• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broughton barrels

bdw0469

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
NY
Is there a reason Broughton barrels are not mentioned very often?

Re: Broughton barrels

Every Broughton barrel I've been around has been a very solid shooter.

However, I am an admitted cut rifled fan over button rifled barrel.

I had a 260 barreled with a 26" Broughton 8 twist 5c that was a shooter. I sold it to a fellow hide member and now have a Bartlein and I have not noticed any accuracy differences but I have noticed the Bartlein cleans much easier.

if your bartlein cleans "much easier" than your broughton there was something else going on. they are are lapped to a similiar interior finish and they should all clean quite easily. this applies to all i have used: shilen, broughton, krieger, pac-nor, hart, lilja, and benchmark. havnt got around to using a bartlein or brux yet but will.

chuck

Broughton is my barrel of choice. Very accurate, clean extremely easy, machine incredibly well and have the best exterior finish I have seen from any barrel manufacture. I'm not scared of button rifling.

Not only are they great barrels, but you don't have to wait 6 months for one if you have to order it straight from them. Yes, I have also used them, and have always had great results from them. Same goes for the Shilen select match grade barrels, just in case you wanted to know.

My 6.5x47 with a Broughton barrel is the most accurate rifle I own.
Also have Bartlein, Kreiger, Brux, Shilen Select and Lilja I shoot regurlarly.

"Broughton is my barrel of choice. Very accurate, clean extremely easy, machine incredibly well and have the best exterior finish I have seen from any barrel manufacture. I'm not scared of button rifling."

It couldn't have been said better. Tim's barrels are the right stuff.
Wayne

My .300 Win Mag will shoot .175 groups. It is a custom built rifle but the Broughton 1-10 heavy barrel is as accurate as any tactical rifle needs to be. It also cleans very easy.

Definitely top shelf barrels. Wait time is very good and more importantly, consistent. Run a little faster, clean easy, incredibly accurate...whats not to like.

+1 on the above comments. I have a 26" Broughton as does two of my friends. All shoot very good and clean real easy which is not very often as the accuracy is great out of them. Shoots alot better than I am capable of. I've noticed as 7mmAM says it seems to shoot a little faster than some other barrels.

Nothing wrong with broughtons, hold quite a few records, and last september shot a new 10 shot 1000 yard group, I believe 2.86-something or another.

Got one on a APA .243 that is stupid accurate with several loads. Bought it used so it wasn't my choice since I always go Krieger but no regrets on that gun.

My 2, 6mm Broughton barrels have been very good. Easy to clean and accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beef_Supreme is screwing a Broughton on my .308 right now. </div></div>

I think that is against the law in some states
wink.gif

Anyhow, My 7 WSM is a Broughton and I would do it all over again.

I have 4 Broughtons, 3 on 300 Normas and one a ultrag mag and another on order, they are great to deal with as well.

I have a broughton on my .308 and it shoots great. APA installed it and I know Jered really likes them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGER KING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 260 barreled with a 26" Broughton 8 twist 5c that was a shooter. I sold it to a fellow hide member and now have a Bartlein and I have not noticed any accuracy differences but I have noticed the Bartlein cleans much easier. </div></div>

I bought the 260 mentioned above and it shoots in the .1's, I love it.

I have a Broughton 5C on my 260 Rem APA build. It's a No. 7 contour 1:8 twist at 21.5". In 20 years of shooting numerous rifles it is by far the most accurate. The barrel cleans easy too.

Jason

Does anyone here stock them in spoter contour, 30 cal, with a 1 in 10 twist? If not, I will be calling Broughton tomorrow. Just didn't to wait months for it. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here stock them in spoter contour, 30 cal, with a 1 in 10 twist? If not, I will be calling Broughton tomorrow. Just didn't to wait months for it. Thanks. </div></div>

Was that a sporter contour?

Love them barrels! Were were just talking about them on another post, is it true they have longer barrel life? How is this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here stock them in spoter contour, 30 cal, with a 1 in 10 twist? If not, I will be calling Broughton tomorrow. Just didn't to wait months for it. Thanks. </div></div>

Was that a sporter contour? </div></div>

To be exact, it's a #4.1 mag sporter, but the #5 Lite Varmint sporter contour will work also. You can see the dimensions on Broughtons web page in their contours page. Anyone have one that will finish at 24 inches, with a 1 in 10 twist, I'll buy it now. Thanks

My 7.7 contour broughton is on a 6.5cm and its one hell of a shooter, no cleaning problems either. +1 for Tim's customer service as well. Not to often you call a company that you actually get to speak with the owner.

Sorry to hijack but has anyone spoken to tim north lately ? I have been trying to get ahold of him by phone, email, US postal mail, and fax. I have yet to get a response . He was very receptive to me a year ago and I purchased 3 barrels from him and they are very solid . I'm beginning to think I pissed him off some how. Any help is appreciated because I am in need of a 6 mm barrel and a 30 cal barrel.