• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Brownells disappointing service after placing order

In a couple years they have gone from my go to supplier to usually the last place I look
curious, who are your 'go to's'? i'll have to look around some.

again, with their periodic 10% off, and for me, reasonably fast shipping, brownell's has been my go-to for a while now.

curious, who are your 'go to's'? i'll have to look around some.

again, with their periodic 10% off, and for me, reasonably fast shipping, brownell's has been my go-to for a while now.
It takes a little more looking but they are out there. I buy quite a bit from Midway, Natchez, Nss, Gun Shack and Graf’s. Excellent experiences with all. Many others that also offer excellent service.

They aren't the only ones. And they get the $ out of your account within MINUTES.

So, recently (based off the feedback from this thread) I enrolled in the "Edge" program. Man! That 2 day free shipping is sweet! I've had two orders already (using it,) and I can see why everyone says it's well worth it.

Reactions: Diver160651
So, recently (based off the feedback from this thread) I enrolled in the "Edge" program. Man! That 2 day free shipping is sweet! I've had two orders already (using it,) and I can see why everyone says it's well worth it.

I am willing to step in and sacrifice myself for you to enjoy the satisfaction of creating a lot more orders, with deliveries to my house.

Please order the following and send to my house, I'll deal with all the pain of opening the boxes and dealing the trash:
AXSA 6 CM - well just because
I had a much bigger list but tried to keep it to items in stock or at least what they'll charge your CC immediately.. everyone hates dealing with back orders.

;)

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI

Love it! You’ll really smile when you order some chicken shit single part you never would wasted $10 shipping on in the past. Think of how fast you’ll earn your money back.

On another note. If I’m having an issue, I live chat with someone. Even works on my iphone. I’m hundreds of orders in now, and can’t recall a bad experience yet. I’m sure there have been some, but totally overshadowed by good experiences.

Brownells has been my go to for some time. Midway was a while back but every box I get from Midway is completely smashed. My local UPS guy is awesome and he says a lot of Midway boxes coming into the hub here in CO look like that. Gotten a lot of used stuff from Midway when it should have been new in the package. Arc rings all beat up two different times. Used bow sight. Etc. Guess people are returning stuff and they are selling it again as new. Not doing that again..

Brownells I've never have an issue with... Yet..

Reactions: DannC
I’ve had mixed results with Brownells. Sometimes it ships out next day while other times it takes a few. Midway seems to be a bit more consistent

I'm like one of the other commenters here. Been using Brownells since the 70s. What's this world coming to? Complaints about a company like Brownells over instances of slow shipping? LOL

I ordered last night at 1130pm EDT, with one day (edge member) shipping, hoping for a Tuesday delivery. I'll update when it arrives.

Tracking # just arrived and is awaiting pick up

Last edited:
I’ve had mixed results with Brownells. Sometimes it ships out next day while other times it takes a few. Midway seems to be a bit more consistent
Yes, Midway is much prompter. I get an immediate confirm. Then 'your order is being prepared' Then within two days later another email alerting me that the order has been shipped w/tracking info. Consistantly that way.

I try to use DSG for most items...parts though makes it tough. I’ve also experienced delays from all the major parts retailers like Brownell’s and midway...I’d like to try and avoid them but unfortunately ya gotta do it sometimes...

Yes, Midway is much prompter. I get an immediate confirm. Then 'your order is being prepared' Then within two days later another email alerting me that the order has been shipped w/tracking info. Consistantly that way.
That's because Larry charges 2-3X as much for shipping
And once it arrives from Midway your item may still be in the package and undamaged.
And then there's this

Reactions: LG65CM and jab00
I ordered last night at 1130pm EDT, with one day (edge member) shipping, hoping for a Tuesday delivery. I'll update when it arrives.

Tracking # just arrived and is awaiting pick up
A&D 120i arrived safe and sound this morning at 1130edt. Nicely double boxed and wrapped with air fill packaging...

No complaints here.

I'm like one of the other commenters here. Been using Brownells since the 70s. What's this world coming to? Complaints about a company like Brownells over instances of slow shipping? LOL

In my case, it's the give a $hit attitude I have received when I have called to check on an order.

I have posted before that Brownell's is the Sears of the gun world. Started ordering from them in the mid 80's. Had a commercial account and received up to 30% discounts on everything but gunsmithing items with one or two new catalogs every year.

I don't receive any catalogs and the discounts have disappeared. At the time I was a member of two gun clubs with about 550 members. When it became widely known I was placing two to three orders a week for thousands of dollars.

