• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Brownell's 5-25x56 MPO is finally in stock!

@Shooter McGavin What brand and height are those rings? It's looking good! Oh, and how much total elevation are you getting and did you look at it next to the razor yet?

The rings are Leupold Mark 4 high rings. The base is a a NightForce 20 MOA base. I haven’t zeroed this yet was hoping to get to the range tomorrow, but life just got in the way of that. However, it should have about 26 mils of elevation. I have not compared it to my Razor. I mounted it, took the pic and put it in the safe. I hope to have sometime to work up some loads for this rifle tomorrow, so maybe then I can pull the Razor out.

@Shooter McGavin What brand and height are those rings? It's looking good! Oh, and how much total elevation are you getting and did you look at it next to the razor yet?

Okay, I got a chance to look at them side by side. First, the Razors glass is slightly better than the MPO. The Razors reticle at lower power almost is too thin, which is okay I never use the lowest power. The MPOs reticle looks good at lower power and I am guessing it's their design of the two lines instead of one and on the flip side the highest magnification it still looks good to me as the two line reticle has grown on me. The places were I think the MPO outshines the Razor Gen II is in weight and price. I really don't think you're giving much up as far as the glass goes and with the weight of the Razor Gen II at 48.5 oz compared to the MPO at 35.2 that the MPO is a better buy. Now with that said the Razor Gen II has been out there and is proven where as the MPO is just starting to get out there. Also, there's not much in the way of reviews for the MPO. I can't give you more than that as I have not gotten to the range with my MPO. I plan on bringing both the MPO and Razor to the range when I do get to the range.

Just received my MPO this morning. So far I'm liking it pretty well. First impressions are it is huge with the sun shade... Don't know if I will run that very much... And it feels like a tank. All clicks and controls feel very nice to me.
Negatives / things to note:
-There is some CA but not bad. I was seeing it more sitting in direct sunlight looking at the tops of trees. From the shade I'm not really seeing any
-I'm only getting like 19.5mils of adjustment (end to end, adjusting it so I am really bottoming out, not hitting the zero stop)
-Torwards the bottom of travel I'm getting some shadowing in the top right (could be normal?)

I have it sitting in some 3d printed test rings to help me determine what height rings I need to order (1.25" should be just about perfect but 1.125" would still clear easily). My stock is a super ghetto Magpul MOE I did a bunch of stuff to, so my head is just floating now which doesn't help testing.

Nothing in particular makes me dislike the MPO but it's not quite up to the standard I was expecting. That might be my fault for expecting too much but I've never had or even shot a scope in this class. I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep it or send it back and get the Optika6 5-30x56.

Last edited:
Just received my MPO this morning. So far I'm liking it pretty well. First impressions are it is huge with the sun shade... Don't know if I will run that very much... And it feels like a tank. All clicks and controls feel very nice to me.
Negatives / things to note:
-There is some CA for sure.
-I'm only getting like 19.5mils of adjustment (end to end, adjusting it so I am really bottoming out, not hitting the zero stop)
-Torwards the bottom of travel I'm getting some shadowing in the top right (could be normal?)
-There is a decent amount of distortion around the edges but it's really only noticeable in the tree.
-It isn't easy to get behind as my SWFA 20x but my stock isn't set up for it yet...

I have it sitting in some 3d printed test rings to help me determine what height rings I need to order (1.25" should be just about perfect but 1.125" would still clear easily). My stock is a super ghetto Magpul MOE I did a bunch of stuff to, so my head is just floating now which doesn't help testing.

Nothing in particular makes me dislike the MPO but it's not quite up to the standard I was expecting. That might be my fault for expecting too much but I've never had or even shot a scope in this class. I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep it or send it back and get the Optika6 5-30x56.
Yeah, Although I did not have the glass issues you are seeing, I found a much cheaper scope with better glass and more magnification for 1/3 the price, so I returned mine.

@Sanwizard what did you find? Is there a new Quigley Ford out?

The more I play with the MPO the more I like it honestly. The eye relief is so long compared to the SWFA that it is distracting to me. Oddly I'm really not noticing the distortion nearly as much now? Maybe I was just being hyper sensitive to it before? I might need to edit my last post...

