• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning A-Bolt Rebuild

EWeeZee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2022
USA
I recently inherited a Browning A-Bolt Medallion .270. The stock is pretty beat up and it's likely to sit in a closet in its current condition. It has sentimental value, and I was thinking it would see some use with a new stock and possibly a muzzle brake so my kids could use it. However, upgrading a rifle like this is a process I'm unfamiliar with. My initial thoughts were a Bell & Carson stock and a 4-port brake from muzzlebrakesandmore (I still need to contact Browning and confirm the barrel profile). Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Suggestions welcome.

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate John Browning's work. I have Brownings...
Your Browning A-Bolt is a fine piece of work. Unfortunately, it does not lend itself to many modifications.
Comparing your weapon to a Remington 700 footprint is like comparing apples to oranges.
Having sentimental value is priceless. Clean it up, shoot it and keep it maintained in the configuration it is in.
JMHO

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate John Browning's work. I have Brownings...
Your Browning A-Bolt is a fine piece of work. Unfortunately, it does not lend itself to many modifications.
Comparing your weapon to a Remington 700 footprint is like comparing apples to oranges.
Having sentimental value is priceless. Clean it up, shoot it and keep it maintained in the configuration it is in.
JMHO
When you say it doesnt lend itself to many modifications, why is that? Just asking out of ignorance.

There’s just not much after market support for Browning’s, which is sad because I really like their actions and short bolt throw. Every time I pick one up, I want one, but the fact it’s hard to change barrels and stocks out has kept me from buying one.

I would glass bed it, refinish the stock with Tru-oil, and get use to wood. It’s likely a decent shooter if the barrel was cared for.

a-bolts are decent guns (i have one) and i hate wood stocks (get dinged up, hold moisture) but in your case i'd try to refinish the stock as that in part probably leads to the sentimental value. adding a brake will help with recoil but will increase noise so it may not be a net improvement. you also should be able to find a better recoil pad, or shorten the stock a little and add a recoil pad.

A friend of mine re-worked his A-Bolt not too long ago. He found a brake that works with the Browning BOSS threads and put it in a McMillan stock.

You might do well to ask Browning about putting yours in a new stock when you talk to them. They have a solid gunsmith staff.

Resized_20221115_145530.JPG

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
A friend of mine re-worked his A-Bolt not too long ago. He found a brake that works with the Browning BOSS threads and put it in a McMillan stock.

You might do well to ask Browning about putting yours in a new stock when you talk to them. They have a solid gunsmith staff.

View attachment 8001145
Your friend's A-Bolt is pretty close to what I had in mind. Do you know what brake he used? This one has the BOSS-CR on it.

Your friend's A-Bolt is pretty close to what I had in mind. Do you know what brake he used? This one has the BOSS-CR on it.
He said it's a Hawkins Precision. Their website doesn't advertise one to fit, so I don't know if they threaded it for him, or if the gunsmith did.

yours has the CR? thinking you could just swap it out with their regular boss if you can find one? i had an abolt in 300wm with the boss and it shot pretty softly.

When you say it doesnt lend itself to many modifications, why is that? Just asking out of ignorance.
There is no such thing as a dumb question .
I looked at upgrading my A- Bolt. Did my research and talked to some good Smiths about some they have worked on. First thing I was told was the way Browning installs the barrel in the action, it's almost impossible to unscrew. Some showed photos of the threads pulling out before it would unscrew. What would I do with an action with stripped out threads ? Start looking for parts you would need and check price and availability. I chose to acquire a Remington 700 foot print action and build from there. I have no regrets. My A-bolt has fired 6 shots and is sitting in my safe.
This was just my choice. There are many options. But, I can't walk in a gun shop or pawn shop and buy a weapon with sentimental value. My Dad had many very fine weapons.... When he died, I got his Case pocket knife. The weasels got all his weapons. I got the sentimental value.

Reactions: Pfitz1