• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

broken bolt handle

adm845

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
Buffalo, NY
so, while chambering, i had a round jam in my 700. One thing led to another and after some abuse my bolt handle broke off my bolt. Whatever you may think of my methods, my primary concern was removing the live round from my rifle at the range while i could still point the muzzle safely down range.

I messaged keith at AZprecision and he said i should have it tig welded back onto the bolt. He cant do the work, but im betting someone on here has had the same problem and knows who could. The rifle is completely customized and has a lot of money into it, so i dont want to take or send it just anywhere. Anyone have any recommendations as to who could do the job and do it well? Thanks!

Re: broken bolt handle

Just curious, how did you get the live round out of the chamber? Or is it still in there?

I have the same problem and DANS40X here on the hide is going to do it for me when I get it shipped. It not too bad on the price, a lot less than I was expecting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem and DANS40X here on the hide is going to do it for me when I get it shipped. It not too bad on the price, a lot less than I was expecting. </div></div>

Interesting, because I havent seen him here on the hide lately. I wonder why.......

You may want to send your money to someone who doesnt think all hide members are "erragant wantabes" or however he spelled it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem and DANS40X here on the hide is going to do it for me when I get it shipped. It not too bad on the price, a lot less than I was expecting. </div></div>

Dan does a HELLUVA job for a great price. His work in this regard is second to none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem and DANS40X here on the hide is going to do it for me when I get it shipped. It not too bad on the price, a lot less than I was expecting. </div></div>

Dan does a HELLUVA job for a great price. His work in this regard is second to none. </div></div>

If only the same could be said for his shitty "better than thou" attitude.

I had my Stiller/Kiff bolt start to separate from the body before. I had them fix it. I since then I had C.Dixon weld it up since all Stiller did was silver solder it back on. So far so good. If I ever get another aftermarket action, it will for sure have a 1 piece bolt or have one that is at least welded together.

Bacarrat, one word, Surgeon!
laugh.gif

I remember reading about DANS40X but don't remember details. I had a thread about 3 days ago because I did the same thing. Other than discussing my reloading technique some people said TIG it back on and Dan was the only person to be suggested to do it. I figure I will get an opinion about him after dealing with him first hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adm845</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, while chambering, i had a round jam in my 700. One thing led to another and after some abuse my bolt handle broke off my bolt. Whatever you may think of my methods, my primary concern was removing the live round from my rifle at the range while i could still point the muzzle safely down range.

I messaged keith at AZprecision and he said i should have it tig welded back onto the bolt. He cant do the work, but im betting someone on here has had the same problem and knows who could. The rifle is completely customized and has a lot of money into it, so i dont want to take or send it just anywhere. Anyone have any recommendations as to who could do the job and do it well? Thanks!

</div></div>

ask boltripper, he should know...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bacarrat, one word, Surgeon!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Out of all the ones I have handled, Big Horn. But I think my next rifle will be of a factory fodder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figure I will get an opinion about him after dealing with him first hand. </div></div>

Now that's thinking like an adult!!
smile.gif

Nate is swamped with work so I doubt that he could help you out in any short amount of time anyway. He would be the only one that I would personally trust to do any welding on a bolt of mine though. His work is the bomb and he is also a super human being as well.

hate to revive an old post, but its mine so i figured it would be allright. Just recieved my bolt back from DANS40X today. He did one hell of a job! Bolt looks great, cycles flawlessly, and feels stronger than ever. Turnaround time was great too, 1 day - who can ask for more. DANS40X is the man when it comes to tig welding, deal with confidence!

That's good to hear. How did you manage to get the live round out of the chamber before shipping the rifle?

I used a cloth and some vice grips. Wrapped the cloth around the back of the bolt shroud so I could get my vice grips around it without damaging it too much. Once I got a good lock on it with the vice grips it turned into a replacement bolt handle and gave me enough leverage to extract the round. Pry couldhave just kept using that and never got the real handle fixed. It did scratch up my bolt shroud a bit, but not enough that I'm going to worry about it. I'll pry hit it with some black duracoat next time I get the airgun out but Im in no rush.

Did you rotate the bolt shroud or the body of the bolt where the handle broke off? You shouldn't be able to rotate the shroud until it's clear of the action.

Sorry Badshot, should have been more specific. The bolt had already been rotated to allow it to move horizontally, i broke the handle trying to move the bolt to the rear, not rotate it. So, once the vice grips were on, it gave me the leverage i needed to pull the bolt to the rear, not rotate it. If I hadn't already rotated the bolt, I dont know what I would have done, pry would have had to take it to a gunsmith.

Gotta give a +1 to Dan also, Work is second to none and don't really care about much more than that. I think Nate prolly does a helluva job but I cannot get past the website.

Nate will need your entire action

Dan will need your bolt only and some measurements

Nates method is prolly better but not sure I think one of the other smiths here would post a reason why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nates method is prolly better but not sure I think one of the other smiths here would post a reason why. </div></div>

Because you need to be damn sure of the placement of the bolt handle or you will screw up the timing and extraction of the bolt. This is best done with the action in hand. Seen more then one bolt come back that wouldn't fit, close, or have screwed up timing.

When I PMd Dan about the work, he asked me all about the bolt and action. Seemed like he was seeing which exact model I had, and what configuration it was. When I sent him the info he said he could do it with just the bolt. If the action had a step next to the extraction cam he said it would need to be blended. Must be some can be done with just the bolt and some require the action as well. Either way, it looks great and functions flawlesdly.

I wonder why the remmington comes up in every which bolt action rifle is the best thread?

This defect is unsafe and down right unacceptable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the remmington comes up in every which bolt action rifle is the best thread?

This defect is unsafe and down right unacceptable </div></div>

which defect are you referring to? the one where people use improper loading techniques causing cases to be stuck in the chamber requiring the bolt handle to be hit with a blunt object in an attempt to open it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the remmington comes up in every which bolt action rifle is the best thread?

This defect is unsafe and down right unacceptable </div></div>

which defect are you referring to? the one where people use improper loading techniques causing cases to be stuck in the chamber requiring the bolt handle to be hit with a blunt object in an attempt to open it? </div></div>

+1, this wasn't caused by anything wrong with the rifle, this was my fault 100%. I now full length resize all my brass. No more collet dies for me and hopefully no more hammering on my bolt with my staple gun
blush.gif