Just like Sear's they have gone down hill and their Brownell's branded gerar is made by the cheapest and poorest quality manufactures in the business.

For those who think they have good or even reasonable prices you are not looking very hard.

Reactions: Average guy
I live 1 hours away from Brownells. I used to be able to order a product at 8am, get the cheapest shipping and have it show up the next day. They changed their shipping options and now the cheapest option takes me 3-4 days because it goes down to Kansas City and sits for a day. I don't know that this particular issue is their fault, but I do miss the shipping of the "old days". I usually pay a few bucks extra to not have to wait.

I have posted before that Brownell's is the Sears of the gun world. Started ordering from them in the mid 80's. Had a commercial account and received up to 30% discounts on everything but gunsmithing items with one or two new catalogs every year.

I don't receive any catalogs and the discounts have disappeared. At the time I was a member of two gun clubs with about 550 members. When it became widely known I was placing two to three orders a week for thousands of dollars.

Just like Sear's they have gone down hill and their Brownell's branded gerar is made by the cheapest and poorest quality manufactures in the business.

For those who think they have good or even reasonable prices you are not looking very hard.
I was just discussing this with my dad today. He has been a commercial account since 1968. He’s so fed up with them he only orders what he can’t get anywhere else. I used to pour over Brownells catalogs as a kid. I’m my mind there was nowhere else to order from. Guess I’ve changed my tune.

I've had a gunsmith account (military armorer) for well over 20 years now. Has Brownell's changed? Yep. But as with everything around us, change is inevitable. Brownell's was always geared for the professional gunsmith/armorer, not really the general public, to say otherwise is just foolishness. These days, as commented above, the internet allows consumers to find stuff anywhere, and so Brownell's has had to change to meet the new market space. Has it all been good? Nope. Has it been bad for Brownell's service to consumers? No, not really. They have just changed focus to a broader market. And as with anything like that, when quantity goes up, quality tends to suffer in some areas, despite the best planning. All those online videos showing how to use their products do cost money, and they ultimately have to be paid for by the consumer.

I still use Brownell's a fair amount, but they have changed over the years. Be that as it may, the change has not been all bad (two day shipping nowadays with an Edge Membership is pretty sweet).

I thin this is one of those cases where it really depends on how you view the glass; half empty, or half full.

Pretty sad we have to pay for what other companies provide for free. Either way I believe they need to step their game up a notch. In a couple years they have gone from my go to supplier to usually the last place I look
No one is giving you free shipping- even when they say free shipping. They are slipping you the dick, but telling you they are not. An amortized shipping fee structure is built into their pricing.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Bringing this old thread back.
Ordered and item on 7-22 shipped on 7-23 OK so far.
I live in IL. right next to IA. where Brownells is located.
As of Saturday still haven't received item. Shouldn't take 5 business days to travel 1 state.
I know it's "free" shipping, but shouldn't be crappy shipping.
Noticed they have upped the price on a lot of things, probably to compensate for the 10% off & "free" shipping promos
Getting tired of waiting a week for an item to travel 7 hours by car. (it was a neck bushing)
Not the first time this has happened.

Jesus christ then pay for the good shipping.

I ordered some shit from iowa last tuesday and it arrived on thursday in texas for free shipping plus 10% off and it was already on sale cheaper than anywhere else.
Brownells is fine.

Yea if you are in a hurry never choose free shipping from anywhere. I find that $50 a year for free 2 day and lifetime returns is more than worth it. I sent back some peterson brass that I could not make shoot after a month of load development. Some of it had been fired 3 times and they refunded no questions asked. Can't beat that.

I may have to jump on the edge membership for Brownells, hadn’t herd much about it but seems like a good deal. I have had really good luck with Brownells and some shitty. I just way the good with the bad. I always receive my stuff, but don’t be in a hurry with the free shipping.

Just remember, you have to manually select the free two day shipping offer each time you order. If not, it defaults to free 5 day shipping.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Mine always ship out next (business) day. I just put two orders in one over the weekend that shipped Monday and one yesterday that just shipped today. I am an Edge member so I’m not sure if that matters? It’s worth it FYI, IMO if you generally always shop at brownells.

man, zero complaints from me (not an edge member). been ordering 1-2x/week from them and everything is shipped same/next/day after. again, if you don't want to be stuck with the vagaries of the USPS, add a cheap box of .22 ammo and it will ship ups or fedex. with their 10% or better coupon codes (and the free shipping), they have been VERY competitive with ammo prices.