After adding some height to my cheek piece the eye box has gotten a little easier to work with. When you move your head out of position with the SWFA it's almost as if the image sort of fades in to view where the MPO has more of an all or nothing, light switch effect.

Take it all with a grain of salt

IMG_20200203_140504.jpg

23" barrel and this monster covers over half. Lol

Oh, I'm only getting 19.2mils of total travel (and yes that is TOTAL travel, not limited by the zero stop). Right now that's my biggest issue.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Yeah, Although I did not have the glass issues you are seeing, I found a much cheaper scope with better glass and more magnification for 1/3 the price, so I returned mine.
$300 scopes arent really even worth comparing to $1000 scopes just as $1000 scopes dont compare to ATACRs/ZCO/TT, etc.
More mag does not mean anything. I can buy a barska 40x for like $200.
Start comparing eyebox, FOV, tracking, durability, etc. and you'll see.

@Sanwizard what did you find? Is there a new Quigley Ford out?

The more I play with the MPO the more I like it honestly. The eye relief is so long compared to the SWFA that it is distracting to me. Oddly I'm really not noticing the distortion nearly as much now? Maybe I was just being hyper sensitive to it before? I might need to edit my last post...

After adding some height to my cheek piece the eye box has gotten a little easier to work with. When you move your head out of position with the SWFA it's almost as if the image sort of fades in to view where the MPO has more of an all or nothing, light switch effect.

Take it all with a grain of salt

View attachment 7240438
23" barrel and this monster covers over half. Lol
The MPO is on the bottom. The one on top is the scope now on my 338LM. Its 6-30x56, BUT SFP versus the MPO FFP.
I really liked the MPO, and LOVE Brownells return policy, but the scope on top cost me $380 bucks on Black Friday, and the glass is actually clearer, and brighter than the MPO. The turrets on the MPO are much nicer though. You do get what you pay for there, but I will be using Strelock pro instead of turning knobs on the scope. I think my next scope will be the PA PLx 6-30x56 Apollo reticle for my 6.5. Dimitri's reticles are awesome!

Not sure why Brownells accounting dept is so screwed up, but I have been waiting for my refund since Jan 14th. Still nothing!
rpsMPO and CONT.jpg

I had to check their website because I thought you were joking. You weren't. The company isn't diverse enough to get my business:oops:. Where da brothas at?

I think all the names are fake kinda like when the Indian call center lady answers the phone as Kate.

I had to check their website because I thought you were joking. You weren't. The company isn't diverse enough to get my business:oops:. Where da brothas at?

I think all the names are fake kinda like when the Indian call center lady answers the phone as Kate.
I spoke with Janet Zhou, who was very nice. I bought this brand after looking at reviews from "Cyclops Joe" and a guy named "Zzzzit" on Youtube.

I figured they would be like Discovery or Osprey, but took a chance due to having a very low budget after my Nikon Black X1000 bit the dust on the 338LM due to recoil.

I bought their Taurus 6-30x56 FFP scope which Zzzit reviewed from Optics Planet. When I looked through it, I was astounded by the glass, and how smooth the parallax and zoom rings worked. I put that on a 308 with a Proof Research barrel, and it worked great. I then bought a Sightmark Pinnacle for $1700, and the MPO for $999. Once compared to the Taurus, I saw no real differences worth the extra cost, so I returned both and bought the Vector Continental, which has even better clarity than the Taurus. The 42mm ocluar lens makes for a large eyebox and excellent brightness, and the eye relief is 4 inches, which is perfect for my 338LM.

I have no Idea how these folks can make such a nice scope for such a low price, but my wallet and wife are happy.

Reactions: wade2big
Ok, so I can't shut by brain off when it gets started on a problem. I have determined that my MPO actually has 23.8mils of elevation, not 19.2. The problem seems to be in the post that acts as the hard stop for the zero stop. As the turret revolves it is essentially unscrewing and moving up. The first rotation flips the stop mechanism around and any subsequent complete rotations should clear the post (pictured below). This is how the 3-18 model can have 40mils of elevation, right? I believe the height of the post on my scope is slightly out of spec and does not allow the stop mechanism to clear at the end of the second revolution. The thickness of the mechanism is why it is shy of 20mils (2 FULL revolutions). If mine protrudes too much and is out of spec I want to send it back.

Could somebody with a pair of calipers please check the protrusion of their pin?

