 10x32 should be a cakewalk...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mill it out with a small end mill.

10x32 should be a cakewalk... </div></div>

Really, you must think they make taps out of mild steel or something.

7721560-11.jpg

This is what we use in our shop. Works great if you take your time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
7721560-11.jpg

This is what we use in our shop. Works great if you take your time. </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was talking about in my first post! Thanks!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mill it out with a small end mill.

Had a 6x40 scope base plug twist its slot-head off and get stuck in a receiver this week. Have a snap-on tap set. No 6x40, but has 6x36. Used a couple number-sized bits smaller than the recommended size for tapping and a cordless drill and got the plug removed. 10x32 should be a cakewalk... </div></div>

This works well. Use a carbide 4 flute end mill slightly smaller than the minor diameter, run it FAST and dry. Use the knee of your mill to feed slowly.

This is SOP.

Hope this helps,

Trilogymac

Just got mu gun back from the smith. I was tying to resize the scope mount holes to #8's and broke it off. Had him get it out and retap the holed for me... Good to go..

I am a tool maker send it to me i can get it out i promise and if you want i can finish tapping your hole.