• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Brown Bear ammo?

dauntless_powered

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2013
Groton, CT
Any one here ever use Brown Bear ammo? I have never heard of it, trying to find ammo to break in the new savage .308 I got and can not find ammo under a buck around except for this stuff at .70 a round for 145 gr fmj. Is it garbage? Thanks in advance

It's very low grade. For a break in though it should work but don't expect any great accuracy.

Where do you shoot in Groton?

Look at Sprague Rod and Gun as well as Ledyard that I gave info about over in the other thread.

Prvi is a little step up from Brown Bear.

At one time it had steel case or steal core bullets IIRC.
A few years ago, there was some guy on the site that PM ed on most items for sale wanting to trade BB ammo for everything listed for sale. It got to be humorous.

In 223 it sux right along with Silver Bear! Goes Pow! and thats about it.

My buddy is shooting the 175's from brown bear out of an AI Arctic Warfare and its superb. I know the rifle probably most to do with the outstanding accuracy but I'd compare it to hornady's 6.5 creedmor 140 amax manufactured ammo. He let me toy with it a while and out of 6 shots at 110 yards there was 1 ragged hole. I'm actually thinking about trying some out when my next rig is finished. He said they claim 2800 fps. Any validity to this ??

Five rounds of Tula 308 thru my 700 5R during break in. The flyer was the cold bore shot.

It is hard to believe, but sometime even a blind pig finds an acorn.

Some of this stuff isn't terrible (damning with faint praise).

Attachments

• medium800.jpg
    medium800.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 10
I'd compare it to hornady's 6.5 creedmor 140 amax manufactured ammo.

You are joking right? There is no way Brown Bear is anywhere near the quality and constancy of the Creedmoor load. Your buddy might have gotten that good lot but to make a blanket statement like that is not only wrong but misleading. I have shot many lots of Creedmoor ammo since 2008 when it was introduced and they have all been atleast 1/2 MOA in my rifle and ES numbers in 20-30fps range max. Brown Bear Russian is ok plinking ammo but does not compare at all.

Don't know about the comparisons, but I did try Silver Bear out of my SPS in .308......it did the job:

You are joking right? There is no way Brown Bear is anywhere near the quality and constancy of the Creedmoor load. Your buddy might have gotten that good lot but to make a blanket statement like that is not only wrong but misleading. I have shot many lots of Creedmoor ammo since 2008 when it was introduced and they have all been atleast 1/2 MOA in my rifle and ES numbers in 20-30fps range max. Brown Bear Russian is ok plinking ammo but does not compare at all.

Rob, I'm a dumb ass. It was buffalo classic ammo or something similar to that name. My bad. Was very tired when I posted that. His ammo (AI) comes in a yellow box. I'm pretty sure it was buffalo