IMG_20200203_215406~2.jpg

Ok, so I can't shut by brain off when it gets started on a problem. I have determined that my MPO actually has 23.8mils of elevation, not 19.2. The problem seems to be in the post that acts as the hard stop for the zero stop. As the turret revolves it is essentially unscrewing and moving up. The first rotation flips the stop mechanism around and any subsequent complete rotations should clear the post (pictured below). This is how the 3-18 model can have 40mils of elevation, right? I believe the height of the post on my scope is slightly out of spec and does not allow the stop mechanism to clear at the end of the second revolution. The thickness of the mechanism is why it is shy of 20mils (2 FULL revolutions). If mine protrudes too much and is out of spec I want to send it back.

Could somebody with a pair of calipers please check the protrusion of their pin?

View attachment 7240928
I asked this question through the Brownells Chat thing. What they said was, since these scopes don't have a revolution indicator, and are geared to newer shooters, the elevation is capped at 2 revolutions (roughly 19 MILs). This is a hard stop built into the turrets. They will be coming out with an upgrade turret that allows full rotation to the internal MAX should you want that.

So in your case, scope is fine and don't start filing down nubbins.

I wouldn't modify my scope! I talked to several people at brownells and they said send it back (over chat and phone).... What you heard sounds plausible except one thing. Are the 3-18 turrets the same? With 40 mils of travel they would have to travel 4 full rotations. I guess they have to be different....

I think it's kinda shitty to advertise 20 mils and not deliver. BUT YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY TO GET WHAT WE ORIGINALLY SAID YOU WOULD GET!

I guess I just have to decide if I want to:
-Stick with this scope
-Get a replacement which most likely won't fix anything
-Get a refund and buy an Optika6

I wouldn't modify my scope! I talked to several people at brownells and they said send it back (over chat and phone).... What you heard sounds plausible except one thing. Are the 3-18 turrets the same? With 40 mils of travel they would have to travel 4 full rotations. I guess they have to be different....

I think it's kinda shitty to advertise 20 mils and not deliver. BUT YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY TO GET WHAT WE ORIGINALLY SAID YOU WOULD GET!

I guess I just have to decide if I want to:
-Stick with this scope
-Get a replacement which most likely won't fix anything
-Get a refund and buy an Optika6

They advertise the total internal adjustment, that doesn't mean you have access to all 40 MILs.

Ideally you zero near the center of the travel (where optics are best) and have access to 20 MIL up, more if you use a 20 MOA base. All optic brands will list total internal adjustments, which is from the very bottom to the very top, realistically you get about half that depending on the base you use. The closer you get to the edges of adjustment, the worse the internal optics get.

No idea if the 5-25 and 3-18 have the same turret but I'd imagine so. Not really an issue with the 5-25 since it only has 20 MILs internal anyway.

So today I realized that Brownells Norway had returned my money instead of sending me a new scope as we had agreed upon on the chat. I wonder if it is simply a misunderstanding or if they "know" I would return a second scope. Will try calling them tomorrow to find out what has happened.

I expect a misunderstanding or they maybe didn't have another available??? Mine is very solid.... I'm still sitting on it trying to decide what I'm going to do with mine

Just talked with Brownells Norway. Since the this was a warranty returrn they just returned the money and not a new scope. I had to order the scope again, this time at $1080 instead of $970. Not quite happy with that.

When the new scope arrives in about two weeks I will check it thoroughly. It better be close to flawless mechanically. As the daylight has returned to the high north I will also be better able to check the optical qualities (if the constant snow will just f...... stop for a while).

$300 scopes arent really even worth comparing to $1000 scopes just as $1000 scopes dont compare to ATACRs/ZCO/TT, etc.
More mag does not mean anything. I can buy a barska 40x for like $200.
Start comparing eyebox, FOV, tracking, durability, etc. and you'll see.

It seems times are changing. Having compared the Arken EP4 to the S&B PMII, T5xi (now sold) and MK5HD, I found that the Arken ELD glass handled CA much better than all of them and the overall IQ is comparable to scopes well above its price point. It also appears to be very well built, although to be fair, there are some minor first run issues with my copy (super tight power ring and the reticle was missing a couple numbers that didn't get etched on right). Time will tell if it is truly as robust and potentially trouble-free as they initially seem to be.

