• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning A-bolt help

future_sniper

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2009
Ruther Glen, VA
I am looking at building up a Browning A-bolt as a tactical rifle and I was wondering if anyone knew of companies that would rebarrel one? I have only found one and that is Pac-nor and they are saying it will take 18-19 weeks to rebarrel and chamber so I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternative places to get one rebarreled? Thanks for the help.

<s>Why would you do this?</s>

<s>Of all the custom actions available and all the quality smiths that work on 700 style rifles, why would you consider spending money on building a rifle that only one company will work on? </s>

<s>Did you ever consider there might be a reason why nobody works on them? </s>

That sounds like a great idea, you should totally do it.

Last edited:
I just had a 243 stainless stalker's barrel removed today by my gunsmith. I informed him of all the hype about how browning secures the barrels etc. etc.. He also has my 7mag to tear down for another build. I will be talking with him tomorrow. He is located in the Houston area.

MAn I looked forever trying to find a smith that would bother looking at them, and they are hard to come by. I just ended up selling it and getting a rem 700, get results much faster. Brownings are great out the box rifles. But there i would call triple g gunsmithing in stephenville texas and there is also another smith north of dfw that will work on them.

Well I talked to my smith today and he said all it took was two firm hits on the wrench and the 243 factory barrel came right off. I do not know who might be interested in this info but I thought I might post.

I have a Browning A bolt LH in 300 WSM. Shoots very well 3/4 inch groups. I have it bedded in a Richards Micro Fit laminate stock.
I bought the rifle for $200 because some kid dropped it at Gander Mountain. The old stock was cracked and they could not fix it. According to their policy they could not special order a stock without it being paid for first. It sat there for a year and the gunsmith knowing I was left handed offered it to me. I didn't want it so to be impolite so I offered them $200 and they took it.
It is an excellent hunting rifle but as the barrel is very slim I only fire four shots before I allow it to cool off. Since it is light it can knock your hat in the creek.
I don't know about making target rifle out of it as I have not seen any feedback someone doing this. I would also wonder if anyone makes a precision stock for a Browning A bolt.

Manners does not do Brownings at all, of what I know(which isn't much) Mcmillan is about it. I wish I could come across good deals like your left handed action NAME ENOUGH.

bell and carlson do a stock for it

Attachments

• _3486.jpg
    _3486.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 33
  • _3489.jpg
    _3489.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 26
Brownings are good but there are easier/cheaper guns to make into a tactical rifle. good luck with it if you insist upon having something different. If the a-bolt is your only gun you will be money ahead to sell it and get into a something more aftermarket friendly.

I am not trying to persuade folks to go browning. I just feel some may dislike them because they are non traditional. I have spent a lot of time deciding foryself cause to many discouraged it. But everyone is different and what others feel is limitating other might feel its a convenience. Here is what I have debated

For those who shoot left handed the stock choices are already limited to only ambidextrous (only disadvantage for me would be if manners made their t5a stock for a lefty)
Rear tang safety
Smooth as silk action
Was going to use A5 stock regardless
I think the bottom metal arrangement is a nice feature (liking this prevents having to go aftermarket dbm $$$$

Possible disadvantages
Upfront cost of donor
Limited stock choices, but lefties are already use to this
Bottom metal if you do not care for it and prefer dbm for more capacity
Trigger only if honing and spring swap doesn't achieve the goal
Bolt trueness and action screw arrangement (not knowledgeable enough to comment)
Can't flute the bolt
Fine thread so some smiths may have to purchase additional tools
Possibility for limited overall cartridge length, this may not be issue at though

Shillen Rifles will work on em.....I went through this same thing a few months ago

some of the bolts come fluted sorta already, attached pic is the Browning A Bolt Varmint Tactical

Attachments

• _3494.jpg
    _3494.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
Future_sniper

First see just how well the regular barrel shoots with reloads. Mina my sons and my fathers are all under a half a minute. Mine and my sons are capable of quarter minute groups. I can give you the .270 win load that they like. Next there are three companies that will make a stock for you. No one that I'm aware of makes a bottom metal kit for it, so your stuck with five rounds. To address the haters: if I see another Remington model 700 clone I think I'll puke. That said I want a surgeon action ((puke) they are bad ass!) any way the Abolt is hands down my favorite action. As to barrels llija, shelin and few others will make a barrel. Any competent gun smith can rebarrel it. It's just not that hard. Now if your is a shooter for gods sake don't rebarrel it. If you want all that swoopy shit like suppressors and breaks just have it crowned and threaded. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new barrel. You can also get a mount that converts your standard scope mount to 1913 rail. In my opinion it's a mistake and it adds a ton of unnessasary weight and gives you very little rail space. It's a lot easier to put your rail junk on the stock. I'm cheering you on!

Bumping this with a question, anyone think the cdi dbm kit for mauser 98 would work on the abolt (same screw spacing)?