• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brown bess

tomcatmv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
Central Texas
Not a sniper but definitely old. If this should be posted elsewhere I apologize. bottom line is, I inherited a brown bess from a friend who passed and prior to his passing he told me that his father who was a WW2 vet used it every year in a revolutionary war re-enactment. He was from Boston area. At any rate, I know nothing about these. I don't know if it is an old piece or a reproduction. There are only a couple of stamps on the barrel. I don't know how to post pics but if I can figure that out will do so. I am just curious as to what I have and if it's worth anything. I will likely keep it in my collection anyhow as My friend Gary was like a brother to me.

My bet is a repro just because there aren't that many originals floating around AND there have been tonnes of repros made/imported since the 1970s BUT it would really be cool if it were original Only lots of good pics will tell. Many of the repros were "defarbbed" (repro marks removed, so that couls still present a problem. If it means anything the repros are selling for $900+

Reactions: animaldoc
Post pics... originals with any revolutionary war connection are really valuable. Reproductions are pretty easy to spot.

IMA has tons of them from Nepal, but most are on new stocks with original locks, etc. also easy to spot.

there are probably still hundreds of originals in closets and attics around eastern USA. And if they trace their history to us revolution or French Indian award whee they were used, they are very valuable. You have to both ensure the weapon is original, then trace the ownership back to bribe it. But almost any Brown Bess that can be traced in a family back to before ww2 was here in the 1700s.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Sirhr

All but guaranteed to be a repro... Probably either a Pedersoli, Navy Arms, or a Miroku unless he had one built.

Post pics.

sounds like either way it should be a fun time at a range with it after it's checked out . loads of luck if it is original . did you or your friend ever fire it?

Agree that it a repro.

Is the lock marked GRICE 1762 (or STOWE 1776)? If yes, it is a Pedersoli.

If TOWER marked and marked Made in Japan on the barrel, it is a Miroku... I have one and it is a great musket.
Could also be a Rifle Shoppe or Track of the Wolf repro...good stuff

Remote possibility it could be original... not likely though.

Most reenactment groups won’t let you use an Indian made Bess... there have been some burst barrels.