Last edited:
Looks like there will be a 1-8 as well, nut sure if europe only but saw something about it at the German show

Got my replacement scope today (same price as the first) , and can report that it does not have a wobbly windage knobb. It does unfortunately only allows for 19 mill adjustment.

My picatinny rail has approximately 10 mill (36 moa) tilt and I was able to zero the rifle at 100 meters using a Nikon 6.5-20x44 that has only 38 moa total adjustment (edit: with Signature rings) . If I remember correctly I still had one or two revolutions down on the scope. I believe my barrel is drooping. Anyway I plan on using the reticle more than dialing.

Will try to have a look through the scope in daylight in the next few days.

Last edited:
Have had a closer look through the scope indoors. There is a lot of shadowing as soon as the turrets are turned from center position.

At the lowest magnification the shadow starts appearing at 1 Mil, and appear to covers approximately 3-4 mil of the reticle at a full (10 mil} revolution.

At full magnification the shadow covers approximately 0.5 mil.
10x seems to be the sweet spot as the shadow almost dissappear.
Tried the same with my old Nikon Ucc. Absolutely no problems there.
My expectations for tomorrow are low. I am already quite annoyed trying to look at the oval sight picture.

Last edited:
I am sorry to bump up an old thread - but just for ya'lls information -

I just ordered a Brownells 5-25x56 MPO ... I have been looking at different scopes every night for a week or two, and every single night I decided on one which *is IT!!!* ... but I tell myself, wait till tomorrow, think about it, and the next day I decide to keep looking, find another one at night that IS IT!!! - lather, rinse repeat - anyway - I started reading about the MPO and really decided it was IT ... I added it to my Cart @ $999.99 and wound up finding a pair of TPS TSR Rings and added them to the Cart. When I clicked the button to check the shipping cost (which was like $6.95) - the price of the MPO changed to $899.99 on sale and the price of the Rings went to $104.41 on sale. I have no idea why ... I was even able to add a $40 off $450+ promo code. $971.35 out the door for everything.

Now when I look at the MPO scopes, they're coming up as "On Sale $899" in my browser. But if I load an Incognito Mode with a different browser - they are coming up $999.

I post all this just in case someone is looking for a scope like this or had been considering the MPO - it looks like you can get it for the $899 sale price plus promo codes if you mess around a little, add to the cart, try checking out, etc.

Anyway I'm excited, after recently buying a Tikka T3X UPR , I am not really able to swing S&Bs or Steiners etc. but this looks like it will be perfect for my needs long-term.

I'm trying to decide between a 5-25x56 MPO and an Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Really hard call for me, since I have to rely on specs and reviews, and can't put hands/eyes on them ahead of time. Any thoughts?

This is for a Badrock South Fork in 6.5 Creedmoor, for out to ~1k yards. PRS (maybe), target, steel. Prior experience is service rifle to 600, and I have an M&P-10 with an SWFA SS 3-15x42 (NOT HD) and a CZ-457 Pro Varmint with an SS 10x42, both in mil/mil, which to date are the nicest scopes I have owned. So that's where I am coming from.

I'm trying to decide between a 5-25x56 MPO and an Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Really hard call for me, since I have to rely on specs and reviews, and can't put hands/eyes on them ahead of time. Any thoughts?
Which reticle appeals to you the most? Which reticle do you think will best compliment the kind of shooting you expect to be doing with your rifle?

Which reticle appeals to you the most? Which reticle do you think will best compliment the kind of shooting you expect to be doing with your rifle?
The reticle is 50/50 for me. I like elements of both. That’s part of my difficulty :). I do intend to dial elevation and hold windage. I do think having the higher effective thickness at lower mags in the MPO will help me, but the higher brightness of the ETR MIGHT be needed. Decisions, decisions...

ETA: I went with the ETR (one of the no-box deals from Cameraland)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanwizard and rhsc
The reticle is 50/50 for me. I like elements of both. That’s part of my difficulty :). I do intend to dial elevation and hold windage. I do think having the higher effective thickness at lower mags in the MPO will help me, but the higher brightness of the ETR MIGHT be needed. Decisions, decisions...

ETA: I went with the ETR (one of the no-box deals from Cameraland)...
Cameraland is awesome.

