• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing browning Abolt

so467

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
doylestown ohio
i have a browning abolt in 300 rum wanted to lighten rifle some by switching from wood to composite. i then took the stock to a gunsmith and had it glass bedded. rifle shot about an inch at 100 yards with wood now with composite its opened up to 2.5 inches. the barrel is free floated back to the last 2 inches before the reciever. all screws are tight any sugestions?

Re: browning Abolt

Its possible that the move to a free floated bedded stock has altered the harmonics of the rifle. Try some different loads to see if you can find one it likes.

I have a browning abolt in 300wsm. I free floated, pillar and steel bedded mine to an inch in front of the recoil lug. After, I had to find a new load, but it shoots better now then before. Good luck.

Free floating may not be the answer for a sporter barrel.

Roll some aluminum foil making a shim - put it in between the stock and forearm. It should be just thick enough to put a little pressure on the barrel. Take it to the range - if it shoots better with pressure you can make it permanent with a little epoxy.

I have a A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 RUM. I have had it for seven years and was looking to trade it for a rem 700 in 300 UM because of the poor accuracy even with handloads and six years of load development!! The original stock was a rather poor synthetic that had terrible flex. It was not floated from the factory so I did it myself years ago. Long story short the best I could do was 1.5" at 100. Replaced the factory stock with a B&C without the aluminum block and then Bedded the action and the entire barrel. That's right, the whole thing to within 1/2" of the end of the stock. guess what? 1/2" groups now with 200gr sierra gamekings on top of 90gr h-1000 3.6" COL. CCI large rifle mag primer. It appears that the majority if not all of my accuracy issues stemmed from the rather slim barrel of the ABolt. Try the pressure on the barrel with something temporary and see what happens. It will probably help out!

Good Luck!