3 or 4 orders a year for 20 years. Except for one or two back orders no problems. My last order was Saturday, they said it would come Friday, I got it Wednesday.

Lets try this again with another order...

Order placed at 11:00am this morning using 2 day EDGE shipping

Received "order has shipped" message at 2:18pm with tracking number, also today.

Email from FedEx stating a Friday delivery at 7:38pm

Last edited:
Generally speaking when I order from Brownells I just forget about it and when it shows up I am happy. Never really had an issue with them with items showing up eventually. If I need something fast Midway is a lot more speedy but Brownells has sometimes better prices/selection.

Reactions: medbill
I don't shop there often. My last order took a while to ship with the free shipping over $49 coupon code. Same with Midway.

Lets try this again with another order...

Order placed at 11:00am this morning using 2 day EDGE shipping

Received "order has shipped" message at 2:18pm with tracking number, also today.

Email from FedEx stating a Friday delivery at 7:38pm

Updated FedEx delivery for today... that's got to be a record, two day shipping delivered inside of 30ish hours from time of order. Excellent work Brownell's and FedEx!

My recent experiences with Brownells is hit-n-miss. Last month ordered a replacement decap unit for a die and a set of small recapping pins (5-pack). Order arrives at 11-days, and the 5-pack has one pin. No problem. Quick email generated a phone call and they sent me a replacement 5-pack the next day. It arrives 7-days later.…replacement pack (5-pack). It has ONE pin. Brownells can’t count, or their inventory has an error. Email - no response.

Last order was two “kits” and an extra item. I wanted to try the new 115 RDF. Order arrived - 105 RDF. Good grief !!!! I’ll just shoot these up and order from Midsouth or Natchez

The one time I had to send a defective item back to Brownells, couple years ago, there was no problem. Seems their CS is really good, but order filling is not accurate IME.

So far my experience with Brownells has been positive. With regards to shipping times, I just try to be patient. At least its not NFA.
I usually wait for an item to go on sale then add a coupon code for the beast deal possible with dollars off and free shipping. Coupon codes can be found on gun.deals. And don't forget to go through active junky for 4% cash back. The coupon codes helps with the tax pain and the active junky cash goes to the wife so she allows the purchase.

I've had better service, but Brownells isn't the worst. I ordered a Timney trigger from Midwest Gun Works; got the wrong one. E-mailed MGW- Ally replied, said she'd attached a return shipping label. They had the correct trigger in stock and would send it out when tracking showed the wrong part was on the way back to them. So I had to box the wrong trigger up, drive 10 miles to the post office and mail the thing back to them to correct their mistake. Wasted my lunch hour, working for MGW for free. Tracking shows the trigger on it's way back- I sent them the tracking number, no reply from MGW. I'll never do business with them again.

I wanted to add my $.02. My son and I ordered parts for our 1911 builds for his birthday. Order arrives and instead of a 1911 barrel, there is a cheap ar15 trigger in the box instead for the Kart 1911 barrel. Tried to contact them but their email service was down so I tried the “live chat”, what a joke that was. Guy told me the information I gave him was incorrect and refused to help me. I HIGHLY recommend shopping anywhere else! Countless orders from midway and I’ve never had a single issue with receiving the wrong parts and their customer service is excellent. After googling Brownells, it’s apparent that many others have had the same issues of receiving wrong parts and incompetent customer service. I will NEVER recommend this business to anyone and will spend my money anywhere but here.

I've never had a problem with Brownell or Sinclair. Shit happens be prepared like the Irish.

It seems to me that very time i am lookimg for something that they are out of stock. But if you want to hear a good one than listen to this. have a Lyman cyclone tumbler and rubber gaskey was leaking so i just ordered some it has been two weeks now and still has not shipped. They told me that they are working on orders from september 25 2020 that was on october 22 20220 . Now that is ccustomer service at it's best .

While on any random site I peruse to buy gun stuff, I notice the shelves are largely bare for popular stuff. That said, anything I have ordered from Midway, that is in stock, has been shipped in the same timely manner that we are all accustomed to.

Have no problem with MidwayUSA. 99.9 percent of the time they have just what you are looking for. Just a little problem with Lyman right now .

I also have had issues with Brownells. I made 2 orders about a week apart. The 1st was shipped FedEx/USPS and took 3 weeks to arrive the second was FedEx only took 4 days. The issues is the transfer to the USPS they are in no hurry to get your stuff to you but when i mail USPS only its been fine no issues.