I ordered my MPO last November, black Friday for 899.00$.

I am very happy with it and the more I shoot, the more I like it! The split crosshair kind of grows on you, at least it did for me.

I had a plan to not spend more than a grand on the scope for this rifle and think I made a great choice.

FYI.................Check out F3R Machine in Wisconsin for a mount !

Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
I ordered my MPO last November, black Friday for 899.00$.

I am very happy with it and the more I shoot, the more I like it! The split crosshair kind of grows on you, at least it did for me.

I had a plan to not spend more than a grand on the scope for this rifle and think I made a great choice.

FYI.................Check out F3R Machine in Wisconsin for a mount !

I feel completely the same and I absolutely love mine. I also got it for $899 - I have *no idea why* - it showed up as $999.99 and I added it to my cart. I also added TPS TSR rings - they weren't quite $135 but $134.XX something or other. When I clicked "my cart", the price changed for both - $899.99 for the scope, $104.XX for the rings, and I was amazed - but I was not wasting time in case it was an accident... however, I did a quick Google for Brownell's Promo Codes and got an *additional* $40 off - and I immediately checked out, $971 delivered - could not be happier. The more I use it the more I love it. It's awesome to me. I know others have nicer scopes - I just don't think anywhere close to the price.

I don't have any skin in the game, I couldn't care less what people get. I also bought an Athlon Argos BTR around Christmastime and it's a *great scope* for $300 (I think you can get them for as low as like $270 on Amazon on some days...) - I just think this MPO is the best value for dollar hands-down. I certainly love mine and with my Tikka T3X UPR, I feel like I have much more expensive stuff than I actually paid. That may not sound like a lot, but I made a career out of recommending wine to people that would drink more than they paid - and people *love* to feel like they're getting high value for dollar ("Quality-to-Price Ratio" QPR - in the term of a certain famous wine critic.). I personally feel like the MPO (and certainly the Tikka!) has a skyhigh QPR.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I feel completely the same and I absolutely love mine. I also got it for $899 - I have *no idea why* - it showed up as $999.99 and I added it to my cart. I also added TPS TSR rings - they weren't quite $135 but $134.XX something or other. When I clicked "my cart", the price changed for both - $899.99 for the scope, $104.XX for the rings, and I was amazed - but I was not wasting time in case it was an accident... however, I did a quick Google for Brownell's Promo Codes and got an *additional* $40 off - and I immediately checked out, $971 delivered - could not be happier. The more I use it the more I love it. It's awesome to me. I know others have nicer scopes - I just don't think anywhere close to the price.

I don't have any skin in the game, I couldn't care less what people get. I also bought an Athlon Argos BTR around Christmastime and it's a *great scope* for $300 (I think you can get them for as low as like $270 on Amazon on some days...) - I just think this MPO is the best value for dollar hands-down. I certainly love mine and with my Tikka T3X UPR, I feel like I have much more expensive stuff than I actually paid. That may not sound like a lot, but I made a career out of recommending wine to people that would drink more than they paid - and people *love* to feel like they're getting high value for dollar ("Quality-to-Price Ratio" QPR - in the term of a certain famous wine critic.). I personally feel like the MPO (and certainly the Tikka!) has a skyhigh QPR.
Mine was definately a black Friday special. I was kind of on a mission because I waited almost two months to order it, rolling the dice it would be cheaper on black Friday. Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI.................. your signature is awsome ! I caught that part of Pulp Fiction again yesterday!! Truly a classic.

• Haha
Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
FYI.................. your signature is awsome ! I caught that part of Pulp Fiction again yesterday!! Truly a classic.

I have to be 1001% honest with you - I had no idea what you were talking about at first. I guess my settings were set to not display any Signatures on posts - and so I did that, and I'm still thinking, "What is my signature? I have no idea... " - Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies, and I've had the wallet for almost 20 years (in 2005 people used to GO NUTS when they saw it, "HOW DID YOU GET THAT???!" - Uhh, I did this thing called Googling it, lol.." - ANYWAY -I had to dig into my profile to find my Signature, and I laughed out loud - literally , laughed out loud. I have *zero memory* of making that my signature. Absolutely zero. But, now, in the spirit of both Zed, Jules Winnfield, and the MPO, I am going to have to keep it lol.